Do you remove your shoes in home?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
This whole question and discussion assumes that your shoes aren't particularly dirty/muddy/whatever. Of course you don't trudge mud through the house.

When I was a kid, I don't remember having to take my shoes off to come inside the house. I remember keeping my shoes in my room where I put them on in the morning, and took them off at night. That's not to say I wore shoes indoors *all* the time, but unless I was staying inside for some time, I did wear them when passing in and out, through the house. But I definitely did not put them on furniture -- table, chair, bed, etc. Feet and shoes stayed on the floor. (In the summers, sometimes I wouldn't wear shoes even outdoors.)

Now, though, with a wife and kids and our own house, everyone takes their shoes off when they enter the door. (I, however, too often wear them inside, still, until my wife reminds me to remove them. Habit, comfort, time/effort.) When we enter someone else's house, my kids immediately take off their shoes. I may or may not, depending on the home owner and how long we plan to stay.

I know outside the US, nearly all cultures have nearly always taken their shoes off when indoors. The fact that this is a relatively new thing in my little world (changed for me in my world since getting married) makes me wonder how this is and has been in other regions of the US. Has shoes on/off changed since your youth? Have you always taken shoes off indoors?

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
To clarify what counts as indoors? restaurant? House? Courthouse?

Pretty sure nobody takes their shoes off for 2 of those.

MechaPilot

Explorer
My home has always had a shoes off upon entering rule. I think it comes from my grandmother, who grew up on a farm, and the tradition that she instilled in my father, who set most of the household rules.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
So my saying "house" or "home" 7 times wasn't clear enough? OK, for a eighth time: I'm talking about house/home indoors.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Pretty sure nobody takes their shoes off for 2 of those.

Actually I tend to take my shoes off when entering a classroom (I teach at a Community College) and even in meetings will kick my shoes off, unless invited to keep them on.

So definitely no shoes in the house (usually - I do occasionally break the rules)

of course 'public spaces' like Shops, Restaurants and Courthouses are shoes on (usually, though I do go barefoot a lot even in town) and of course shoes on for formal wear (in Church, Important meetings, Presentations etc)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not consistent in my house, but I'll happily go along with the rules of my hosts. That's just being polite.

I don't so much remove my shoes so much as I have tennis shoes I wear instead of slippers/house shoes, but as stated, I don't put them on consistently. I also have a pair of hiking shoes I wear when walking my dogs, and I have another set of hiking shoes I wear for playing or working in the yard.

Side note: my Border Collies know the differences between my various pairs of footwear. They will look at my feet, and their reactions will vary depending on what they see. The "walking" shoes send them running for their leashes. Putting on the "yard" shoes gets a barking procession to the back door...and them flying out their doggie door if it is accessible. Anything else gets a "meh".

Crothian

First Post
I do have a pair of sneakers by the door that I wear just for outside. I also tend to have a pair of crocs near the door to wear inside.

Staffan

Legend
Shoes are outdoor wear (unless they're specifically indoor shoes). Unless I'm just popping in to fetch something, or doing something like moving where I'll be running in and out a lot, the shoes come off when I enter.

Ryujin

Legend
Unless I'm in and out in a minute or two, it's just stocking feet in the house. Perhaps slippers. Been that way since I was a kid.

My home is shoes on. I'm the most able bodied person in the house & I don't clean floors except for hazardous spills.

What really annoys me is when invited to someone's house and nothing is mentioned it's a shoes off kind of house until I've arrived.

Last edited:

Remove ads