• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you track rations?

Do You Track Rations?

• Yes, always

Votes: 42 14.9%
  • Only when it could be an issue

Votes: 177 62.8%
  • Nope, never

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 8 2.8%

sircaren

Explorer
smilinggm said:
Only when it an Issue in the story. Otherwise too much accounitng can get in the way of the game. I just borrowd a tool from living campaings, just have the PC's pay a lifestyle cost between adventures to cover any living expenses. For exmple a Pc can choose to live off the land and make a survival check, or they pay 1gp for a low lifestyle, 10gp for a medium lifestyle and 20gp for a high lifestyle. Or whatever fees are appropriate for your campaing. Just decided the living expense for a given time and make sure that the PC's are paying this fee. This keeps accounting to a min and refocus the players attention back to the story and the action and away from boring bookkeeping.

That's a pretty good idea. Might have to try it out.

Last edited:

Garnfellow

Explorer
For years, I was a nut for religiously tracking rations, torches, spell components, encumbrance, all that little crap.

And then, one day, it just hit me like a thunderbolt: this level of recording-keeping was not adding to my game. Not one single whit. Nothing. Nadda. Zip. Zero.

I wasn't haven't a particularly better time just because I knew at any moment that Flingo the Elf had exactly 2 torches, 2-1/2 day's worth of rations, 6 pieces of fur, 2 amber rods, a pouch of skunk cabbage, and three live grasshoppers, or that this load weighed exactly 6 lbs., 3 oz., 2.5 drams, etc.

My players weren't haven't a better time because I was keeping track of all this. All my detailed accounting did not add an appreciably significant amount of verisimilitude, much less zest, to a game that primarily concerned fighting orcs, giant frogs, or killer amoebae.

And at the end of the day, every rule or convention in the game needs to add significant value at the table, or it's probably not worth implementing.

If someone else really groks the resource management of such minutia, and this pleasure gives them real game-value, then may Pelor's love be upon him. But as for me? I don't miss it. Oh, If someone is really pushing the bounds of reason by trying to lug a piano around a dungeon, then I might pull out the encumbrance tables, or more likely just assign some arbitrary penalties to movement, AC, and so on. But otherwise, I just gloss it over.

caudor

Adventurer
I'm a ration tracker. I also track the other smaller aspects of the game...especially time. I don't track bio breaks because I assume this occurs as part of resting or eating.

Just because a PC has survival or can hunt, that does not necessarily mean there is anything in the current environment to hunt. In a dungeon, one might find some mushrooms but there might or might not be a water source available.

In my view--what good are rules such a fatigue, encumbrance, need for rest, and nourishment if the PCs never have to worry about it? What good is the create water spell if water is always available?

I think these rules not only help add balance to the game, but they also help create scenerios that create tension or danger in a certain environments. Of course, that's just the way I play. Any approach that results in having fun is OK in my book.

diaglo

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
While the other poster allowed normal movement, this is in the book. Essential, it takes half of your time to do this.
And the EpicSkills file ups the base DC to 40 to move at full speed and hunt.
yeah, i know the SRD. that's why i asked iwatt.

in our game (the story hour in my sig Olgar Shiverstone is the DM) it takes half a day to gather enough food, water, and other things for a day's worth.

frankthedm

First Post
Rations need to be kept track of because the onus of making sure the Players do not die an unheroic death of thirst and starvtion is on them.

frankthedm

First Post
sircaren said:
Got any tips to share on tracking all of that? Usually I have to remind my players about it constantly, and it's always met with looks of disgust.

Be firm and fair. I get the same looks of disgust when i ask a cheating player what hand do they free for climbing, casting spells, picking objects up with and whatnot. It is as if they expect to have as many extra limbs as they have move equivilant actions in a round.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I've only bothered to keep track of it once, when the PCs were on Toril in the wilderness in the middle of winter, and they were relatively low-mid level (which I'll be detailing this week in my next storyhour update).

Usually over the past few years of two campaigns, the PCs have either been in places that it hasn't been an issue or they've been high enough level that honestly it hasn't been an issue simply by way of their resources.

iwatt

First Post
diaglo said:
yeah, i know the SRD. that's why i asked iwatt.

in our game (the story hour in my sig Olgar Shiverstone is the DM) it takes half a day to gather enough food, water, and other things for a day's worth.

As a house rule I let them take a -5 to their check and allow them to move at their full speed.

Alternatively, if there is a dwarf and a 40' speed barbarian, the barbarian can get the food while moving at the same speed as the party (slowest member).

When the -5 penalty is hurting them, they just move at half speed. This isn't that terrible if you adjust travel time expectations in your games (If the distance can eb walked in 3 days, assume it will take 6).

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
jmucchiello said:
While the other poster allowed normal movement, this is in the book. Essential, it takes half of your time to do this.
And the EpicSkills file ups the base DC to 40 to move at full speed and hunt.

:\ DC 40

meh, tally it up as another reason why I don't like the Epic skill rules.

Roadkill101

Explorer
Ammo, Encumbrance, Food and Water are things I track to add a bit of grisly realism to my games. If that makes me a bit of a RBDM, then so be it.

Remove ads