D&D General Do you like LOTS of races/ancestries/whatever? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to know you can brush off someone wanting to have a living, logical and consistent setting with several variations on ‘does it matter?’ And ignoring the actual point that all those questions were leading up to, the player doesn’t consider the world when they make what they want they just make it.

A player just wanting to crowbar in an entire settlement to a constructed world to facilitate their character seems akin to someone taking a marker to someone else’s painting because ‘well I thought it would look better with a tree there’
As a player I do consider the world when when I make my character. It is in fact very important. What makes it so important is that the DM works with us to help build the world around our characters. It is it his or her world, but our shared world. That is the flexibility that builds buy-in IMO

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As a player I do consider the world when when I make my character. It is in fact very important. What makes it so important is that the DM works with us to help build the world around our characters. It is it his or her world, but our shared world. That is the flexibility that builds buy-in IMO
See, I prefer my world to feel as much like a real place as possible, and too much stuff added to the setting for a PCs backstory breaks that for me. I know it's hyperbolic, but I certainly don't need the ability to shape reality to buy into the real world, nor any fictional world depicted in my favorite stories. As a player, the more agency outside my character I have, the less I feel immersed in the fantasy. That includes worldbuilding when I'm not the DM.

Scribe

Legend
I think that they are just pushing back on DMs using the excuse of “logic” for not having racial diversity. Preferences are fine, just don’t try to mask them behind logic. Just be upfront that you prefer a more mundane setting

Few if any are arguing against a diverse selection of player races.

There are simply different thresholds on what counts as 'diverse enough'.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
See, I feel your stance is, "if the player wants something, just give it to them". I don't think its fair to the DM to just do whatever the player wants.
I mean, this is the fundamental disagreement point. One side says “Why does the DM have to be the one to bend?” The other side says “Why wouldn’t the DM want to bend?” And we’ll argue this ad nauseum because there’s no right answer.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The history has always been the hardest part. It is a LOT of work and evolution of the world over close to 30 years. It isn't like it sprang into existence all at once LOL!
That's why I use so many races. It's easier (o me) to think of how different races would come into conflict than slightly different factions of the same race.

This is partically why GRRM is taking so long with his books. He has the beginning and end. However since everyone is human with high political intrigue aspiration, making the middle interesting and make sense is hard. It'spartially why the last 2 seasons of the show stank.

But why do Hobgoblins and Dwarves fight? Dwarves say Hobgoblins did something dishonable and Hobgoblin nature wont let a major insult go without bloodshed. 4 seconds of thought.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
See, this particular rationale I disagree with. It’s logical to assume in a world with 60 races that tolerance is just as likely to be the norm as intolerance.
It doesn't make sense to me either.

I live in NYC, the most international multicultural city on Earth.
If I were to go make to Manhattan for a drink at a random non-ethnic bar and don't see people of 10+ national backgrounds, I'd be confused. So would an adventurer sitting in a tavern in Waterdeep, Neverinter, or Sigil.

Incenjucar

Legend
It doesn't make sense to me either.

I live in NYC, the most international multicultural city on Earth.
If I were to go make to Manhattan for a drink at a random non-ethnic bar and don't see people of 10+ national backgrounds, I'd be confused. So would an adventurer sitting in a tavern in Waterdeep, Neverinter, or Sigil.
Yep! I live in Seattle, and diversity is the norm here. We have furries and lolitas and cowboys and drag queens and people with parrots in coffee shops and it's normal. I've also lived in a place with little diversity and it never stopped creeping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads