• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does 1d12+5 for ability scores work OK?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I’m sure this has probably come up before but has anyone tried 1d12 +5 for rolling Ability Scores?

What is the downside of this?

Ps my Maths is atroash...atroch...attroshouce…..and so is my spelling

It's a flat distribution. There's no curve at all. You're exactly as likely to end up with a 6 or a 17.

It increases the likelihood that someone will end up with all good stats or all bad stats, since there's nothing biasing the roll toward average.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I’m sure this has probably come up before but has anyone tried 1d12 +5 for rolling Ability Scores?

What is the downside of this?

Ps my Maths is atroash...atroch...attroshouce…..and so is my spelling

As has been mentioned you'll a linear distribution rather than a bell curve so you'll have more high numbers (but no 18s), and more low numbers (but no 3s-5s) and less middle numbers than in 4d6 drop lowest.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Not a Maths buff here (at all). Just wondered. Thanks.

Is there anything in auto-starting with a 16 in your main stat (after racial addons) and totally randomising the rest?

Just looking for theoretical alternatives. (not that I have any issues with the norm).

Is there anything in auto-starting with a 16 in your main stat (after racial addons) and totally randomising the rest?
The seventh edition of Gamma World, which uses a variation on the D&D 4E ruleset, let you start with an 18 in your main stat and roll 3d6 for the rest. (Or that's the basic idea, anyway; it's a little more complicated than that.)

If you wanted to say that everyone starts with a 16 in their main stat, and then roll (1d12+5) five times for the other stats, you could certainly do it. The game should remain playable, no matter how you generate stats, as long as they're all in the 3-18 range.

If you wanted to get a little more complicated, you could let players decide whether they'd rather have an 18 in one stat, or 16 in two stats, and then roll randomly for the rest. That might work better for monks and paladins.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I don't like random stats but if I had to, I would use playing cards.

Use the 2s-6s. Deal out into 6 piles of 3.

You can use as is or remove 2 of them so that everyone has the same sum. The downside as with most randomized methods is that it is possible to have a stat higher than 15. The likelihood of this is lower than other methods and having a high stat means others will be lower.

Remove ads