D&D General Do your players map?

Arilyn

Hero
For a game that supposedly was emulating swords and sorcery, mapping always seemed a strange activity. What self respecting pulp hero takes time to map out locations? 🤣

Mapping was one of those frustrating tedious chores that drove me away from the hobby back in the day. So no mapping required at my table, other than maybe quickie sketches.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've learned the hard way that if I-as-DM don't have a map I'm hooped; as if I wing it I'll inevitably end up putting two rooms in the same physical space, which the players - using their map - will gleefully (and rightly!) point out.
There are occasions where I will use one, like a large dungeon complex that I expect them to be in for a few sessions. For something where it might only be a single session and they get in and out then I will often not worry about a map.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I usually explain the flowchart map that's standard at my table as a representation of some manner of trail blazing efforts on the part of the characters. Scratched arrows on the wall, piles of pebbles arranged in Ranger code, whatever. There isn't a character walking around with a light cantrip on and pen and paper in hand while he paces off the dimensions of each room to make sure he doesn't miss any secret doors.

aco175

Legend
Not in a long time, most likely since the 3e terrain maps came out. Mapping mostly became a problem where the player did not understand the DM enough or the DM not explaining enough to the player. The DM ended up reaching over the table to sketch for the player. Repeat a few more times each night of play.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
It's been at over 25 years since I played in a group where a player actively mapped, back when we'd finish the adventure then spend hours trying to figure out why the left half of the map was two squares off from the right half.

More recently, of course, mapping typically happens on the part of PCs in-game to facilitate "getting back out" or "completing the mapping mission" or "navigating the maze" or whatever, for the sake of skill checks or something. But as a DM, I typically just draw it out as needed for tactical purposes.

pogre

Legend
I don't require mapping. My current players don't enjoy mapping - if I had a certain player from my table from a couple of decades ago I might have mapping be part of the game. That player really enjoyed mapping.

It's a session zero conversation for me: Do you like mapping when in dungeon environments?

I create a map for players when we are doing a megadungeon. Besides I enjoy laying out most of the dungeon in terrain - so there is at least a kind of map on the table for those sessions.

Same thing for some other elements - my current crew does not enjoy riddle-solving. I still succumb to throwing a riddle or two into adventures, but it is never a bottle-neck - there is always a way around it.

Remove ads