• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you plan out your character's advancement in advance?

Do you plan out your character's advancement in advance?

• Always

Votes: 83 27.9%
  • Often

Votes: 132 44.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 60 20.1%
  • Never

Votes: 23 7.7%

Anon Adderlan

Explorer
As asked on another site (though I've had time to make it somewhat clearer I think)...

Do you have your character's growth planned out in advance of play? In other words, do you already know which skills, feats, and classes your character is going to have/be at each level before play even begins?

Maybe not every specific skill point/feat/talent per level, but I usually have a pretty clear picture of what direction I want my characters to go, and typically have a mental checklist of what level I can get feat/talent/power X. Helps make sure the character can do what I want them to do, with as little deadweight as possible, such as a feat/talent that looked cool at the time but later on proves to be almost worthless.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
First of all: Welcome to ENWorld!

As to the question: Yes, a lot of the character is planned before I play him:

Skills: Most of the time, I just pick a number of skills and max them out: A human fighter with int 12 gets 4 skill points per level, so I have 4 skills, always at maximum rank. Some of the time I pick up languages as I go along, sometimes skill points are divided up (more or less evenly) among 2 skills or so, but most of the time, I don't spend much time each level to pick skills.

Classes: Since they're one of the most defining features a character has, my character concept usually dictates the class(es) involved. Of course, sometimes a cool new PrC shows up that fits the character, or things happen to the characters, and my plans change on the spot, but usually I know what class(es) I'll get.

Feats: Now that depends. Some concepts need certain feats (Two-weapon fighting for a rogue with two short swords, or quicken and persistent for a battle cleric) or there's big feat chains involved (like a fighter concentrating on one weapon, getting all weapon-specific feats for that weapon), but sometimes, they're not critical for the character, and I often pick something up as I go along (or I got a new feat coming after the important ones are already there).

FX (spells, psionic powers, manoeuvres, and the like): Assuming that there is a choice, it can go either way, or be a mix of the two: A wizard, for example, will get magic missile, fireball and meteor swarm, and also invisibility (and greater invisibility), fly, and mirror image, but beyond that? A character from the Tome of Nine Swords will have his selection predetermined by the disciplines he chooses. Again, sometimes I wait and let the campaign unfold before choosing some of the spells (Devilhunters? No fireball! Demonslayers? No lightning bolt!).

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
More or less, yeah.

If I've decided I want to play a finesse type fighter, say, then there are some obvious class, feat and skill choices. If I'm playing a wizard, then I probably won't decide what spells I will want in my spellbook in detail, because I might run across some spells I wasn't thinking of during the course of play.

Quel_technoh

First Post
I generally make my character change according to what skill and abilities he uses most often; so if I do a lot of swimming, I will get a skill point in that, but he'll still have ranks into Spellcraft and Concentration and such for simply using magic. I feel that that is better because it resembles real life more, and allows me to connect my character to what has happened to him.

Boddynock

First Post
I voted 'rarely'. I would have said 'never' but have just planned out a character in detail for the first time. It came out of a concept for a dwarven smith - and I've just scoured the books to come up with a workable character to achieve that.

Usually, though, although I have a strong character concept, I like to see how the character itself develops - and sometimes I've been surprised.

phindar

First Post
Yeah, most of the time. I don't usually plot out the full progression, but I have an idea where I'm headed over the next few levels at least. My current character I plotted out 1-20 because he had a lot of fighter levels and the build was feat-intensive, so once I built him to 14 it was fairly easy to tack on the other 6. Skills are much more fluid for me. I generally have an idea of a skill central to the concept that I'm going to keep at max ranks (like say, Sense Motive), and everything else I put points into as I need them.

shilsen

Adventurer
hong said:
Yep. It's always good to see at the end of the campaign how badly wrong I was.

:D

Very rarely for me. I have at best a vague idea of how I'd like to see the PC progress, but I make the level by level decision as they come up, in a fairly organic manner.

Remove ads