• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

EATherrian

First Post
Im going to ask the people who think tieflings and dragonborn should not be core one question. Why? Why should they not be core? Just because tolkien did not have them?

For me it's because I don't see them having a broad role, and since I'm using an established game-world that included all of the 3.x core, new core races mean too much ret-conning or trashing my world and creating a new one. Some of us enjoy our worlds and enjoy having the races we've had since 1st Edition AD&D still available as core. Plus as I mentioned in another response I think that the Tieflings are just there to help out the 'angsty' vibe that started with a certain badly written dark elf.

Im going to ask the people who think tieflings and dragonborn should not be core one question. Why? Why should they not be core? Just because tolkien did not have them?

Personally, I think they should have to sit in the corner until their art and design is re-done, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as them not being core. I think the main problem Dragonborn have is that, despite being, y'know kinda a Dragons, they're actually pretty dull and unmemorable. If you gave Klingons a breath-weapon you'd have something more exciting, frankly, and when your fancy new fantasy is racer is "duller than Klingons", I don't think you should be too proud of yourself. Also tail fiasco.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Anti-hero doesn't have to mean evil, it usually just means "bad tempered or otherwise "not so good" hero that kills evil with lots of violence and other dark touches".

Tieflings and Dragonborn seem to fit this rather well, compared to say the clichee Paladin that upholds honor and good without using every means at his disposal.

Actually, dragonborn are described as being extremely honorable as a race, so the only race that is less anti-hero (by default) than they are would be dwarves, and that's even arguable.

So I fully disagree that they fit anti-hero rather well, and say that they actually don't fit anti-hero at all unless you specifically make them unlike the rest of their kind.

Rechan

Adventurer
They're a warlike inhuman lizard race. That alone makes them "anti hero".

Are they more warlike than oh, DWARVES? You know, the guys whose natural inclination is for the Fighter?

Also, Inhuman? Hint: If it ain't human, it's inhuman.

Warlike and Inhuman does not mean anti-hero. If you want to stretch the definition, then by nature, adventurers are anti-heroes. They're breaking into people's homes to murder them and loot. They butcher humanoids based on their skin and race. They walk into town armed to the teeth. They defile the resting place of the dead. Etc. Etc.

Remove ads