Do you prefer your character to be connected or unconnected to the adventure hook?

pemerton

Legend
I see the argument. It's the "but you could have scripted the exact same thing (in an infinite universe of scripts)." The parenthetical is the part that's often left unspoken. That a thing can happen does not mean it must or should happen, and the idea that a game that is created in the moment could have been scripted, given the perfect attempt in a sea of infinites, is not a strong or even useful argument.
To me, this goes back to the issue of time. At what point in time are we performing our analysis of play and the products of play?

After the event, any even halfway-successful RPG session produced a fiction that consists of a series of (in-fiction) events. And in the real world there were various moments of play that occurred that are at least loosely correlated with those in-fiction events.

But the previous paragraph doesn't get us any further than a RPG was played. It doesn't tell us how the fiction was created, nor what the moments of play consisted in (eg who got to make what decisions subject to what constraints?). It is the answers to those questions - how?, what? - that determine the actual play experience, as a participant in a process that begins at (say) 2 pm on a Sunday afternoon and finishes around 6.

Adventure Path play yields one range of answers to the how and what questions - a huge part of the how answer is We (or perhaps I, the GM) read it from the book, and inevitably therefore a significant part of the what answer is The GM decided what happened and told everyone else.

This is very different from answers like the fiction was created by allowing the winner of an opposed check to establish the outcome and play consisted in rolling dice to see who wins and hence whose desire for the fiction gets realised. This latter doesn't become a version of the former simply because the GM, in narrating a consequence or in framing a fictional context the leads to an opposed check, had regard to an evinced PC motivation.

Again, this is a failure of understanding on your part.
In fairness, maybe that's true. I am open to it. I just feel like I am not wrong in this case.
Now to be fully fair, I am also a fan of people believing they do one thing, but are actually doing another. There are several writers out there that insist they do not know where the story is going to take them. That they start to write and the "characters take over." There are many authors that refute this. I am in the middle: I think the emotion may take over, but do not believe for a second the majority of the story wasn't thought about, and in a way, plotted ahead of time. This could have been the night before the writing session or a year before. It could have been stored in short term memory or written on a hundred page outline sheet. But, in the end, the writer, if they are trying to tell a story (with character arcs, full plot, etc.) is choosing how to place their A to B to C.

But as I stated earlier, I am open to the possibility of being wrong. This is why I ask for videos of play to see what people mean by "fill in the blank."

Sure, but what of it? Even though a DM can more or less predict how the players/PCs will react to something, if the DM intentionally doesn't use that prediction to inform what comes next in the game and instead presents it neutrally, does it matter?
Great question. I don't think it matters except to the actual playability of the story.

We have all seen what happens when a writer decides to not use a script - Game of Thrones. The reason everyone was so upset at the last season because they didn't pay attention to character motive or use the prediction. Instead they pushed for a closure. This failure created a break in characters. This failure created an even bigger break in the setting. This failure created a break in the story for a majority of its viewers. To me, this was like a DM deciding to be on the railroad or multi-path or sandbox, and then switching to a random encounter.

But I will concede. Maybe, without any prep of how an NPC or villain might act based off their culture, past, or prep from the DM. Without any prep to where the players may end up, be it dungeon, forest, or tower. And without any prep as to how any of that will play out, and how that might effect the area around it, the NPC, players or villains. Maybe without any of that there are DM's out there that weave an enriched laden with the elements of a story. I do think it might be possible, especially after hearing about many other's experience with other game systems that try to do this.

I would love to see a video of a play session or be in a game or just once, see it a convention.

I do appreciate others for engaging. It is appreciated and opens my mind to other possibilities. I will try to remain open. Thanks.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
In fairness, maybe that's true. I am open to it. I just feel like I am not wrong in this case.
Now to be fully fair, I am also a fan of people believing they do one thing, but are actually doing another. There are several writers out there that insist they do not know where the story is going to take them. That they start to write and the "characters take over." There are many authors that refute this. I am in the middle: I think the emotion may take over, but do not believe for a second the majority of the story wasn't thought about, and in a way, plotted ahead of time. This could have been the night before the writing session or a year before. It could have been stored in short term memory or written on a hundred page outline sheet. But, in the end, the writer, if they are trying to tell a story (with character arcs, full plot, etc.) is choosing how to place their A to B to C.
You've almost achieved a nice little epistemological closure there. By asserting the premise that people think they do thing A but are actually confused and are instead doing thing B, you've established a way to refute, without any effort, anything that disagrees with your other assumptions. In this case, you've assumed that all stories are generated ahead of time, at least in structure, and so inevitably flow out with those pre-thought structural pieces no matter what the author or authors intend. To seal this, you assert that even if they think they do something else, the reality is that they're just confused and are pre-scripting unconsciously. That's interesting, for sure, but it's not a useful tool for analyzing games. It's a tool for assuming you already have the right answer and don't need to choose.

But as I stated earlier, I am open to the possibility of being wrong. This is why I ask for videos of play to see what people mean by "fill in the blank."
I don't recall "fill in the blank" as being used to describe my approach, and would disagree that it's a useful description. However, if you require video, look for Let's Plays from any PbtA game or Burning Wheel. These games, unlike 5e, cannot be scripted and so showcase the playstyle well. For 5e streams, it would be very difficult to find such a video as the predominant way to play is GM scripting, although I'm told Matt Mercer occasionally does it. Couldn't say, I'm not a big consumer of videos of other people playing games.

Great question. I don't think it matters except to the actual playability of the story.

We have all seen what happens when a writer decides to not use a script - Game of Thrones. The reason everyone was so upset at the last season because they didn't pay attention to character motive or use the prediction. Instead they pushed for a closure. This failure created a break in characters. This failure created an even bigger break in the setting. This failure created a break in the story for a majority of its viewers. To me, this was like a DM deciding to be on the railroad or multi-path or sandbox, and then switching to a random encounter.
I think it's a category error to judge how other media is presented in terms of RPG play approaches. Game of Thrones had many issues, show-runner fatigue being the largest reason the last few seasons failed. That and the writing team appeared to be good at adaptation of an existing story and bad at actually creating that story. Or, my pet theory, Martin had no idea how it was going to end (he appears to write on the fly rather than scripting anything but a few set pieces -- like Hodor) and so gave the show writers something that was bad. This fits with my personal theory that GRRM hates everyone, individually, and wishes ill upon you. Regardless, looking at the end of the HBO series and trying to draw parallels to GM approaches is a bad fit.

But I will concede. Maybe, without any prep of how an NPC or villain might act based off their culture, past, or prep from the DM. Without any prep to where the players may end up, be it dungeon, forest, or tower. And without any prep as to how any of that will play out, and how that might effect the area around it, the NPC, players or villains. Maybe without any of that there are DM's out there that weave an enriched laden with the elements of a story. I do think it might be possible, especially after hearing about many other's experience with other game systems that try to do this.
This seems like a goalpost slide. We've moved from "thing are prescripted in A - B - C form by the GM" to "any fiction established prior to an interaction is also prescripting in the A - B - C way." If there's an established NPC, or set genre assumptions in a game and those inform a GM's adjudication, that's not prescripting, that's not violating the established fiction of the game. If I have an NPC already established in play to have a motivation, leaning on that motivation in future interactions isn't at all prescripting in the way you've presented. If this is your argument, then you've badly presented it, and it begins to take on a trivially true nature -- established fiction should always form the baseline of ongoing fiction.

Now, that said, there is a difference between established in the GM's mind and established in the play of the game. The former does tend to lead to prescripting, because events playing out according to information only possessed by the GM takes on that forced outcome appearance. However, that is not required to play. If the GM is only using information established in play -- no secret notes, for instance -- then there's no prescripting; everyone at the table already has access to this information and can approach that NPC with that in mind. Arguing that established fiction is the same as prescripting outcomes is making your statement so broad as to be trivially meaningless.

I would love to see a video of a play session or be in a game or just once, see it a convention.
Then look to games that feature this style of play instead of trying to find the video of a D&D game that doesn't usually feature this style of play.
I do appreciate others for engaging. It is appreciated and opens my mind to other possibilities. I will try to remain open. Thanks.
One can ask for little else. Again, I offer the tool that assisted me: either assume everyone else is wrong or assume that you are wrong. If the former, done, move on. If the latter, take what they say at face value, assume it works, and then try to understand how that can be without pulling on your former assumptions. It's like being told you can reach a certain ledge in a video game, but you cannot see how that can work and so assume people are pulling your leg. You could, instead, assume that maybe they've a different perspective on the issue and it is possible -- how can that be? You ask, and they describe rocket jumping, You balk, this is clearly a stupid idea! But, if you keep the mind open, and try (expecting and accepting that it will come with some failure and difficulty), you learn rocket jumping and new paths open. You can play new levels without rocket jumping, and get good results (you did before, so clearly), but you could also play those levels with it and find interesting new things or new approaches. Best might be to blend in a bit of rocket jumping here and there.

pemerton

Legend
I am also a fan of people believing they do one thing, but are actually doing another. There are several writers out there that insist they do not know where the story is going to take them. That they start to write and the "characters take over." There are many authors that refute this. I am in the middle: I think the emotion may take over, but do not believe for a second the majority of the story wasn't thought about, and in a way, plotted ahead of time. This could have been the night before the writing session or a year before. It could have been stored in short term memory or written on a hundred page outline sheet. But, in the end, the writer, if they are trying to tell a story (with character arcs, full plot, etc.) is choosing how to place their A to B to C.
There are some fundamental differences between what you describe here and RPGing played using the general sort of approach I and some other posters - @Campbell, @Ovinomancer - have described:

(1) RPGing involves multiple authors (ie players and the GM).

(2) RPGing uses mechanics to allocate authority among those authors, and to set parameters for that negotiation. Here's Vincent Baker on the point:

Roleplaying is negotiated imagination. In order for any thing to be true in game, all the participants in the game (players and GMs, if you've even got such things) have to understand and assent to it. When you're roleplaying, what you're doing is a) suggesting things that might be true in the game and then b) negotiating with the other participants to determine whether they're actually true or not. . . .​
Mechanics might model the stuff of the game world, that's another topic, but they don't exist to do so. They exist to ease and constrain real-world social negotiation between the players at the table. That's their sole and crucial function.​

(3) The authorship takes place in the moment of play. But it is constrained by the mechanics - eg if a player fails a check, then what is authored must reflect the PC's failure in what they tried to attempt - and also by other system elements - eg in Burning Wheel, the GM's narration is to be established having regard to PC build elements like Beliefs and Relationships. These constraints are what produces story without any participant having to write a story in advance.

Maybe, without any prep of how an NPC or villain might act based off their culture, past, or prep from the DM. Without any prep to where the players may end up, be it dungeon, forest, or tower. And without any prep as to how any of that will play out, and how that might effect the area around it, the NPC, players or villains. Maybe without any of that there are DM's out there that weave an enriched laden with the elements of a story. I do think it might be possible, especially after hearing about many other's experience with other game systems that try to do this.
Here's Paul Czege on GM narration of NPCs:

[W]hen I'm framing scenes, and I'm in the zone, I'm turning a freakin' firehose of adversity and situation on the character. It is not an objective outgrowth of prior events. It's intentional as all get out. . . . I frame the character into the middle of conflicts I think will push and pull in ways that are interesting to me and to the player. I keep NPC personalities somewhat unfixed in my mind, allowing me to retroactively justify their behaviors in support of this. And like Scott's "Point A to Point B" model says, the outcome of the scene is not preconceived.​

In the quote, and I think in your other posts, you are focusing on pre-authored plot as key to establishing a story. But that is not the only way. As systems like BW, Apocalypse World etc illustrate - and as Czege illustrates - story can be generated by pre-establishing certain elements, like features of character and/or theme or genre, and then using a mechanical system to establish pacing and dramatic trajectory.

