D&D General Do Your Human Characters Match Your Ethnicity (etc)?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Interestingly, I have a system for determining handedness in my games!

You roll 1d20 and 1d12. If the d20 is higher, you are right handed. If the d12 is higher, you are left handed. If they match, you are ambidextrous.
I have it that you can choose left- or right-handed, or you can roll on a d% table that can give strong-normal-weak handedness either way, or ambidextrous (and Gnomes and Hobbits have an extra base 1/10 chance of ambidextrous over and above this), with a skew toward right-handed.

Oofta

Legend
Your knight is a black woman? Yeah, good luck with that.
This struck me as an odd statement so I googled "black woman in armor". Took about 30 seconds to get some pretty decent images.

Probably get far more for White Knight, but it's not like they don't exist. Anyway ... carry on.

I am just curious about this one- obviously also inspired by the current conversations. Do your human pcs tend to look like you? Do they usually match your ethnicity, sex, gender, and sexual preference? How often do you play characters who don't? Feel free to include non-D&D human characters in your discussion.

Most of the time they do not. I have played gay Asian male characters, but they are maybe 10% of my past characters.

The one true human character I am currently playing is in Shadowrun and is a heterosexual black female.

The other is an asexual Vudrani (Indian) female sorcerer who was born a guardian naga but is now trapped in human form by a mysterious curse.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
As a DM, I've never asked my players directly. When they've brought in character art, it ends up being the same skin color. My experience has been very few players want to roleplay an opposite sex or sexual orientation or Earth ethnicity, likely because you'll simply be offensive or awkward mimicking something you don't know. I've had some guys play girls (never the other way around). I try not to read too much into it because it's a fantasy game and we're all having fun in a diverse group doing heroic things.

Hussar

Legend
This struck me as an odd statement so I googled "black woman in armor". Took about 30 seconds to get some pretty decent images.

Probably get far more for White Knight, but it's not like they don't exist. Anyway ... carry on.

Yeah, to be fair, it has gotten a LOT better over the years.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Im Polynesian (though my mothers half British) and so there are no settings that really match my ethnicity, which maybe why I dont play many human characters, my mains being a Gnome and a half-Orcs.

The humans I have played were fit to the setting, so in my Soloman Kane based setting he was a man from Northumbria (my British grandfather’s from Preston, Lancashire), I’ve played a Human Theif in Al-Qadim, a Human Warrior-Priest in an African setting and a Human Female Malay-inspired Martial Artist

Outside my own Ancient Polynesia home-brew, the only Polynesian character I've played is a Charismatic Priest in a Modern game where I used Dwayne Johnson as the character pic:).

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
On that score, my favorite of my characters was a very hot female elf who would be happy to sleep with anyone once she got to know them a little, but the catch was that, for an elf, getting to know you a little usually took longer than a human lifespan.
I had an AL character who decided to try to seduce an NPC, because the group was trying to get information not start a fight, and because we were the only two Wood Elves in town. I modeled this attempt on James Bond, forgetting that my character's CHR was 008.
A younger player asked me how long I thought that would take and I answered "Years." His jaw dropped. I deadpanned "With elven lifespans, we two have plenty of time for this."

P.S. It did not work out; the rest of the group wanted to go on adventures!
edit and P.P.S. Plus, well, CHR 8.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I’m not sure I have ever played a human character who matched my gender and ethnicity... The closest would be my first VtM character who did, but he wasn’t exactly human anymore and he was very short lived...

Last edited:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
One time I asked how people here were with Humans that had skin and hair colours that no human in this world have naturally (such as dark grey or blue skin or natural green or blue hair), along with mixtures of features that are plausible in our world but not likely common at all (like East Asians with naturally blonde hair).

Most admitted they don't think of such things, but were more willing to have "unnatural" hair colours or mixed features that are quite rare naturally in our world. Most felt unnatural skin colours might cross the line on what they feel is Human and could go too far into things such as Planetouched and other hybrid near-Human races.

It's generally my approach in Shroompunk to assume human hair and eyes can be any color-- including multicolored and/or somewhat luminescent-- and skin runs beyond the full human range from bleached white to coal-black and wider variety in undertones, including gith-green and a corpselike blue. Many have vestigial horns/antlers, pointed ears, and/or tails. Generally, most pre-4e D&D planetouched would be considered human by the humans of Shroompunk, if potentially human from an unknown World.

By contrast, Goblins-- think a combination of Hobgoblin and an Ogre Mage-- have seven narrow bands of skin coloration (ROYGBIV) and seven even narrower bands of eye color. Their skin always falls neatly into one of these seven bands, and their eye color always falls neatly into a different one, and Goblins have a really weird caste system based on this. You'll never be able to understand the Goblin caste system on your world, and any time you guess you'll guess wrong, offensive, and offensively wrong. Goblins on other Worlds, it turns out, have a completely different caste system based on their skin and eye colors and it's even harder to understand.

Goblins always have straight black hair, though.

The other kith don't really have anything analogous. Kappa shells change color to reflect their draconic influence. Vanaras and Kobolds have mostly brown fur, but other colors aren't unknown. Trolls usually have black or white fur. Dromites all look after metaphosing into adults. And the Forged start off however their maker wanted them to look... and almost immediately start changing their bodies as they see fit.

I think it's nice to be able to, how shall I put it? Explore or maybe even flex a part of yourself like that.

In perhaps a similar but much more superficial way my characters also tend to be (ok not tend to but actually every time) a few inches taller than I actually am, or more in the case of a Goliath. It's not that I'm short. I'm above average height. It's that I'm 1-2" shorter than my dad and brothers and wouldn't it be fun if in this game 'I' (that idealized version of myself) wasn't.

It's weird how often I play character smaller than I am-- I'm just a hair under average height for an American man, a couple inches shorter than my father was, but I'm built like a tank. Most of my human characters are a couple of inches shorter than me, and not much more than half my weight.

Given a choice, I'd be bigger. Of course, given a choice I'd also be darker, and have straight black hair.

Remove ads