Do your players know the rules?

Do your players know the rules?

• My players don’t know the rules at all, and I wish they did.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • My players don’t know the rules at all, and I’m glad they don’t.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • My players know a little bit about the rules, and I wish they knew more.

Votes: 51 29.5%
  • My players know a little bit about the rules, and that’s all they really need.

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • My players know a lot about the rules, but I wish they knew everything.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • My players know a lot about the rules, and I wish they didn’t know as much.

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • My players know the rules better than I do, and that’s fine with me.

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • My players know the rules better than I do, and that’s a real problem.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 29 16.8%

Pinotage

Explorer
They know the rules, but not well enough. They still make some basic mistakes from time to time, but I don't mind correcting here and there.

Pinotage

It varies quite a bit.

One of the players often DMs. He learned the rules really fast (he started 3e and D20 Modern with us and had little, if any, 2e experience). However, we have a player who played with our group the same length of time and still needs someone to hold their hand during character gen, and we have a player who used to run Palladium who also barely knows the rules. We have yet another player who started with us who has put a lot of effort into knowing the rules - it's obvious, as he used to make mistakes all the time but no longer does so.

Schmoe

Adventurer
My group consists of three complete newbies and one Living Greyhawk Triad member. I'd say I have the most comprehensive knowledge of the rules, though. I'm used to having the best rules knowledge at the table, so that's fine with me.

Thrincold

First Post
I've played with everything from rules lawyers to complete newbs. The best are those that know the rules enough to have fun, but don't try and badger a DM with their take on said rules. Mostly I play now with people that have atleast as good a grasp on the rules as myself, or nearly so.

MetalBard

First Post
I voted "other," because some of the players in my group know the rules really well and some just sort of struggle through. No complete newbies, just wide disparities of how much people care about the rules as written (not that that's a bad thing).

lukelightning

First Post
I said "they know more than me, which is great."

All the fundamental rules I know, but I'm running an Arcana Unearthed/Evolved game, and don't have a in-depth grasp of all the classes and spells; I trust each player to understand how their class abilities and spells work.

Arnwyn

First Post
I voted: "My players know a little bit about the rules, and I wish they knew more."

They know enough to run their characters in a basic way (know the general rules re: combat, understand AoOs, know their spells and where to reference them), but they can't do anything complicated - at all. The just don't have the knowledge (or inclination) to learn about complicated options, so they just don't do them (even to the point where it's detrimental to their characters).

That's their problem to work out, though. It certainly keeps the game moving...

Stormborn

Explorer
Gold Roger said:
Other:
Two players know the rules really well.
One player knows the rules decently.
One player doesn't bother with the rules and it annoys the heck out of me.

More or less what he said.

Remove ads