Dragonlance Do you plan to buy Dragonlance?

Do you plan to buy Dragonlance

• Yes

Votes: 73 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 39.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.4%

Yeah, though what exactly went down behind the scenes and what discussions were had before Wizards and the authors agreed to move forward is still an unknown. One thing that seemed very telling was at the last Wizards Direct, they announced a full line of reprints of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels, but not a word about Dragons of Deceit.
To be fair, while the sample chapters of Dragons of Deceit didn't strike me as particularly good, it's only been out a couple of months I'd be surprised if they needed to reprint it yet. Some of the older Drizzt novels have been out of print for a fair while i think.

Not so much that they'd be reprinting Dragonlance already (not to mention, I've no idea where the publishing rights to the older books ended up), but that Dragons of Deceit didn't even get a mention at all with the Dragonlance promotion in Wizards Direct.

To be fair, while the sample chapters of Dragons of Deceit didn't strike me as particularly good, it's only been out a couple of months I'd be surprised if they needed to reprint it yet. Some of the older Drizzt novels have been out of print for a fair while i think.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
It really does depend on what they're writing. I know a fair number of comic book writers, including my father, and it seems that most of them just shrug when the characters that they created get changed by subsequent writers. They had a job they were hired to do, and even if they really wanted to make that character they know that the character doesn't really belong to them. I imagine its similar for characters created for D&D novels. The writers wrote for a company; their characters belong to that company.

I'm sure there are some writers who can't stand any changes to their characters, but I doubt that they're a lot of them.

Hearing Salvatore talk about how crushed he was (and how absolutely crushed Ed Greenwood was) when WotC ordered the Faerun timeline moved ahead 100 years...

Only Salvatore managed to recover from it story wise and thats cause he and Drizzt have been carrying D&D on their shoulders for awhile and had the clout to "fix" most of this characters. Ed, not so much.

I still run Faerun as it was BEFORE that 100 year bump and IMO WotC almost completely ruined it.

Last edited:

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Hearing Salvatore talk about how crushed he was (and how absolutely crushed Ed Greenwood was) when WotC ordered the Faerun timeline moved ahead 100 years...

Only Salvatore managed to recover from it story wise and thats cause he and Drizzt have been carrying D&D on their shoulders for awhile and had the clout to "fix" most of this characters. Ed, not so much.

I still run Faerun as it was BEFORE that 100 year bump and IMO WotC almost completely ruined it.

Those are the kinds of hoops authors have to jump thru each time there is a new edition of the game, and new races and classes are introduced, or other changes like that are introduced.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Those are the kinds of hoops authors have to jump thru each time there is a new edition of the game, and new races and classes are introduced, or other changes like that are introduced.
This was different though. This basically killed off the majority of characters they used in their stories. Especially Salvatore who lost everyone except Drizzt. So many Faerun iconic characters died of the Spell Plague or of old age, it's never really recovered IMO.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
This was different though. This basically killed off the majority of characters they used in their stories. Especially Salvatore who lost everyone except Drizzt. So many Faerun iconic characters died of the Spell Plague or of old age, it's never really recovered IMO.
That sounds more like a feature than a bug. One of the biggest complaints one finds about Forgotten Realms is the plethora of god-level NPCs. Clearing the board seems like it could have been a nice opportunity to pare things back.

Remove ads