D&D 5E Does “Whack-A-Mole” Healing really happen in games?

Does “whack-a-mole” healing really happen?

I play a cleric who is also the tank. I like to make sure the party has hit points before they drop because If I go down, we have no other healing. But since I’m also the tank, I have to worry less that they’ll be downed despite my crappy healing.
In another game, the cleric can stay clear of Dangerous situations and manage healing. There’s more whack a mole because he can time healing better and he isn’t often the focus of attacks

when a monster is doing 12 points of damage, it’s pointless to heal someone from 5 to 10 hit points if the monster is going to knock hit them before they act. It’s better to wait for the monster to do damage, drop your ally and then healing word the ally so they can attack the monster.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Yes. In one adventure, my group inflicted the HP Yo-Yo on a BBEG.
The guy started out by casting Insect Swarm and catching half the group in the zone, so we decided he was a high-priority target. Eventually he went down. His bodyguard fed him a Potion of Healing; he got up and ran. The Barbarian hit him with a throwing axe and he went down. Repeat bodyguard action. Meanwhile my Halfling Arcane Trickster is trying to chase down this guy - running through the bodyguard's space to the DM's consternation - but he's a Wood Elf getting into high gear and I have no daggers to throw at him. (The bodyguard caught up to me so I had to deal with that.)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Not in my experience so far. I mean, if someone is down, getting them up or stable is priority, but waiting for them to go down to heal them seems like a terrible strategy, and that can only work if the DM eases up frequently.

EDIT to answer the actual question: Yes, I am sure it happens. But I remain confuzzled as to why it would.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not in my experience so far. I mean, if someone is down, getting them up or stable is priority, but waiting for them to go down to heal them seems like a terrible strategy, and that can only work if the DM eases up frequently.

EDIT to answer the actual question: Yes, I am sure it happens. But I remain confuzzled as to why it would.
Agreed. Especially if the downed PC gets attacked again before the healer can heal. Instant death save fails and then dead PC

I don't wait for my car to run out of gas completely before getting more gas.

TheSword

Legend
Has a person been healed from 0 hp and got up and started fighting, yes.

Does this happen repeatedly, no.

Healing word is the problem. Don’t have this in the party then it’s not a problem.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases