• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Do you plan to buy Dragonlance?

Do you plan to buy Dragonlance

• Yes

Votes: 73 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 39.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.4%

Stormonu

Legend
As the title states. I know it's early in the game, but I'm curious both about people's initial stance, and if it changes over time. I intend to poke my head in here from time to time and see how the vote may shift over time, so feel free to change your vote if your opinion changes before, on or after release.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Yep. I don't know if I will run the adventure, but I would still like to have the book and the Warriors of Krynn board game. If my friend who DMed a brief Dragonlance campaign back in the day decides that he won't run it, then I might (assuming I like the overall story).

Even if I don't run it, I would love to read it for the sake of nostalgia... and to support WotC's effort to revive old settings (that said, I am passing on Spelljammer... just not my cup of tea). I can see myself getting some use/inspiration out of new rules and character options in the DL book, and hope the integration with the board game is good enough that I might want to port the concept into one of my Greyhawk or Midnight campaigns.

EDIT: so far, I'm quite impressed with the art, which appeals to me more than much of the art in prior WotC 5E publications.

Li Shenron

Legend
Undecided.

I've never played it and I know it's a classic settings worth knowing about.

I have zero interest in character supplements after Xanathar, and already have too many adventures, so the only 5e books I generally look forward are monsters books and campaign settings.

But while new settings are great, when it comes to classic settings I wonder if it is just straight better to simply buy the original books of the 80s and 90s. You get the truly original rendition of the famous setting as it was intended, not the "adaptation". And most importantly you get a LOT more information than in a typical 5e book.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I wasn’t a Dragonlance reader as a kid and grabbed the first book when this first started getting teased. I think I got about a third of the way through before dropping it, I just didn’t enjoy the experience. So I voted no: no nostalgia and didn’t like the book makes it easy to skip.

If I see the warfare game get talked up and it’s possible to play online on Owlbear Rodeo with a Rulebook pdf, though, I might grab that for when I want to run a war in what will probably be a simpler form than MCDM’s Kingdoms and Warfare ended up being.

delericho

Legend
No. The only remaining classic setting I'll consider is Dark Sun. I'll also take a look at any genuinely new setting they produce, although that would be a really hard sell.

Aldarc

Legend
Probably not. (A) I couldn't get through the first book before throwing it away. (B) Updated for modern sensibilities or not, the setting had a lot of icky things about it. (C) I don't really have a good grasp of what adventuring or a campaign in the game looks like, since it feels to me more like a setting where the books happen than a setting where PC play happens.

OakenHart

Adventurer
Dragonlance was my first non-homebrew D&D setting I got into (via the original Chronicles novels), so special place in my heart. At a minimum, I'll be picking up the board game and looking into how it can possibly be utilized for mass battles, as I've been trying to get such to work in 5e with not particularly great success.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I cannot overstate the impact the Dragonlance Chronicles had on my imagination and my concept of what books could do. I was young when I read the, maybe 11 or so, but nothing else has ever come close to that experience. I had the privilege of telling Margaret Weis all this directly a few weeks ago, and she was very gracious even though I'm sure she hears the same thing a million times a day.

Anyway, that Lord Soth cover is amazing. I'll be picking it up.

Last edited:

Remove ads