D&D 5E Do you use the Success w/ Complication Module in the DMG or Fail Forward in the Basic PDF

Do you use the Success w/ Cost Module in the DMG or Fail Forward in the Basic PDF

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That’s fine, but it should be the players’ of those characters’s decision how long they’re willing to wait. And it should be the decision of the player of the character performing the task whether or not they care to stop so as to spare their party from boredom.
I’ve been generally loving your posts on this topic, but this has me scratching my head (and to me seems like a big reason to go with fail-forward). If fail-forward is not really an option: “The guard laughs at your obviously fake documents”, I would definitely require a new approach for a second check, not just another set of forged documents (or whatever) to try the same trick again. Roll often enough and you’re guaranteed to get the number you need, but that’s boring (and a reason why we don‘t just let all the players roll to see if their character can break down the door.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’ve been generally loving your posts on this topic, but this has me scratching my head (and to me seems like a big reason to go with fail-forward). If fail-forward is not really an option: “The guard laughs at your obviously fake documents”, I would definitely require a new approach for a second check, not just another set of forged documents (or whatever) to try the same trick again. Roll often enough and you’re guaranteed to get the number you need, but that’s boring (and a reason why we don‘t just let all the players roll to see if their character can break down the door.)
Apologies, but I’m not quite sure how your example here with the guard and the forced documents relates to my argument, which was about players getting to decide if and when their characters get bored. I would say that presenting forged documents is a case where multiple attempts shouldn’t be possible, but not because of anything to do with the characters getting bored. Rather, in that situation the consequence of the failed action (the guard catching on that the documents are forged) results in a change in the scenario. The guard’s knowledge that these characters have handed him forged documents is a material element of the fiction preventing the characters from just trying again.

Also, as @iserith pointed out earlier, lying to a guard is specifically used in the rules as an example of a situation where an action can’t be attempted multiple times.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Philosophically, sure, but how does that play out at the table in actual play, when my character has tried and failed to do something, and nothing concrete in the fiction is preventing my character from keeping at it? What prevents me as a player from simply declaring exactly the same action again?
Nothing. It’s just part of how we narrate the failure to do the thing.
Ok, but again, what if I don’t want to set a limit on how long I’m willing to spend? What if I say “as long as it takes”?
That sounds like a hypothetical with no actual use case to me, but I’ll run with it for a bit. In that case, the one roll becomes a determiner of how long it takes, either without a limit (assuming you succeed on saves to not fall asleep after enough time passes), or limited by the story or the other PCs.
The thing is, I want giving up to be my decision. Unless there’s something concrete in the fiction preventing me from keeping at it until I get it, I should have that option.
It is. You get to decide the details of the narration of the result of the check.
Seems arbitrary to me. Why can’t I try again as many times as I want? I know, I know, “you already did try again.” Well, unless something concrete in the fiction is stopping me, I want to try again again.
You already did. Full stop. That’s it. That’s the whole “philosophy”. Check made, results narrated, game moves on. If you want to come back to it after doing other actual stuff (taking 10 minutes to chill out and refocus is part of narrating the result of the check), go for it. Or come up with a reason that this is a different check, not just a reroll.
Eh, alright. Not my thing, personally.
It’s absolutely central to why I run the game the way I do in terms of retrying checks, so no surprise we don’t agree on this part.
No, D&D certainly doesn’t require binary checks. But usually it does employ binary checks, and the exceptions are usually just trinary or quarternary. It tends to be either pass/fail/fail by X or more, or pass by X or more/pass by less than X/fail by less than Y/fail by Y or more. And the more of these exceptions you make, the more you complicate an otherwise simple, elegant system. The binary nature of checks in D&D is, in my opinion, one of its greatest strengths. It keeps task resolution very streamlined and easy to use - and you can still make exceptions here and there where it makes sense to do so.

As for the swingyness, I think that’s a strength too. If I’m only calling for checks when success and failure are both realistic possibilities and failure has meaningful dramatic stakes, I want there to be a decent amount of swing. If that swing is undesirable, there’s a good chance it isn’t a task that should be resolved via a check.
I disagree with nearly all of that. This is actually where the root disconnect is, I think. I see binary results as the fall-back for when something isn’t important enough to make a scene out of.
Cool, looking forward to reading it! 😊
👍👍
This is really the biggest sticking point for me, so I’m going to try attacking it from a different angle. You say you stick to the agreed upon amount of time the player said they were willing to spend on the thing. Fair enough, I think people should stick to their agreements. But, is that agreement the only thing that’s keeping the character from trying for longer than the player said they would be willing to try for? If so, that’s a problem for me. That agreement has no fictional backing to it.
Okay. In my game, we figure out what you’re trying to do and how you’re trying to do it, what the stakes and consequences are, and then roll to see how the sequence of events plays out. We don’t generally go action by action, unless it feels like the scene needs that.

Taking out a guard, for instance, might be a stealth check, Athletics check, one attack roll, and another stealth or slight of hand to hide the body. We don’t roll initiative and play it out but by bit, because the scene doesn’t warrant that level of detail.
Yes, the player should uphold their end of the agreement, but speaking purely in terms of the fiction, the character should be able to change their mind, right? For that matter, why make the player decide that in advance? Why can’t the character try for a bit, see how it goes, and decide whether or not to continue based on how well they’re doing so far?
They can decide after the check if they want. And again, if they can establish a change in approach or circumstance, they can try again.
Also, what reason might I as a player have to commit to one time frame or another? Do I get a bonus on the roll if I decide to spend enough time at it, or am I just wasting my character’s time if I decide to try for longer than the minimum amount of time required? If I get a bonus for spending longer, what are the limits of it? Can I take long enough that my bonus exceeds the DC?
Picking a time frame is there because we are rolling to resolve a scene, not an action.

The other key thing here is, this stuff is all negotiable at my table. In my group, the DM does not rule over the table, they run the world engine and adjudicate. The group as a whole decides how that game engine works and what measures the DM uses to adjudicate.

Charlaquin

Nothing. It’s just part of how we narrate the failure to do the thing.
Ok, so it isn’t based on anything concrete in the fiction. That’s my core contention with this method.
That sounds like a hypothetical with no actual use case to me, but I’ll run with it for a bit. In that case, the one roll becomes a determiner of how long it takes, either without a limit (assuming you succeed on saves to not fall asleep after enough time passes), or limited by the story or the other PCs.
“Limited by the story” is what I aim for. If there’s something concrete in the story that would prevent me from continuing or trying again, great. It’s when the limitation is arbitrary that I have a problem.
You already did. Full stop. That’s it. That’s the whole “philosophy”. Check made, results narrated, game moves on.
Right, so your answer to “why can’t I try again?” is “because you can’t,” which is what I take issue with.
It’s absolutely central to why I run the game the way I do in terms of retrying checks, so no surprise we don’t agree on this part.

I disagree with nearly all of that. This is actually where the root disconnect is, I think. I see binary results as the fall-back for when something isn’t important enough to make a scene out of.
Probably a big part of it, yeah.
Okay. In my game, we figure out what you’re trying to do and how you’re trying to do it, what the stakes and consequences are, and then roll to see how the sequence of events plays out.
I mean, we do that in my game too, but I get the impression that this sentence means rather different things to each of us, given what you go on to say here...
We don’t generally go action by action, unless it feels like the scene needs that.

Taking out a guard, for instance, might be a stealth check, Athletics check, one attack roll, and another stealth or slight of hand to hide the body. We don’t roll initiative and play it out but by bit, because the scene doesn’t warrant that level of detail.
This just... Doesn’t sound like D&D to me. I don’t mean in the gatekeepy “you’re not playing REAL D&D” sense, just that this is so far removed from my own experience playing D&D as to sound like a different game than the one I’m playing.
They can decide after the check if they want.
Wait, so they can decide to keep going after they’ve made and failed the check?
And again, if they can establish a change in approach or circumstance, they can try again.
But if trying again with a different approach or circumstance is possible, why isn’t trying again with the same approach or circumstance possible? What actual concrete thing in the fiction prevents it?
Picking a time frame is there because we are rolling to resolve a scene, not an action.
Again, this... sounds like a completely different game than the one I play.
The other key thing here is, this stuff is all negotiable at my table. In my group, the DM does not rule over the table, they run the world engine and adjudicate. The group as a whole decides how that game engine works and what measures the DM uses to adjudicate.
Sure, sure.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Ok, so it isn’t based on anything concrete in the fiction. That’s my core contention with this method.
I mean, sure, but neither is any method of adjudication I’ve ever seen in D&D.
“Limited by the story” is what I aim for. If there’s something concrete in the story that would prevent me from continuing or trying again, great. It’s when the limitation is arbitrary that I have a problem.

Right, so your answer to “why can’t I try again?” is “because you can’t,” which is what I take issue with.
It’s not arbitrary, though. It’s just a different method of determining the results of actions.
Probably a big part of it, yeah.

I mean, we do that in my game too, but I get the impression that this sentence means rather different things to each of us, given what you go on to say here...

This just... Doesn’t sound like D&D to me. I don’t mean in the gatekeepy “you’re not playing REAL D&D” sense, just that this is so far removed from my own experience playing D&D as to sound like a different game than the one I’m playing.
I mean, it’s just skill challenges made into the standard method of resolution.
Wait, so they can decide to keep going after they’ve made and failed the check?
No, they can decide how much time they spent on it. The resolution is the resolution.
But if trying again with a different approach or circumstance is possible, why isn’t trying again with the same approach or circumstance possible? What actual concrete thing in the fiction prevents it?
Because if you aren’t changing anything, it’s just the same task.
Again, this... sounds like a completely different game than the one I play.

Sure, sure.

I think the issue I have with what you’ve described is that it requires the game to be narrated in a certain pattern, which is antithetical to how we play D&D. I’m just not ever going to introduce random encounters just to create time limits. If the story demands tight time constraints, cool, if it doesn’t, that’s fine too.

Charlaquin

I mean, sure, but neither is any method of adjudication I’ve ever seen in D&D.
No action adjudication method you’ve seen in D&D is based in the fiction...? I find that hard to believe. That’s like... one of the vote conceits of D&D.
It’s not arbitrary, though. It’s just a different method of determining the results of actions.
Right, but one not based on anything concrete in the fiction. i.e. arbitrary.
I mean, it’s just skill challenges made into the standard method of resolution.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, when you put it that way... Still seems like a bizarre way to do things. I don’t even do Skill Challenges (in the 4e sense) any more. They made sense in 4e, where the guideline was that players can ask to make checks and the DM is encouraged to almost always say yes. Less sense in 5e, with its pattern of play.
Because if you aren’t changing anything, it’s just the same task.
That’s dodging the question. Why isn’t trying the same task again possible? What actual concrete thing in the fiction prevents it?
I think the issue I have with what you’ve described is that it requires the game to be narrated in a certain pattern,
Well, yes. The pattern described in the part of the rules labeled How To Play.
which is antithetical to how we play D&D. I’m just not ever going to introduce random encounters just to create time limits. If the story demands tight time constraints, cool, if it doesn’t, that’s fine too.
That’s fine, you don’t have to introduce random encounters or tight time constraints if you don’t want to. There are plenty of other ways to insure actions have meaningful consequences. I just use random encounters as an example because they’re something just about every D&D player is familiar with. Like the locked door or the conspicuous chandelier they’re an easy go-to example for illustrative purposes. Also I happen to like them. But if you don’t like them, that’s fine! Use other sources of pressure, other constraints, other consequences. Just don’t forbid your players from taking the actions they want to take when nothing in the fiction prevents it. (or do, if that’s what you and your players like. I’m not trying to tell you how to run your games, just trying to express why this particular aspect of how you run your games is a dealbreaker for me.)

doctorbadwolf

No action adjudication method you’ve seen in D&D is based in the fiction...? I find that hard to believe. That’s like... one of the vote conceits of D&D.
I don’t buy it. It’s always an abstraction.
Right, but one not based on anything concrete in the fiction. i.e. arbitrary.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, when you put it that way... Still seems like a bizarre way to do things. I don’t even do Skill Challenges (in the 4e sense) any more. They made sense in 4e, where the guideline was that players can ask to make checks and the DM is encouraged to almost always say yes. Less sense in 5e, with its pattern of play.
Eh, it plays well. That’s all that matters.
That’s dodging the question. Why isn’t trying the same task again possible? What actual concrete thing in the fiction prevents it?

Well, yes. The pattern described in the part of the rules labeled How To Play.
No, I’m referring to things like needing to constantly apply pressure to keep the game from bogging down in endless rerolls. We could quibble about examples, but I don’t think it really matters. I shouldn’t be deciding narrative to serve a designed play loop. If I want that, I can play a more prescribed game.
That’s fine, you don’t have to introduce random encounters or tight time constraints if you don’t want to. There are plenty of other ways to insure actions have meaningful consequences. I just use random encounters as an example because they’re something just about every D&D player is familiar with. Like the locked door or the conspicuous chandelier they’re an easy go-to example for illustrative purposes. Also I happen to like them. But if you don’t like them, that’s fine! Use other sources of pressure, other constraints, other consequences. Just don’t forbid your players from taking the actions they want to take when nothing in the fiction prevents it. (or do, if that’s what you and your players like. I’m not trying to tell you how to run your games, just trying to express why this particular aspect of how you run your games is a dealbreaker for me.)
I’m not. They can take any action they want. I’m choosing not to use a resolution method that necessarily treats every action as a single roll.

Charlaquin

I don’t buy it. It’s always an abstraction.
That sounds awful! D&D abstracts a decent amount of stuff, sure, but if everything was abstract? God, I would hate that.
Eh, it plays well. That’s all that matters.
Fair enough.
No, I’m referring to things like needing to constantly apply pressure to keep the game from bogging down in endless rerolls. We could quibble about examples, but I don’t think it really matters. I shouldn’t be deciding narrative to serve a designed play loop. If I want that, I can play a more prescribed game.
D&D 5e... Is fairly prescribed. I mean, if you don’t want to run it the way the rules on How to Play describe, that’s your prerogative. But I think there are plenty of other games that would suit your tastes better.
I’m not. They can take any action they want.
You’re literally saying if I want to take an action a second time I can’t do that, even if there’s nothing in the fiction preventing it. Right here:
You already did. Full stop. That’s it. That’s the whole “philosophy”. Check made, results narrated, game moves on. If you want to come back to it after doing other actual stuff (taking 10 minutes to chill out and refocus is part of narrating the result of the check), go for it. Or come up with a reason that this is a different check, not just a reroll.
You didn’t even disagree when I said this amounted to “you can’t because you can’t.”
I’m choosing not to use a resolution method that necessarily treats every action as a single roll.
I don’t necessarily treat every action as a single roll either. But whatever activity or sequence of activities my character performed that you deemed should be resolved with a check, if I repeat that same activity or sequence activities, that should be resolved with a check as well. Otherwise the mechanics aren’t being applied consistently.

doctorbadwolf

That sounds awful! D&D abstracts a decent amount of stuff, sure, but if everything was abstract? God, I would hate that.
IMO, that is just how the game works. I honestly don’t see how one could interpret the rules as anything but abstractions.
Fair enough.

D&D 5e... Is fairly prescribed. I mean, if you don’t want to run it the way the rules on How to Play describe, that’s your prerogative. But I think there are plenty of other games that would suit your tastes better.
Let’s not do the “play something else if you disagree with me” thing, please. I’m familiar with a variety of systems. 5e works best for my group.

You’re literally saying if I want to take an action a second time I can’t do that, even if there’s nothing in the fiction preventing it. Right here:

You didn’t even disagree when I said this amounted to “you can’t because you can’t.”
Well, I didn’t comment on it. That doesn’t mean I agree. I’ve explained why you can’t.
I don’t necessarily treat every action as a single roll either. But whatever activity or sequence of activities my character performed that you deemed should be resolved with a check, if I repeat that same activity or sequence activities, that should be resolved with a check as well. Otherwise the mechanics aren’t being applied consistently.
Sure they are. I consistently allow a single check.

Remove ads