D&D 5E Does an item to enhance Unarmed Strike exist?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
My monk player asked (reasonably) if there was any way he could get a magic item to boost his unarmed strike to-hit and damage like a magical weapon would. Essentially he wants a +1 weapon, but just for his hands.

Quickly glancing through the DMG magic items (which are horribly organized IMHO) I didn't see anything. Since he is gaining the bonus to hit AND damage, but not gaining anything from the "counts as a magic weapon" ability I let him purchase a custom made spiked glove affair from a dwarven craftsman for 600gp.

Does such an item actually exist and I missed it?

DS

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't recall seeing such a thing either, but I haven't done an exhaustive search myself so I dunno.

I can say, I don't think it would be weird to make a magic fisticuffs or handwraps item that functions as a +1 "weapon" for unarmed strike. It's not like unarmed strikes are incredibly overpowered or anything; even with the Monk damage die, you need to be at a moderately high level before they even compete with a short sword or (other people wielding) a rapier.

DMCF

First Post
Monks aren't exactly OP in combat so I think the DM should be able to do anything for unarmed strikes that is done for weapons. At many monk levels it is just flavor anyways. A 1d6 finesse weapon or a glove that gives +'s is just fine.

You can also mix up some gloves for different damage types.
Tiger Claw = Slashing
Spiked Gauntlet = Piercing

This will make them think hard about their weapon choices just like any other character.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I did not see one. Easy enough to add. Still pretty annoying playing a monk and not having one. I'm sure if it is designed by WotC it will require attunement for no good reason.

CapnZapp

Legend
Previous editions have added such monk items, and so will this one.

But they're almost never added in the DMG. For official support, you'll have to wait.

pathfinder (and likely 3.5e) had the amulet of mighty fists that did this. But it was needed for the math in that case. It's not in 5e do just giving the monk an item that gives them magic fists seems like a boring waste of an item.

Something cooler would be more interesting. Like hand wraps that can be ignited once per day giving your monk fire damage. Or a set of five rings that can unleash a blast of force, or a tiger claws weapon that shifts monk damage to piercing or slashing.

Remove ads