D&D General Do Your Human Characters Match Your Ethnicity (etc)?

auburn2

Adventurer
This, for me.

In terms of gender and sexuality - I about 50% play women (I am cis-male) but don't actually explore what that means. In the one game of D&D that I am a player, sexuality and gender almost never come up. In fact I have never defined my sexuality in any D&D type game.

I DM/GM most games though, and of course have to play all sorts of characters.
No. I am an Irish-American male. I haven't played any "Irish" characters in d&d because I don't know where Ireland is on Ferun. :p

Honesty, I have played "light skin", "olive skin" and "dark skinned" humans, probably more white than oany other, but not by a lot. In terms of humans, all humans I have played have been women and well over half the characters total I play have been women, probably about 70%.

I also generally go against the gender stereotypes in this regard too. All of my "heavy fighters" are women and most of my martial characters in general have been women. All of my wizards have been women too. Rogues, bards, druids, warlocks and monks it is close to 50-50 man-woman.

Clerics are the only class where more than 50% were men. I really don't like playing clerics though and am not overly fond of those characters.

Our campaigns are PG when it comes to sex and there is very little of it, on the rare occasions it is there at all it is something like "everyone goes to bed for the night, Jack and Jill get a private room in the inn". I think that kind of "sex" has happend 2 or 3 times in 30 years of gaming. As such most of my characters don't really have a defined "sexual preference". I never thought about it, if something came up I would probably make it up on the fly.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
I rarely play human PCs, but my preferred pick is Half-Elf, and I am of mixed ethnicity, so I do like playing PCs that have that similar nature. My current PC is a Changeling, who's been switching up everything as frequently as possible (which hasn't been much, because I'm currently hiding my nature from my party, they see me as a male (white) human). But my last Half-Elf was a Sorcerer, and the human half was definitely Middle-eastern/Arabic in appearance.

MGibster

Legend
As I self-identify as an American, and you won't find many of those in the Forgotten Realms, Domains of Dread, or Rokugan (maybe in Planescape or Spelljammer though), the answer is no. I tend to play characters who share the same phenotype as I do in real life in relation to skin tone, the shape of my eyes, teeth, etc., etc. unless the setting doesn't have a whole lot of people whose genetics manifests quite the same way as mine.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases