D&D 5E Do you need mechanical choices after 1st level to be D&D?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So I'm kicking together some ideas for an OSR-inspired 5e game I may run next year. Basically, I'm contemplating developing a new set of backgrounds, that are more mechanically rich than standard 5e backgrounds. Much closer to what you would get from picking a class at 1st level. PCs would pick race and background, and that's it. After that, there's no class development. When you level, you get more hit points (Hit Dice are either decided by the background, or will be a standard d10, I haven't decided) and proficiency bonus when indicated, but that's it. None of the backgrounds will have any sort of Vancian casting, some will have cantrips, some will have the ability to use 1 or 2 1st level spells at-will (much like Warlock Invocations, and not player choice.) The background abilities will, in general, scale with level (more damage, more inspiration or superiority dice, broader effect) but won't suddenly become drastically more powerful, change in function, or have new options open up.

The goal is to make character growth more organic to the story by tying in your mechanical advancement to the narrative. The PCs gain powers by finding items in lost dungeons, meeting and befriending mysterious swordsmen, or training with masters of their craft.

So, basic question, is there something fundamental to D&D that would be lost in such a scenario? Am I inviting my players to tie me up and kick me in the crotch for proposing such a terrible idea? Am I missing anything? (I have a bunch of supporting house rules for this idea, but I haven't posted them.)

Wereox

First Post
Just curious, would it allow for any kind of multi-classing (or I guess multi-"backgrounding" since its not really classes per se)?

TwoSix

Just curious, would it allow for any kind of multi-classing (or I guess multi-"backgrounding" since its not really classes per se)?
Not any sort of explicit rule, but I'll certainly planning on letting the players discuss modifications with me to make their backgrounds what they want. Some sort of hybrid (a little of background A, a little of background B) is certainly on the table. I'm planning on making about 25 or so backgrounds, so hopefully they can't find something they like without too much modification.

Just as a reference, if you've ever played Talisman, I want the backgrounds to be somewhat like the classes in that game.

Nothing lost IMHO. We played B/X like that for years and had a great time. If the mechanical widgets aren't there stealing all the attention, then players may enjoy the adventures and focus on the environment. Another benefit of more organic character development is the increased focus on the present instead of theory crafting builds up to level 20. Sounds like fun to me.

Nope, not at all. D&D is what you make it. Sounds quite intriguing, although the parameters of scaled spell effects (assume also applies to eg lock picking skills?) may be a ton of work.

Wereox

First Post
To answer your question, IMO there is nothing fundamental lost. It sounds like an interesting and fun campaign.

...that said, it will also require a *lot* of work on the DM's part. It will be hard to use pre-made modules, suggestions, monsters etc. that depend on character levels, as your players won't have a standard set of abilities. It will be difficult to make sure your players are having an equally enjoyable and balanced time. I see a lot of adjustments and tinkering ahead, and a large time commitment to make it work, simply because so much of the "level" system is baked in. But if you have the time, go for it, and then tell us how it works!

This is exactly what I was thinking. You're going to have to make a huge effort in creating original material. You'd need to change/create monsters and rules to fit your version of the game.

But honestly, if you can work out the kinks, it sounds like it has the potential to be fun :)

TwoSix

To answer your question, IMO there is nothing fundamental lost. It sounds like an interesting and fun campaign.

...that said, it will also require a *lot* of work on the DM's part. It will be hard to use pre-made modules, suggestions, monsters etc. that depend on character levels, as your players won't have a standard set of abilities. It will be difficult to make sure your players are having an equally enjoyable and balanced time. I see a lot of adjustments and tinkering ahead, and a large time commitment to make it work, simply because so much of the "level" system is baked in. But if you have the time, go for it, and then tell us how it works!
I'm not overly worried about that, for a few reasons.

1) 5e has a combination of loose balance and high survivability that fits the concept. I can throw things that are a little too hard at the party and still expect them to pull through, although they may have to retreat.
2) A lot of the magic items I'm putting in the campaign are consumables. If the party feels threatened, they'll have the capability to nova if it's truly needed. (This also feeds into the resource management aspect of the game, something I'm trying to encourage for this style of play. Consumables can also be sold, and spending gold is the source of XP.)
3) The game is going to be a sandbox, on a fantasy archipelago. The bulk of the game will be sailing from island to island, and seeing what they find. Most islands aren't tremendously difficult at the shores...it's when you plumb the unknown interiors that you find giant beasts, cultists of the Leviathan goddess summoning demonic servitors, or portals to the feyspires of the ancient elven empire. The PCs won't get overwhelmed with challenges unless they choose to overextend themselves.

TwoSix

I think all of your points are good ones, and I think your campaign idea is a great one! My only cautionary note, having run quite a few non-standard campaigns in the past is this-

Players will surprise you. The things you don't know of, yet, will surprise you. Just know, going in, that you will be forced to put in additional time and make additional adjustments. If you view that as an exciting opportunity, instead of a drudgework, then you should definitely proceed.
I have no problem with that. My strengths as a DM have always been NPC characterization, improvisation, and building interesting encounters. My weaknesses have always been maintaining campaign and plot continuity, and doing pre-game workups (I'm terminally lazy!). So I'm working on a game where I give myself lots of time to address my weaknesses in hopes of mitigating them. There's no overarching plot, the game is about a classic D&D trope of establishing your place in the world through exploration, looting, and building up connections with important people (or not-people). All of the major islands will be sketched out, and random generation tables will be in place for minor, random excursions. Since Vancian spellcasting isn't in the game, I'll be able to maintain some control of the character's abilities by judicious placement of powerful magic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases