Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Initially I was bothered by both. But after reflection I found that there were places for both in my long running home brew. In fact, both had places that were rather central to the setting.

Well, I could only use the dragonborn with a name change and a history change . . . so pretty much extensive flavor alteration. The tieflings would only fit as a very tiny minority in a geographically limited area . . . a place that happened to be the primary dungeoneering destination.

So for my homebrew it's a win. For certain other published settings I love (Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Mystara) I'm just not sure so I'm indifferent. Greyhawk? I dunno at all. Dark Sun, dragonborn work well as Dray. Mystara, tieflings might work as diabolus with some slight changes and with an abundance of anthropomorphized animal races, dragonborn could fit as some newly discovered race in an isolated pocket on Brun or as some distant nation on Davania.

Rechan

Adventurer
Love'm both.

But then, I'm likely your outlier. For my homebrew, I'd prefer to replace Dwarves with Warforged, Elves with Shifters, and Halflings with Kenku.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I like Planescape-esque tieflings fine -- you know, the ones where no two look exactly alike. Not the 4E variety that look like a unified race.

QFT

I adore tieflings, just not the stylistic direction that 4e has diverged off on. I don't like the gigantic horns and all tieflings having a monolithic appearance (which is at complete odds with prior portrayals).

For what sort of tiefling I like, here's one (Factol Rhys of the Ciphers) that Tony DiTerlizzi drew for his blog the other day:

cipher.jpg

Shadeydm

First Post
I dislike them both especially that they have been made core PHB races. I would have them both more tolerable if they had been MM races instead.

Having said that I will be playing in my first 4E game tonight. My first 4E character; why an Unaligned Dragonboob Paladin of Kord of course. Actually since it's a he I guess the Dragonboob thing doesn't really apply unless he is horribly overweight. Who knows maybe playing one will change my feelings about them.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I really like the tieflings - but I keep thinking of the visuals of the Planescape tieflings - the new design is a bit meh.

Dragonborn are... something between dislike and indifference. I like them mechanically, I think the idea of something lizardish/dragonish isn't that bad, perhaps even interesting, but I just cannot find the 4E guys interesting.

Cheers, LT.

racoffin

First Post
Don't particularly like tieflings as written, although the take on them from Planescape was tolerable.

I extremely dislike Dragonborn however.

Alt F4

First Post
Indifferent. Neither is the type of character I'm ever likely to play, but I don't object to them being there for the people who will enjoy playing them.

Verdande

First Post
I like them both, although I miss half-orcs. I could do without two types of elves, though. I hate elves, and having two of them kicking around is kick a swift kick straight to the nuts.

Dragonborn are fine, though. As somebody else posted, they have this klingon-esque honorbound warrior ethos, which is kinda cool. As long as we have options other than the incredibly boring human/elf/halfling/dwarf stereotypes, then I'm all good.

Remove ads