Does anybody else hate the Point Buy Sell Off?

Fishbone

First Post
I was really happy to see that Pathfinder point by started at 10. I like everybody being at 10, 8 at the worst, with most of their stats. To me, having people on the very low end of a bell curve doesn't strike me as too heroic. I've never played things with dump stats and I groan when I see 6 Wisdom and 4 Charisma. I groan when I see characters playing the equivalent of the severely mentally handicapped and small players with less strength than some of the most feeble of humans.

Pathfinder built that "Path-ology" right into the system when it became harder and harder to buy up higher stats because of the racial bonuses. It should have never happened. It is the first thing I'm going to house rule if I ever get a shot to DM. I hate it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yes, it's an abomination. My first experience playing a Pathfinder game had a player with an elven conjuror with stats something like str 7, dex 18, con 14 (racial penalty hurts :) ), int 20, wis 7, cha 7. Fun!

I really don't like the changes to point buy and racial stat bonuses at all. Much more than in 3E, I feel like I need a race with a +2 in my most critical stat to keep up, the price jump for a 14 makes it harder to make a MAD class with mostly 14s across the board now, and in general the system seems build to encourage you to utterly nuke a stat to 7, or 5 after racial penalty, just to make due on the important ones.

MortonStromgal

First Post
Not really, we still roll our attributes and hit point. Right now my level 2 half-elf bard has a STR 11, DEX 16, CON 9, INT 11, WIS 6, CHA 15. I really enjoy the challenge of not having attribute scores I want. So I dont mind the "sell off" part of point buy.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Yes, I too hate the point buy sell off.

However, I don't have a better solution - except perhaps capping the "selloff" at 8. (Although that will still result in 6s.)

I'm thinking of simply returning to the standard way when I run my next campaign - 4d6, drop lowest, arrange as desired.

Crothian

First Post
I don't blame players for this I blame the DMs. As long as the DMs are making it so that the 5 stat never comes to play and never is a hindrance ion the character then the player is just going to keep doing it.

I do dislike point buy in general though not for this reason.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I offer a choice between point buy an rolling... I don't think that anybody has taken point buy....

If someone has a low stat in my game you can bet that it sees use. :) For that matter, if I'm playing somebody with a low stat you can bet that it will see use, even if it is only the low dex PI knocking drinks off the table with his elbows.... Otherwise, why bother?

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Samurai

Adventurer
We only allow 1 stat to drop below 10. That way, you can have a single area where you are below par, which is realistic, but not dump everything but the most vital stats.

Samurai

Adventurer
I offer a choice between point buy an rolling... I don't think that anybody has taken point buy....

If someone has a low stat in my game you can bet that it sees use. :) For that matter, if I'm playing somebody with a low stat you can bet that it will see use, even if it is only the low dex PI knocking drinks off the table with his elbows.... Otherwise, why bother?

The

Same here, I was playing a Chr 6 dwarven druid who had no civilized manners. He spat, cursed, insulted, and generally annoyed people with his habits, and I loved playing him that way! Sure, as a player I knew that we needed to smooth-talk the mayor of the town, but a half-feral dwarf wouldn't care...

Remove ads