D&D General Do you like LOTS of races/ancestries/whatever? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Mos Eisley’s Cantina is an interesting case figure. The whole scene is meant to convey the impression of a diverse galaxy, but in RPG terms, few of these species are “PC races”. Obviously if you dig far enough you’ll find stats for every single one, but even “wide” settings like SW typically narrow down to more familiar choices.
I disagree with this pretty strongly. SW doesn’t narrow down at all. Each new installment features new species, and every iteration of the roleplaying game features more and more species the longer it is in publication. The video games narrow down, but like the SW rpg core book, that’s a matter of format limitations, not worldbuilding.

Hell, Star Wars Saga Edition eventually got rules for making new species.

doctorbadwolf

Pirates of Dark Water was a super niche cartoon that only had 2 seasons and no reboots.

The fact that it is constantly brought up in nostalgia and mentioned for reboots displays the very high appeal it had despite only being incomplete due to production and cost issues.

That's what you want as a DM. A setting that hooks into players' memories without needing a bunch of sessions to do so.
Big influence on my Islands World setting. No humans (well, as far as the PCs know), but everything else is on the table, and exists somewhere.

First session I ran for my wife and our girlfriend a few years ago, I had their “uncle” Orrobo the Grung Ranger accompanying them, they were both elf/orcs, they got hired by a Shadar-Kai, and then teamed up with a kenku and a tortle, not to mention all the gnomes, Minotaurs, Goliaths, dwarves, various cat people, Dragonborn, and others.

I still managed to have about half a dozen distinct cultures that are not primarily or entirely one race, but it brought into the spotlight something that tends to more go unnoticed when it’s all humans.

That is, not all members of a culture have the same history within that culture, and most cultures tend to have some degree of mixing of people whose ancestors were from far off, and met up in a migration period or via gradual immigration, or more unsavory things like raid prisoners, enslavement, “taking home a foreign wife” (which tends to be somewhere between the previous two), etc.

That dynamic is impossible to ignore when the Capetian apothecary is a dwarf, his best friend from back home is a frog person, and his wife is a gnome, but they’re all Capetian, all have some variety of “not-French” accent, and all have complex feelings about the Eladrin nobility of Capet, and grudges against the soldiers and nobility of Albarón, ancient rivals of Capet.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What's Klassico? My searches bring up only Mortal Kombat, which... I didn't think had wood elves?
Klassico is my own setting. It is a setting of how the "Classic" races and classes would look if the lore behind them were treated seriously and members of them would act as if the flavor text were real. Elves and dwarves act and buildsocieties like centuries old beings with powerful magic wood. Sorcerers and warlocks spring from magical events and the domains of powerful beings. Orcs have cities and nations as you cannot support a large population on pillaging.

Klassico has a high race count as the formally "monstrous unplayable" race have to be "logicked" into being sensible. And that civilizes them as the support systems needed to make them survive uplifts them once given. So Orc, all types of goblins, and many other end up being added to the PC race list growing it to pass 20..

Faolyn

(she/her)
Klassico is my own setting. It is a setting of how the "Classic" races and classes would look if the lore behind them were treated seriously and members of them would act as if the flavor text were real. Elves and dwarves act and buildsocieties like centuries old beings with powerful magic wood. Sorcerers and warlocks spring from magical events and the domains of powerful beings. Orcs have cities and nations as you cannot support a large population on pillaging.

Klassico has a high race count as the formally "monstrous unplayable" race have to be "logicked" into being sensible. And that civilizes them as the support systems needed to make them survive uplifts them once given. So Orc, all types of goblins, and many other end up being added to the PC race list growing it to pass 20..
Awesome! THanks.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
A curated group of “natural” peoples with the rest available as mutants and anomalies.
Yeah, this I dont mind. So having an elite of werewolf padins or a Hedgehog Prince or a king who happens to be cursed to be a Leonid giant is cool and mythic, having whole nations of them is meh.

Thars one thing I loved about Birthright and its showcasing of The Gorgon and the Lamia etc

Laurefindel

Legend
I disagree with this pretty strongly. SW doesn’t narrow down at all. Each new installment features new species, and every iteration of the roleplaying game features more and more species the longer it is in publication. The video games narrow down, but like the SW rpg core book, that’s a matter of format limitations, not worldbuilding.

Hell, Star Wars Saga Edition eventually got rules for making new species.
Good points

doctorbadwolf

Good points
Thanks!

I think one thing that people miss is that having every race in the world doesn’t mean they all have had an impact on history, live on the same continent, and are in competition for the same resources. In Islands World in the archipelago the current campaign is set in, you only see a small amount of Eladrin, few Dragonborn or Dwarves, only the southern reaches of the main island has any significant gnome population, halflings are mostly coastal nomads, you mostly see tabaxi in the island interior rain forest region, and Goliaths are mostly in the north in the rocky cliff scattered isles. Orcs, wood elves, Shadar-Kai (a separate race in my games), and Grung and their cousins, are fairly common.

In the region far to the east where the Franco-Spaniard Eladrin nations come from, there are frogmen in Capet’s forests, but otherwise it’s flipped, with Eladrin and Gnomes and Dwarves being quite common.

If we went back a thousand years, those regions would only have their common folk.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't think that they can be played as anything other than humans. It's Thomas Nagel's "What is it like to be bat?" essay but for made-up fantasy races. Fundamentally whether it's aliens in Star Wars or Star Trek, aliens are meant to reveal something about human nature, albeit in a different guise, and we are humans biologically who only know how to think, act, and be humans.
I’ve been tempted in the past to play a leonin named Wittgenstein in a one-shot and just roar to make this point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads