Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
As for the tiefling, if they only had the asimars with them, then I'd be alright with them. Those two go together, like two peas in a pod.

Unfortunately, as we read in Races and Classes, Wizards thinks that good guys are lame; only angsting anti-heroes are cool!

Eric Tolle

First Post
Also, am I the only one who thinks the Elderin, Elves, and Drow are nothing more than Asian, European, and African elves?

Hopefully.

This would be making some really nasty associations, and we've already had one thread closed for racial content.

Serendipity

Explorer
I went indifferent - neither of the races are inherantly bad ideas, it's just that IMO, the execution is rather lacking.
The notion of the 4e Tiefling is fine, but I wish they'd call it something else as it's nothing like what I think of when I think Tiefling (e.g. Planescape).

When I finish changing my game over to 4e I'll pro'lly include both races, but with some mods - and swap out the fluff for some of my own. What's been put forward so far has lacked.

Rechan

Adventurer
Unfortunately, as we read in Races and Classes, Wizards thinks that good guys are lame; only angsting anti-heroes are cool!
Which, all it requires is a teensy bit of recalibration.

Look at the angels in 4e as a basis. They're not "Good". They are merely forces of personality, dedicated to certain causes. An Aasimar can equally function on that same perspective. They are "Angelic" like the 4e angels: full of awe and intensity, not warm celestial fuzzies.

An evil aasimar is just as likely as an evil tiefling. The aasimar is a matter of passion and direction whipped up and charging, while the tiefling is corrupted and sinister.

Hussar

Legend
Well, ignoring those sitting on the fence in the middle, those that like the races outnumber those who don't by about 2:1. For a completely new, untested couple of races without any traction, I'd say that's pretty darn successful.

EATherrian

First Post
Well, ignoring those sitting on the fence in the middle, those that like the races outnumber those who don't by about 2:1. For a completely new, untested couple of races without any traction, I'd say that's pretty darn successful.

I'm not sure we can take a ENWorld poll as quite scientific though. I'm sure the poll could easily be different on different sites.

Spiral

First Post
If you want to argue that a Dragonborn ought to be a monotreme, however, I'd disagree with that opinion. Further, unless Dragons nurse their young, I see no reason why the Dragonborn ought to do so.
Is there any info in any of the books outlining how the dragonborn came into existence? My brain immediately goes into "magically-created hybrid servitor race who outlived their creator". The mammaries are just vestigial. I have a human mercenary fighter who really, really hates dragonborn because in his experience they're arrogant, cruel and self-important snakes. From what he's gathered, the real opinion of dragons on the dragonborn ranges from They're an abomination to They're a slightly chewier and more filling snack.

Of course, he had a bit of a rough childhood. "Stupid 4 year old dragonborn bullies with their breath weapons... I'll never be called Kindling or Stickman ever again!" Fun concept.

Edit: Hopefully the promised ecology article will flesh out the Dragonborn a little.

@Fenes: Wikipedia agrees with you on tieflings, for what that's worth.
Wikipedia! said:
"Tiefling" was coined by Wolfgang Baur, when original Planescape designer David "Zeb" Cook asked for a Germanic-sounding word for humans with fiendish blood. Baur derived the name from teufel, or "Devil" in German. The direct translation of tiefling, however, would be "deepling," since tief means "deep." A closer derivation from teufel would be teufling.

In a standard game, Tieflings tend to have an unsettling air about them, and most people are uncomfortable around them, whether they are aware of the tiefling's unsavory ancestry or not.

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned

The ones in the middle aren't sitting on the fence though. They're not indifferent. They like one and dislike the other. You can't count them out.

Remove ads