Do you modify/write-in your game books?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
. . . Writing in RPG books is, I suspect, a Grognard thing that's been getting less common as the average quality of RPG books went up.
Makes sense. It's easy to write in a book that already looks like it's printed on a notebook. But the "errata" thing seems pretty common these days, and I would much rather reference just the primary book, with notes, than reference both the book and its errata.

My personal game books are designed as spreadsheets. So if I modify anything, it's the game-specific spreadsheet, not the book/original.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I never write in my books, except maybe to put my name inside the cover. Maybe.

If I need to bookmark something for a gaming session, I usually just put a Post-It note in while I'm prepping my materials, and then remove it after the game.

I come by it honest; I worked in a library for 4 years.

Last edited:

Bilharzia

Fish Priest
There are three kinds of book owners.

The first has all the standard sets and best-sellers—unread, untouched. (This deluded individual owns wood-pulp and ink, not books.)

The second has a great many books—a few of them read through, most of them dipped into, but all of them as clean and shiny as the day they were bought. (This person would probably like to make books his own, but is restrained by a false respect for their physical appearance.)

The third has a few books or many—every one of them dog-eared and dilapidated, shaken and loosened by continual use, marked and scribbled in from front to back. (This man owns books.)

HOW TO MARK A BOOK
by Mortimer J. Adler

I have to mark this video NSFW - Not Safe for Whales - in this context whales are rpg book buyers who largely fit into the second category above. The rpg 'industry' relies almost entirely on these people, who make up 90% of the market for rpg books.

The below video includes many potential triggers which make it NSFW - minor offences such as post-it notes give way to more serious practices like written paper notes attached to scraps of paper, multiple marginalia, some filthy video of dog-earing (not sure how that got onto YouTube), then final Full-Page notes, and some very hardcore highlighting often using mixed colours on a single page. If you've watched similar documentaries about a person's descent into depravity and a wasted life, this is one such story. You have been warned.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I have to, to prioritize the things I know I'm going to wish I had prioritized. I use tabs, highlighters, tiny post-its, underline stuff, and add notes in the margins.

As a kid, I picked up underlining and writing notes/comments in my books from my dad, the very-old-school college professor.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases