Do You Want 400 New Magic Items For Your D&D 5E Game?

If so, you're in luck - because Paradigm Concepts is holding a Kickstarter to do just that! "Forged in Magic: REFORGED adds over 400+ magic items to your 5E campaign – from magical weapons and armors, rings, and shields to mystical potions, magical staffs and a myriad of wondrous items. Forged in Magic: REFORGED doesn’t just provide a list of items and their properties, but many also have a backstory on its creation or history. While these stories are set in the Arcanis: World of Shattered Empires campaign setting, the rich detail can help you place these in any published setting or your own home made campaign." They've kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the upcoming book.

If so, you're in luck - because Paradigm Concepts is holding a Kickstarter to do just that! "Forged in Magic: REFORGED adds over 400+ magic items to your 5E campaign – from magical weapons and armors, rings, and shields to mystical potions, magical staffs and a myriad of wondrous items. Forged in Magic: REFORGED doesn’t just provide a list of items and their properties, but many also have a backstory on its creation or history. While these stories are set in the Arcanis: World of Shattered Empires campaign setting, the rich detail can help you place these in any published setting or your own home made campaign." They've kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the upcoming book.

The Kickstarter launched earlier today. $35 for the full-colour book (not counting shipping) or $15 for the PDF. It's 160-pages, soft back, in full-colour, and stretch goals increase the size and upgrade it to hardcover.

FiM Page_Enworld Exclusive_final.jpg

ccooke

Adventurer
Well that item has gone through a bit of an edit... in the newest version you the fire bolts are simple ranged attacks which deal 1d10 Fire Damage.. In other words, in the hands of a someone with multiple attacks, such as a fighter, someone can throw a bolt of fire with each attack...

Makes it a lot more useful, and it's worth it for the fighter to keep it on hand.. (pun intended)

Hmm, nice.

Does that add your stat bonus to the damage (and is it clear which way that is ruled, RAI)? Because if that's a dex-based attack that adds your dexterity mod to damage... that is an extremely powerful effect. Okay, it's 'only' fire damage, but it's ammunitionless ranged attacking with a single hand. I believe it would count as a light weapon, too, so would work with TWF. Might actually be overpowered, if so!

You know, I really didn't intend to start nitpicking all of your examples. Sorry!

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
The example page shows that the authors have not acknowledged the errata that everyone is always proficient in unarmed strikes. That doesn't bode well . . .

sidonunspa

First Post
Hmm, nice.

Does that add your stat bonus to the damage (and is it clear which way that is ruled, RAI)? Because if that's a dex-based attack that adds your dexterity mod to damage... that is an extremely powerful effect. Okay, it's 'only' fire damage, but it's ammunitionless ranged attacking with a single hand. I believe it would count as a light weapon, too, so would work with TWF. Might actually be overpowered, if so!!

We found that when it was just 1d10 as a single action, 9 out of 10 times a cantrip or even a bow was a better choice.

It’s one of those crazy ideas that I know requires some play testing... (we have some other items with unique ideas/abilities such as the Aboleth Fetish, Voei Troll-skin Salve, and Myr’s Sentinel Staff... each has an ability not found in core.. so I'm having them play tested by some crack power gamers who have a habit of braking game systems)

You know, I really didn't intend to start nitpicking all of your examples. Sorry!

hey it's ok...

ccooke

Adventurer
We found that when it was just 1d10 as a single action, 9 out of 10 times a cantrip or even a bow was a better choice.

It’s one of those crazy ideas that I know requires some play testing... (we have some other items with unique ideas/abilities such as the Aboleth Fetish, Voei Troll-skin Salve, and Myr’s Sentinel Staff... each has an ability not found in core.. so I'm having them play tested by some crack power gamers who have a habit of braking game systems)

Sensible.

I'd definitely worry about it a little, and I think I'd personally still prefer it using produce flame. This may be, though, because I really like that cantrip - a nice cross between a utility spell and an attack cantrip, and it works very well.

sidonunspa

First Post
The example page shows that the authors have not acknowledged the errata that everyone is always proficient in unarmed strikes. That doesn't bode well . . .

That errata has not made it yet into the SRD or into the latest print of the players handbook, so an additional line of text to clarify rules for players is a small price to pay.

we also cover it in our Appendix were we present several new weapons such as weapon stats for gauntlets and the cestus

you would be shocked how many players and GMs have no idea that any errata has been issued

sidonunspa

First Post
Sensible.

I'd definitely worry about it a little, and I think I'd personally still prefer it using produce flame. This may be, though, because I really like that cantrip - a nice cross between a utility spell and an attack cantrip, and it works very well.

I agree, its one of my favorite cantrips as well.. heck one of our races has it a racial ability.

Bergie

First Post
For those who haven't seen, PCI added two new backer tiers: Special, unique adventures written and run by Henry Lopez himself! Two tables of 6, one using the original A:RPG rules system and the other using 5e rules!

PCIHenry

Explorer
We're six days in and already our first Stretch Goal has been unlocked. This means that Forged in Magic: REFORGED will be 180 pages in length! Thank you and congratulations!

As promised we're also unveiling our Community Achievements track where you can unlock some spiffy stuff, like a digital preview of 10 magic items cards. These cards have the image of the item on one side and the details on the other. You can print these out and give to your players as they find the items or, if we unlock enough of them, we'll offer the physical cards as an Add On.

So please re-share the Kickstarter announcement on Facebook and retweet to start the unlocking process!

Also, I've added two new reward levels by request. These are special adventures written exclusively for the backers of that level and will not be released to the public. Besides having a special adventure tailored just for your table, the events and outcomes of these events become canon in the Arcanis campaign setting. These were very popular in our first Arcanis KS, (we had 4 full tables backed) and I'm happy to offer it again. You'll notice that one Reward Level is for those who wish to play using the 5th Edition rules, while the other the Arcanis RPG rules. Please make sure you choose the one you wish to play.

Lastly, if you'd like to give the Arcanis 5th Edition campaign a try, we're offering a large number of adventures at Origins 2016 to launch the new Living Arcanis campaign. Registration is now open.

Go to: http://originsgamefair.com/registration/ and search for Living Arcanis.

We're off to a great start on unlocking our next Stretch Goal and getting closer to upgrading the book to a hardback. Thank you all very much for your support! Together, we'll make Forged in Magic: REFORGED an even more amazing product!

Here's a sneak peek at what they look like:

View attachment 76410

PCIHenry

Explorer
We're less than a couple of hundred dollars away from unlocking Stretch Goal #2, which will add even more color artwork illustrating magic items in the book. Just four more backers pledging at the $35 level will do it.

After that comes the one we're all waiting for: Stretch Goal #3 - unlocking the Hardback Upgrade. I've had a couple of questions about this, so I wanted to explain this further.

Anyone pledging at the $35 level or higher will recieve a FREE upgrade, meaning that Forged in Magic: Reforged will be printed as a hardback. No POD here - this will be "traditionally printed" smythe sown beautiful book that you'll be proud to have in your collection.

But wait, there's more. Unlocking this level will also allow us to offer a Kickstarter Exclusive Edition with a Faux Leather cover, numbered with a silver foil stamp on the cover. We can also add your name to the cover in foil stamp to further personalize your copy. Havng worked with this printer before, I can attest to the fact that their books are all of high quality and gorgeous.

And this all happens when we reach $13,000. We've got about three weeks to do this, so I'm very optimistic we'll be enjoying this upgrade soon!

Things are moving along with the Community Achievements, but we can do better. If you haven't already, please Re-Tweet and Re-Share on FB the initial announcement launching this KS. https://www.facebook.com/ParadigmConceptsInc/

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your support! Thank you!

Let me leave you with another neat illustration: The Green Death sword.

View attachment 76451

halberd10

First Post
This seems like an awesome campaign. As I do most of my playing on Fantasy Grounds, would you or have you considered allowing this product to be converted into Fantasy Grounds and then sold there as well? Having the item in fantasy grounds format would allow my players to drag and drop then into their character sheets and have the effects then be automated. Also the artwork would be a nice touch.

Remove ads

Remove ads