DoctorB's Legacy of Alexander Story Hour

DoctorB

First Post
Into the Underdark (continued)

Of course, waiting for the onslaught was not such a good plan. Galena put down a grease spell to counter the inevitable charge we were sure was coming. Instead, a dark elf female poked her head around the corner long enough to cast a fireball into the middle of us. It burned out the grease and convinced us we had to storm the place.

Charging past the old guards, we saw a large cavern. It seems the drow work with crystal too, but theirs look like growing trees. A large pit dominated the center of the room but we could not see inside it even with darkvision.

As we fought the drow guards just inside the doorway, we heard a commotion from around the corner to our left. It sounded like a large number of goblins fighting fiercely. Going around to see what was happening, Karl and I saw that a large number of goblins were pummeling a few drow guards and preparing to rush into the main chamber.

Meanwhile, Liana had scouted forward enough to see that someone was standing by the far side of the pit chanting. The rest of the Champions charged into the room, scattering the guards in front of them. As they arrived near the pit, they could see that another armored figure stood near the back of the cavern with two chain-mailed guards nearby. Galena decided to return the fireball favor, and killed all the guards around the two leaders. The remaining drow guards and the chanter and armored dark elves went through a door in the back of the cavern and closed it behind them.

Karl and I found ourselves cut off from the others by swarming goblins. Having killed the drow apparently holding them in, they began attacking everything in sight, including us. After some difficulty, I managed to force my way through to Karl and the two of us ran for the door.

Cobbe and Toiva tried the door and found it locked. It was made of some strange dark metal and seemed strong enough to resist being broken open. Sighing at the delay, Toiva decided to cut his way through with his enchanted great sword. Several strokes later, he had caved in the door and everyone was able to force their way inside. Beyond lay a short corridor and another door, which Toiva also destroyed.

Inside, we found a large carved out room with twisted crystal columns. The shape of a giant spider had been carved into the floor and an alter stood at the other side. Our quarry stood nearby with their one remaining guard. Ignoring the guard, Cobbe and Toiva attacked. We could see now that the one chanting outside had a symbol of a spider worn around his neck, while the more heavily armored one wore a silver symbol with a dragon on it. The spider priest, sidestepped Cobbe’s attack and poisoned him. As Toiva attacked the dragon priest, the drow tried to slip by him. The bard tripped him.

The Spider priest stepped back from Cobbe’s attack and tried to call down a flame strike on him, but Joy was ready. She called on the Lady’s powers to nullify the priest’s spell even as it was cast. Toiva cut the prone dragon priest in two and then helped Cobbe finish the other. Searching the temple, Joy found a secret panel behind the carved alter. Liana tried to see if it was trapped and then opened it. They had not counted on magical protections! The explosive runes wounded Liana and Joy but the object inside seemed undamaged. A deep red glow emanated from the foot-tall teardrop shaped object. It seemed to glow and move with an inner light. Could this be the heartsblood of the Mountain the great elemental had mentioned?

I stood watch at the outer door as the others investigated the temple. The goblins seemed uninterested in attacking us. Instead I heard the sound of fierce fighting coming from the cavern opposite where the goblins had entered. A number of goblins finally began to gather near the pit and seemed to be preparing for a charge. Before they could, though, Cobbe asked Lux to translate as he tried to negotiate our exit.

A particularly large and nasty goblin finally came forward.
“We hate the evil nasty dark elves (ptui!)” he finally told us.
“The evil nasty drow (ptui!) are our enemies as well!” the paladin told them.
Bringing the body of the slain spider priest, Cobbe threw it to them and they ripped it apart with glee. After some negotiation and much spitting about the drow on both sides, the goblins agreed not to attack us.

Seemingly satisfied that we were allies (though Toiva soon pointed out that the goblins were still evil), they allowed us to help them clear out the remaining drow from their homes in the adjoining cavern. Toiva and Cobbe managed to capture one of the guards to question

Our victory lacked only the most important thing, the objects we sought. Titansbane and the Salutorum did not seem to be in the temple or the living quarters of the drow. Several of us began to look uneasily at the impenetrable dark pit. Our prisoner explained that it was the home of “the god” and that victims were often thrown down to appease it. He also told us that the path out of the cavern opposite the one we entered led to “the world.” It seems there is more to the underdark than this place alone. Satisfied he had told us what he could, Cobbe insisted that the drow be allowed to flee toward “the world” on his own. Several of the goblins chased after him but we do not know if he survived.

Cobbe tried pulling out his perpetually flaming sword and placing it in the pit. The darkness seemed to swallow the sword’s light as though it had been dipped in ink.
“I can ask the Lady for the Daylight miracle tomorrow” Joy said “but I do not have it right now. I can close up a stone passage if we need it though.”

We explored the caverns more closely as the goblins celebrated their victory. A short ways further into the underdark were two abandoned caves. We determined to hole up in one of those and await dawn before going into the pit. Joy used Stone Shape to close the entrance off but for a few holes for air, and we resolved to wait until the far-off dawn.

Sometime in the night, Liana heard the distant sounds of fighting. It did not touch us in our hiding place, but we wondered what we might find when morning outside finally did come.

Last edited:

DoctorB

First Post
A Long-Hidden Truth

In the morning, Karl scouted out the entrance to the drow cavern and discovered that the dark elves had returned in the night. Two of the massive three-armed giants stood guard beside the entrance. The Champions made their plans.

Drinking her darkvision potion, Joy ran past the guarding giants into the main part of the cavern as the other Champions and their dwarven allies attacked the guards. Even as Joy arrived at the side of the pit and prepared to call upon the Lady’s power of daylight, she saw that she was in trouble. Two more of the giants moved to attack her even as arrows came from beyond the limit of her vision to strike her solidly. Ignoring the pain, she cast the spell and looked around for a way out. Three of the giants now had her surrounded near the pit, striking her with their massive clubs.

Meanwhile, the other Champions discovered that they guards were anything but pushovers. They dealt out massive damage with their greatclubs and took Toiva and Cobbe’s mightiest blows. As the Daylight spell filled their half of the cavern with light, everyone saw how much danger Joy was in.

Liana tumbled between the legs of one of the giants to run to the priestess’ aid. As the others forced their way into the edge of the cavern, a third giant joined the others in the melee. Rolf finally called upon the strength of the Mountain and set his feet, determined not to be moved from that spot. Meanwhile Arina and Liana covered Joy as she retreated back toward the cavern entrance as arrows continued to whiz around and into her. Galena could just make out a couple of drow at the edge of the light, and centered a fireball there. She was rewarded with crys of pain and at least one of the enemies fell there.

As Joy fell back to the others, Rolf died in combat against two of the giants, but his sacrifice had bought the others valuable time. They retreated into the entrance cavern again where only two of the giants could reach them at once. Fearing the unseen drow beyond the daylight, Onyx pulled out an ancient scroll and read a spell from it. A wall of fire sprang up near the edge of the pit, forcing other attackers to run through it to get to the heroes. Two of the giants did so in addition to the two the Champions now fought in the passageway. Galena summoned a horde of smaller foes to confuse the giants and allow Liana and Karl to find vital places to strike as Toiva and Cobbe threw all their strength into their blows. Finally, three of the giants died in the corridor and one other fled rather than face the same fate.

Unsure about the fate of the remaining drow, the party slowly worked their way out into the chamber as Onyx continued to concentrate on the wall of fire. The Champions considered how to get into the pit where the “god” was supposedly waiting. Finally, they arrived at a plan.

DoctorB

First Post
Slowly, the Champions shoved the 4500-pound giant’s body toward the towering wall of fire and the edge of the pit of darkness below. Onyx continued to concentrate, holding up the wall against the drow leaders they thought would be waiting for them on the other side. Cobbe, Toiva, and Liana had been prepared with delay poison spells by Joy against the presumed spider poison awaiting them. Finally, Galena set the giant’s remains on fire and they dropped the heavy weight in. Everyone stood around the edge with missile weapons ready to shoot the “god” as it came to investigate. The body caught in a web some distance below the lip of the pit. The vast bulk of a spider bigger than any creature the Champions had ever seen moved surprisingly quickly into view. It investigated the dead giant and started to move back along its web. Everyone fired their missile weapons, but as none of them were magical, the projectiles merely bounced harmlessly off. The flaming body quickly set fire to the nearby webs and burned a hole in the center of the spider’s creation.

Sighing, Cobbe pulled out his hundred feet of knotted rope and dropped it in. No one knew how deep the pit was, but he hoped it would not extend beyond his rope. The Paladin lowered himself over the edge and began climbing down. Toiva followed quickly and then Liana. The opening went down about ten feet and then opened into a vast cavern. The spider-god remained out of sight.

Just as the rogue climbed down past the edge of the pit the beast revealed itself. Scuttling along the ceiling of the pit, it gathered darkness at its pincers and bit her, channeling evil power into the blow. Nearly killed instantly by the power of evil in the attack, Liana desperately tried to hold onto consciousness. She suddenly realized she had been thrown from the rope and fell away toward the darkness. Without hesitation, Arin, watching from above, dove into the pit after her.

As the others gawked at his foolishness in throwing himself to his likely death below, they saw something strange. As he fell, Arin’s form began to melt and shift. Wings sprung from his back as his body lengthened. He now had four legs and his neck extended as his head melted into a reptilian form. Instead of pale skin and the white robe he had been wearing, he now had scales of blue-gray with a streak of silver white extending behind his head. Sweeping his wings to slow his fall, Arin landed in the web beside the nearly unconscious Liana. Sure she was dead, Liana dimly perceived the bulk of the reptilian beast beside her, its tail wrapped around her where she lay.
“Liana!” Joy shouted, jumping up and down in excitement. “Your boyfriend’s a DRAGON!”

DoctorB

First Post
The remaining Champions had other things to worry about. Cobbe continued to climb down the rope, hoping to recover Titansbane and the Salutorum without having to kill the gargantuan spider. Toiva held on to the rope with his legs and one arm as he swung his sword at the spider clinging to the ceiling near him. Galena tried to cast spells at the beast, but each was harmlessly absorbed. Onyx cast spider climb on himself and went into the pit hoping to get to the bottom and cast another daylight spell so they could see down there.

Toiva’s battle with the spider did not go well. After several exchanges, the spider caught him with a particularly powerful attack, and he lost consciousness. Fortunately, his arm remained hooked around the rope as he fell. Cobbe, climbing fifty feet below, decided to catch him. The Paladin held on to the rope with his legs as Toiva’s weight crashed into him. Both of them slid along the rope for a few feet and stopped, Cobbe holding the unconscious Toiva and hanging nearly upside down. The spider, devoid of opponents above, calmly snipped through the rope. Now beyond the reach of Joy’s daylight spell, Cobbe had no idea how far the bottom was. He prepared himself for a long fall. In fact, they fell only ten feet before crashing into a foul-smelling muck of petrified bones, flesh, and gods knew what else. Cobbe had just enough healing left to keep Toiva alive, but could not wake him up.

Meanwhile, Arin flew Liana to the surface where she could be healed by Joy and Karl before returning below. Though a dragon, Arin was not particularly large, perhaps fifteen feet from nose to tail. He flew back into the pit and tried to pull the spider off the ceiling. He was bitten for his trouble and found his own strength woefully inadequate to the task. The spider withdrew, however, and moved to attack Cobbe and Toiva below. As he prepared to fly back into the cavern, a now healed Liana insisted on coming with him. Arin took her gently in his claws and flew back inside.

Cobbe could not see in the total darkness below, but he suspected the creature would attack him. Guessing the direction, he called on the Lady to show him evil. None appeared. Having not seen Arin change, he was surprised when a strange voice told him in what direction to look. Cobbe did not stop to question but turned in the indicated direction and found the nearly overwhelming evil that indicated the great spider.

Not needing light to sense the presence of the evil creature, Arin moved to attack it as the spider arrived on the soft floor of the cavern. Finally arriving at the bottom of the pit himself, Onyx cast daylight, canceling out the darkness that prevented the magically flaming sword Cobbe had bracketed to his shield from shedding light. The space lit up, showing the ghastly detritus of hundreds of years of victims. The light glowed in the eight eyes of the twenty-foot spider as it attacked Arin. Fortunately, it already had large rents in its skin from Toiva’s sword and claw marks where Arin had struck. Cobbe and Liana joined into the fight and after a few moments finally destroyed the creature.

Using detect magic to scan the space under the muck, the Champions and their allies found the great dwarven artifacts they sought. Onyx cradled Titansbane against him and Cobbe brought up the great cup that was the Salutorum as well as numerous potions. Perhaps they could find more if they looked more carefully, but everyone was anxious to get back to the safety of the Dwarvenrealm. All they had to do was make their way through an army of drow, goblins, and three-armed giants. Perhaps they would not have to face the nine-headed serpent beast to escape.

As the rush of battle wore off, Liana looked if anything even more stunned than before. Tentatively, she reached out to touch Arin’s scales.
“I wanted to tell you,” he said plaintively in that strange new voice.
“"But... you're still... *you*?" she asked.

Joy looked thoughtful for a moment.
“Does that mean Horus is a dragon too?” she asked.
“Well,” Arin replied. “Yeah.”

DoctorB

First Post
Arin's Story

The Champions holed up for the night using Joy’s Stone Shape to close in an abandoned cavern near the remains of the main drow camp. Finally, Cobbe turned to Arin, now back in human form:

“So, now that we know that you’re a dragon. I think that is great and all, but you need to go on and tell us everything we need to know about keeping the secret and everything.”

“Well,” Arin began. “I didn’t tell you because I know that people, especially elves, sometimes fear dragons and I wanted you to let me stay. I have really spent more of my life in this form than my natural one anyway. Since you rescued me, I have only changed one other time.”

The others gave a questioning look.

“When I realized what I was, I became very angry at Khalkis for what he did to me and went to do something about it. I flew back to Pella and cleaned out his zombies.”

Everyone laughed at this revelation. Cobbe beamed at Arin. “That was well done!”

“I had some help from the Gens. I didn’t get to Khalkis himself, but he had to run away.”

“Why do elves dislike dragons more?” Joy asked.

“I don’t know all the lore. You would have to ask Master Horus for the rest, but I do know that a long time ago, the metallic and chromatic dragons worked together and the elves fought against them.”

“Huranel certainly doesn’t like you!” said Joy.

“It’s a good thing the sword isn’t too smart, though. It doesn’t seem to know what I am when in human form.”

Liana drew the elven sword from its sheath. She didn’t feel the fierce hatred radiating from it for Arin as she had before, but Huranel seemed… watchful.

Cobbe was thoughtful. “Did all of the dragons end up in glass tubes like you did?”

“I only know about myself, but according to the histories in Sazon, some evil dragons were at the battle against Alexander at least.”

After a lot of discussion about the powers of good and evil dragons the Champions settled down to wait out the day. They knew that the drow might be waiting for them again, but the affects of the delay poison spells against the spider-god began to wear off. As they did even Joy’s healing skill was not enough to stop both Liana and Toiva from becoming paralyzed by the powerful poison.

Joy and Cobbe could feel when dawn broke in the outside world again. They healed the others, except for the dead Rolf Wolfcaller, and prepared to fight their way back to the Dwarvenrealm.

Remove ads