• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Im going to ask the people who think tieflings and dragonborn should not be core one question. Why? Why should they not be core? Just because tolkien did not have them?

Because they're change for the sake of change, and it's poorly done change. They're not aesthetically pleasing at all. Their fluff isn't enjoyable. Dragonborn are there for "People who want to play dragons!" and tieflings are there for "People who like Drizzt!" Because they're too out there and "wowee!" for Core.

Because they're change for the sake of change, and it's poorly done change. They're not aesthetically pleasing at all. Their fluff isn't enjoyable.
Pure opinion. Many enjoy the art and background info.

Dragonborn are there for "People who want to play dragons!" and tieflings are there for "People who like Drizzt!" Because they're too out there and "wowee!" for Core.
People have been wanting to play dragons since at least 1E days (otherwise EGG would not have warned against it). And methinks if they wanted a race for people who want to play Drizzt, they would have used, y'know, drow.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
People have been wanting to play dragons since at least 1E days (otherwise EGG would not have warned against it). And methinks if they wanted a race for people who want to play Drizzt, they would have used, y'know, drow.

I believe it was on this thread, last page, in which I showed the developers stating that they modeled the new tieflings after Drizzt.

williamhm

First Post
I believe it was on this thread, last page, in which I showed the developers stating that they modeled the new tieflings after Drizzt.

change is good though, and how is the fluff any worse than the fluff for any other race? I mean I love the new art for dwarves but their fluff could come straight out of tolkien. Which is really bland. Personally I like the fluff for both tieflings and dragonborn, as do according to the poll the majority of people.

Rechan

Adventurer
Here's you, quoting Races and Classes:
Forgive my bias, but I'll take horns and brimstone over sunshine and perfection any day. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be the super good guy.
"Sunshine and Perfection" encompasses Drizzt more than horns and brimstone. Believe me? Read any of Salvatore's books. Try to slog through the basalt-thick tripe that are Drizzt's journal entries at the beginning of each Act. They are full of "Why can't we all just get along"s. The "angst" comes from the "Woe, everyone is mean to me, where be my acceptance?", "There is so much evil in the world. It's not right," and other 'outwardly stoic, inwardly crying and desperately in need of a hug' stuff. He, honest to god, touched a unicorn in Sojourn. Du'Urden craps rainbows.

Tieflings are, well, horns and brimstone. It's "Evil-Curious" and "The Bad Boy", lacking only a pompadour (but I think that's because it just doesn't work with the horns). They scream "YEAH I've got infernal redbull pumping through my veins; want to fight about it?" that reaches out to every angry or cynical teenager in the world who thinks he's too cool in his trench coat. They are a race of John Bender, Fonzi, Marlon Brando, Captain Jack Sparrow, Spike, Dirty Harry, Lord Byron, Rudy, Blade, Neo, Gambit and Wolverine in a blender.

So I don't see how one can connect Drizzt to the Tieflings.

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Here's you, quoting Races and Classes:
"Sunshine and Perfection" encompasses Drizzt more than horns and brimstone. Believe me? Read any of Salvatore's books. Try to slog through the basalt-thick tripe that are Drizzt's journal entries at the beginning of each Act. They are full of "Why can't we all just get along"s. The "angst" comes from the "Woe, everyone is mean to me, where be my acceptance?", "There is so much evil in the world. It's not right," and other 'outwardly stoic, inwardly crying and desperately in need of a hug' stuff. He, honest to god, touched a unicorn in Sojourn. Du'Urden craps rainbows.

Tieflings are, well, horns and brimstone. It's "Evil-Curious" and "The Bad Boy", lacking only a pompadour (but I think that's because it just doesn't work with the horns). They scream "YEAH I've got infernal redbull pumping through my veins; want to fight about it?" that reaches out to every angry or cynical teenager in the world who thinks he's too cool in his trench coat. They are a race of John Bender, Fonzi, Marlon Brando, Captain Jack Sparrow, Spike, Dirty Harry, Rudy, Neo, Gambit and Wolverine in a blender.

So I don't see how one can connect Drizzt to the Tieflings.

Here's ALSO me quoting that same thing:

Sly, sexy, and a little sinister, they afforded D&D players a chance to flirt with the dark side without actually crossing the line into full-blown evil. Why play Drizzt when you could play the great-grandson of a pit fiend"

Mallus

Legend
Dragonborn are there for "People who want to play dragons!" and tieflings are there for "People who like Drizzt!"
You sure about that? My group likes both the new races, and we, collectively, know our way around fantasy. In fact, we incorporated the whole Tiefling/Dragonborn war into our new homebrew. A first for us, being inspired by RAW fluff.

Remove ads