What I'm still unsure about is this: are you familiar with (say) Apocalypse World, or Blades in the Dark, or Burning Wheel, but don't agree with how others are characterising the play of these systems? Or are you not familiar with these systems?

hawkeyefan

Legend

I think one key thing to remember here is that just about any written work that we wind up seeing has gone through at least some amount of revision and reworking and editing. A first draft is far more likely to have elements that surprise the author than the final draft.

With a RPG, we're generally only having one draft and that's crafted through play. Now, there may be elements that are predetermined by the GM....the amount of which will vary from game to game, and from group to group. I think the default assumption is always that the GM will decide all manner of things ahead of time, and that's because that's the way that D&D tends to do things, and so it's the prevailing method.

But I don't think it's necessarily better. It may be at times, and for certain things....but definitely not always.

I look back at how often I'd get frustrated as a DM because some villain that I'd created.....I spent time on the mechanics and even more on the backstory and motives and connections and their place in the world and so on....would be viewed by my players no differently than some random orc. Very often the amount of details we tend to come up with for NPCs is far greater than it needs to be, and not necessarily suited for their place in the ongoing story.

Leaving those elements unestablished until play means it's easier to see how the game has gone by the time of the NPC's introduction, and to then tailor things to be more suitable or meaningful. It's easier to make the details you do give to the NPC resonate with the players because they seem to matter more.

You've almost achieved a nice little epistemological closure there. By asserting the premise that people think they do thing A but are actually confused and are instead doing thing B, you've established a way to refute, without any effort, anything that disagrees with your other assumptions. In this case, you've assumed that all stories are generated ahead of time, at least in structure, and so inevitably flow out with those pre-thought structural pieces no matter what the author or authors intend. To seal this, you assert that even if they think they do something else, the reality is that they're just confused and are pre-scripting unconsciously. That's interesting, for sure, but it's not a useful tool for analyzing games. It's a tool for assuming you already have the right answer and don't need to choose.
I would whole-heartedly disagree. I said, "I feel." Then conceded that you are correct. There is no escape hatch. I asked myself, after re-reading the thread, if this was a feeling I had or I could prove it. Turns out it was a feeling. I cannot prove feelings, especially when you and many others offered proof of the contrary. That is why I ended with "I concede".
I don't recall "fill in the blank" as being used to describe my approach, and would disagree that it's a useful description. However, if you require video, look for Let's Plays from any PbtA game or Burning Wheel. These games, unlike 5e, cannot be scripted and so showcase the playstyle well. For 5e streams, it would be very difficult to find such a video as the predominant way to play is GM scripting, although I'm told Matt Mercer occasionally does it. Couldn't say, I'm not a big consumer of videos of other people playing games.
These are the statements that make me wonder if you or others have read and understood what I wrote. I never argued other games couldn't accomplish what you say they do. In fact, I stated the opposite five times now. I say other games could create story without pre-forming A to B to C. I said it so much, that I felt like I was being patronizing. Yet the same games keep being brought up as evidence. I said this exact sentence five times: "I am talking about D&D, specifically 5e."
This seems like a goalpost slide.
No movement of goalposts. Still talking about D&D, specifically 5e. Still talking about pre-scripted encounters. And rightfully said that it could be done based on the evidence others have offered.
There are some fundamental differences between what you describe here and RPGing played using the general sort of approach I and some other posters -
I think your correct. Authoring a story and playing an RPG are two fundamentally different things. Bad analogy, it's just what came into my mind. My bad.
What I'm still unsure about is this: are you familiar with (say) Apocalypse World, or Blades in the Dark, or Burning Wheel, but don't agree with how others are characterising the play of these systems? Or are you not familiar with these systems?
I have, at the fifty or so conventions I have attended, played many "story games." They seemed extremely reliant on the group being able to elevate the story, as opposed to D&D, where two or three players can elevate the story (because many players enjoy the ride, but do not want to drive; they like the destination, but don't want to pack). They were fun and enjoyable experiences. And I apologize as I do not remember the names. If it had struck a chord with me, I would have jotted it down and bought the game. But it didn't.
Some of the systems I am familiar with are more traditional RPG's: D&D, PF, Conan, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Numenera, RoleMaster, Middle Earth, etc. None of these offers the mechanics everyone here is speaking about. Well, maybe Conan, a tiny bit.
But again, as stated earlier, I was discussing D&D.

Thanks again everyone for expanding my horizons. It is appreciated.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
@Scott Christian

I am not particularly interested in narrowing this discussion down to Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition. This is in RPGs General. It's one of the few areas in the site where we get to talk about different games.

Indie designers often cut their teeth on developing the GM techniques they would build into their own games using more mainstream games. Ron Edwards ran long running RuneQuest and Champions games using the proto-form of what would become Sorcerer style GM techniques. A lot of the foundations of Apocalypse World came out of Vincent and Meg Baker's experiences playing Ars Magica. When Apocalypse World came out John Harper who would later go on to design Blades was initially unimpressed because he thought that was just the way you were supposed to GM.

I have successfully carried over GM techniques from games like Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, and Sorcerer into more mainstream games. Some games that have worked fairly well include :

• Demon - The Descent
  • Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition
  • Exalted Third Edition
  • Edge of the Empire
  • Godbound
  • Legend (Mongoose RuneQuest)
  • Legend of the Five Rings Fifth Edition
  • Pathfinder Second Edition
  • Stars Without Number
  • Vampire The Requiem Second Edition
My attempts with D&D Fifth Edition did not fair well mostly because I was dealing with new players that wanted a more mainstream approach. Also the systems fight against you in a way they do not in some other mainstream games.

@Scott Christian

I am not particularly interested in narrowing this discussion down to Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition. This is in RPGs General. It's one of the few areas in the site where we get to talk about different games.

Indie designers often cut their teeth on developing the GM techniques they would build into their own games using more mainstream games. Ron Edwards ran long running RuneQuest and Champions games using the proto-form of what would become Sorcerer style GM techniques. A lot of the foundations of Apocalypse World came out of Vincent and Meg Baker's experiences playing Ars Magica. When Apocalypse World came out John Harper who would later go on to design Blades was initially unimpressed because he thought that was just the way you were supposed to GM.

I have successfully carried over GM techniques from games like Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, and Sorcerer into more mainstream games. Some games that have worked fairly well include :

• Demon - The Descent
  • Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition
  • Exalted Third Edition
  • Edge of the Empire
  • Godbound
  • Legend (Mongoose RuneQuest)
  • Legend of the Five Rings Fifth Edition
  • Pathfinder Second Edition
  • Stars Without Number
  • Vampire The Requiem Second Edition
My attempts with D&D Fifth Edition did not fair well mostly because I was dealing with new players that wanted a more mainstream approach. Also the systems fight against you in a way they do not in some other mainstream games.
I have found the implementation of rules outside of D&D are difficult to implement as well. Even things like crit charts are hazardous.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I would whole-heartedly disagree. I said, "I feel." Then conceded that you are correct. There is no escape hatch. I asked myself, after re-reading the thread, if this was a feeling I had or I could prove it. Turns out it was a feeling. I cannot prove feelings, especially when you and many others offered proof of the contrary. That is why I ended with "I concede".
You put "I concede" in the third or forth paragraph. In your first, which this was a response to, you said that you "feel like [you are] not wrong in this case" and then tread into discussing how you "do not believe for a second" that writers can be surprised by their own writing. This was a response to me discussing how games work, so it's hard to see how your "concession," which was caveated, in a later paragraph responding to another poster was the strong statement you see to think it was.

That said, I'll let it rest.

These are the statements that make me wonder if you or others have read and understood what I wrote. I never argued other games couldn't accomplish what you say they do. In fact, I stated the opposite five times now. I say other games could create story without pre-forming A to B to C. I said it so much, that I felt like I was being patronizing. Yet the same games keep being brought up as evidence. I said this exact sentence five times: "I am talking about D&D, specifically 5e."
And I responded, almost every time, but saying I do these things in 5e. I pointed to other games because they do a better job of showcasing the approach, something I also explained as I said it and explained again in the part your responding to here. The point I've made, repeatedly, is that looking to other games can inform you of how to use the techniques in 5e. You're demanding immediate, video evidence of such, ignoring the nature of what successful streams look like and choosing to ignore that the approach can be used across systems. You seem to have locked into an argument that 5e is somehow unique or special in the way it must be run -- that no other approaches can work, even in pieces. It's an odd argument.

No movement of goalposts. Still talking about D&D, specifically 5e. Still talking about pre-scripted encounters. And rightfully said that it could be done based on the evidence others have offered.
There was a lot more said here that expanded on the initial sentence. You do seem to slide here as you move from the strong statement of your position, that 5e only supports pre-scripted components, to a much weaker statement that use of any previously established fiction is the same as prescripting plot points. This what I addressed here. Your response that you were talking about 5e doesn't address that, and adds the special pleading that 5e has qualities that require prescripting. It doesn't. I supports prescripting more that play-to-find-out, but that's a different horse altogether.

Your "concession" here is caveated entirely on the premise that you could do it, yes, but only if you don't use pre-established fiction of any kind. That an NPC having an established motivation would fall into prescripting the encounter by default. This is the goalpost slide I was talking about -- moving from prescripting meaning following plots points from A to B to C to prescripting meaning using any established fiction in adjudication of play. The latter is trivially broad such that doing anything other than unconnected play would meet this definition. This was what I was pointing out, and your concession isn't much of one as you're still insisting that 5e is somehow special in the way it works such that it either requires prescripting plot or you're just doing random stuff. Not a very encouraging concession.

I think your correct. Authoring a story and playing an RPG are two fundamentally different things. Bad analogy, it's just what came into my mind. My bad.
No problem.

I have, at the fifty or so conventions I have attended, played many "story games." They seemed extremely reliant on the group being able to elevate the story, as opposed to D&D, where two or three players can elevate the story (because many players enjoy the ride, but do not want to drive; they like the destination, but don't want to pack). They were fun and enjoyable experiences. And I apologize as I do not remember the names. If it had struck a chord with me, I would have jotted it down and bought the game. But it didn't.
Some of the systems I am familiar with are more traditional RPG's: D&D, PF, Conan, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Numenera, RoleMaster, Middle Earth, etc. None of these offers the mechanics everyone here is speaking about. Well, maybe Conan, a tiny bit.
But again, as stated earlier, I was discussing D&D.
So, okay, "story games" is a rather specific type of game and not at all what I'm talking about. Fiasco is a story game -- the players take turns telling the story with each other with very limited mechanical interactions. PbtA games, on the other hand, have clear mechanics that are to be used to resolve actions in play. The "story" part of these games is just like 5e -- it's an emergent property of play.

Now, the style of play I'm discussing does put a lot more burden on the players, but that's not because they're required to "elevate" the story but because the nature of play puts more responsibility on the players to drive play. The GM frames a situation that has some conflict, usually with something the PCs care about, and the players have to engage that. They do this by pushing for their PC's desires -- they advocate for their PC strongly -- and the mechanics then determine if they get what they want for their PCs or if the GM gets to make life more complicated. The thing here is that the GM cannot, but dint of the mechanics and that the play is driven by the PCs, anticipate or prescript outcomes. The mechanics of the game let the players direct outcomes on a success, so the GM can't plan for everything.

Contrasting this to traditional approaches, the GM is presenting a plot to the players, and their duty is to explore that plot. Here, the GM sets requirements for moving to the next scene, and the players seek it out. This can be a lot of fun, especially if the GM's plot is interesting and exciting, but it doesn't require as much of the players. The GM shoulders much more of the load of pacing and play.

My suggesting is that you don't have to play 5e in the traditional approach. You also don't have to pick one or the other -- you can blend in parts. 5e's mechanics don't do resolution in the same way as games like Blades in the Dark and that limits you in how well or how often or where you can do this (combat is a bad fit, for example), but it's not impossible or even hard. It does involve the GM letting go of the reigns and letting players drive. The simple way to do this is that you let them declare actions (make sure you require both the approach and the goal of the action), ask for ability checks for resolution, and then adhere to that resolution. By that last, I mean if they succeed then you narrate a new fictional position in which the PCs have succeeded at their goal, or moved towards it for more complex tasks. If they fail, use success at a cost to move forward with a complication, or use fail forward, where that specific approach or goal is no longer valid but the new fiction presents a new challenge or path. My rules for fail forward is that if you close the door, open a balcony window. The new path shouldn't be as easy as the old, or should lead somewhere else, making it painful to get back to the initial goal (if at all possible), but don't just say you failed and stop.

Thanks again everyone for expanding my horizons. It is appreciated.
I hope it helps and you don't just reconcile it with your previous opinions as "they play story games with random elements, and I suppose that's okay."

hawkeyefan

Legend
I have found the implementation of rules outside of D&D are difficult to implement as well. Even things like crit charts are hazardous.

I think it depends on the rules that are being changed, and the desired or expected effect.

For instance, my 5E group adopted the initiative method that was used in the Star Trek Adventures game by Modiphius. There's no initiative roll, instead each side in a conflict alternates, and the members of that side decide who goes on each of their turns. Each person on one side must act before someone can act again. Once everyone on each side has gone, the round is complete.

We've found this easier than tracking standard initiative, and it also has the added effect of keeping everyone engaged when it's not their turn. They're all paying attention and actively considering when it would be most advantageous to act, and so on. Instead of simply sitting back and waiting for the DM to prompt them.

It also really enhances what can be done with teamwork and planning. It allows for some different strategies than a strictly queued initiative order allows. It has a few odd effects when it comes to the timing of things that last "till the end of your next turn" and the like, but these aren't so significant, and also factors in to the decision of when a PC may go.

So for us, it works well. I'm sure there would be other groups that look at this and can rip it apart with reasons that it wouldn't work for them. It will always be the case in these kinds of matters.

That's for a specific rule. When we instead start to look at approaches of play, it's just as possible to alter things to suit a preference.

I'm a big fan of Blades in the Dark, which eschews almost all of the standard prep assumed by D&D. There are no stats for enemies, location details are sketched at start and then fleshed out in play, PCs are more able to learn information as a result of action declarations, the GM is more constrained in how they determine the "facts" of the world.

This has flavored my approach to 5E D&D in that I don't commit to a lot of prep. I tend to sketch a list of possible bullet points of what may happen in a session based on what's gone before, and not much further out. The players are driving the fiction by deciding what they want their goals to be, and these are largely based on their own ideas rather than accepting hooks that I've thrown out into the game. Not to say I don't add some hooks for them, but it's very far from the main way that play proceeds.

D&D won't work without stats, so obviously that's not something I've carried over whole cloth. But I've let go of the way I would cling to NPCs....usually "important" villains.....and instead I just let things play out as they will. I don't steer the results of action except with a mind to challenge the PCs in interesting and hopefully meaningful ways.

As a result, my 5E game plays very differently than standard D&D would. So much so that we've placed the game on hiatus during the pandemic because it simply doesn't work the way we want it to online. Online play requires far too much prep in advance to allow for the flexibility we want.

Remove ads