Do you prepare bands of NPC adventurers?

TheUltramark

First Post
I like to build more than one "bad guy group" over the course of a campaign.

recently I began a turn as DM at my game(4e), and I introduced a theives guild of kenkus, all the minions and soldiers and the "leader" all met untimely ends, but the kenku assassin and sneak both got away.

They(both those two particular ones, and the guild as a whole) will be a thorn in the players side for many many levels to come.

thastygliax

First Post
Always. It helps to have a set or two of rival adventurers that the PCs can interact with, either to cooperate with or compete against. Depending on how hte relationship evolves, you can have recurrign villains or allies as you level up the NPCs over the course of the campaign.
This is especially useful in a campaign that has a strong emphasis on role-playing interactions with NPCs, such as an urban orr political campaign where the challenges are posed by intelligent foes more often than mere monsters. Other adventurers are after the same things the PCs are, resourceful NPCs will recruit henchmen designed to work as an efficient team, and so on.

As a rather extreme example of designing rival adventuring bands, here's an adventure idea I've had in my head for years (decades, really) that I have yet to try out (but will someday!): Rumors of an immensely powerful artifact surface in a one of the most dangerous parts of the world, and the PCs are only one of several groups racing to find it before others can claim it for their own nefarious ends. Some are the expected high-level adventuring bands (of heroes and villains both), but the rumors have spread into other planes as well: a handful of archdevils, demon lords, and elemental princes have dispatched strike teams to the area, too. (Alternately, the race takes place on one of those planes, giving one team a home-field advantage.) Add in some quirky personalities and hidden agendas for truly memorable encounters. Between the local dangers and these rival bands, the PCs will almost certainly need to forge unlikely alliances to accomplish their goal--and watch out for treachery from those allies once they have.

ETA: Plus, it's just fun to work up interesting character combinations to pit against the PCs. Especially if, like me, you're the DM as often (or more often) than you get to just play. ;)

Last edited:

I thought you guys were talking about other parties that are more rivals or for role playing, rather than opponents.

Yes, in the last adventure, the PC's faced off against something resembling a party -- a group of mercenaries with humanoid subcontractors -- but I thought of that as interesting monsters (stuff meant to be killed within a single adventure), not so much a party.

As for the rival adventurings bands seeking a treasure, I did that too, long ago, when running the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. I believe the intro mentions that rival countries are interested in Daoud's Wondrous Lanthorn, the near-artifact in that adventure.

Remove ads