Do you thing 4e is d20 1e?

• Yes

Votes: 43 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 134 75.7%

Staffan

Legend
Warbringer said:
Actually, it seems from what we've heard of paragon paths it makes ypu even more "single-classed" diving into an even narrower role of the class... but I could have completely misunderstood
They haven't said much about them yet, but I distinctly recall that they've said that each of the paths included in the DMG would appeal to at least two different classes.

pawsplay

Hero
What do you mean "not in execution?" Are you saying there's never any tension in game design between world detail and jazzy game play?

The Little Raven

First Post
pawsplay said:
What do you mean "not in execution?" Are you saying there's never any tension in game design between world detail and jazzy game play?

I'm saying that an "imaginative game" and an "exception-based game" are not mutually exclusive in either principle or execution.

pawsplay

Hero
Yet exception-based games require codified rules, whereas imaginative play requires a cohesive, flexible game. There is a turning point where one gains and the other loses. In any case, it's certainly possible to invest in one aspect more than the other, and I think 1e and 4e have clearly different design styles.

The Little Raven

First Post
pawsplay said:
Yet exception-based games require codified rules, whereas imaginative play requires a cohesive, flexible game.

Not really. Magic users have pretty much always been based on exception-based design, since the core rules do not support players doing the things magic users do. That's why rules for invisibility and things like that were presented directly in the spell itself under 3e came along and tried to be "all things to all people."

There is a turning point where one gains and the other loses. In any case, it's certainly possible to invest in one aspect more than the other, and I think 1e and 4e have clearly different design styles.

I agree they have different design styles. However, I will not comment on those differences because it'll just turn into a "Mourn is bashing 1e and Gygax's designs" incident.

Remove ads