Does anyone actually like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

Do you like Dragonborn and Tieflings?

• I love them both

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I like them both

Votes: 228 31.3%
  • I love/like Dragonborn, not so much Tieflings

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • I love/like Tieflings, not so much Dragonborn

Votes: 97 13.3%
  • I dislike them both

Votes: 130 17.8%
  • I hate them both

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 66 9.1%

Eric Tolle

First Post
If one were to look at traditional (real world mythological) races, one finds...
...human (duh)
...elf
...dwarf
...and that's about it.

*blink blink* Just what do you mean by "real world" here? Traditional role-playing games surely, not real-world mythology. Because there's a hell of a lot more mythological races than that.

Let's see...

Satyre, Dryad, White Women, Centaurs, Mermaids, Nixies, Selkies, Trolls, Phooka, Folletti, redcaps, Spriggans, boggarts, Clurichaun, Domovoi, Vodyanoy, Rusalka, Vila, Kappa, Kitsune,Tengu, Apsara, Aziza, Tanuki, Mimi, Tjilpa, Caipora, Duende, Chitauli, Rokurokubi....and that's just a start. There's thousands more supernatural races in world mythology.

Even if you do the dodgy thing of combining different mythological creatures by shared characteristics, there's a hell of a lot of diversity in European mythologies, much less the rest of the world.

This sounds to me like a dodgy attempt to support a limited creature selection in rpgs, rather than anything based on actual mythology.

hendelmasad

First Post
Meh!

This is a very minor quibble. While I do not hate the idea of either race, I really hate the name Tiefling. It just doesnt sound EVIL-ESQUE. It just doesnt fit imo: "Ohh this is my hunting Falcon, his name is Fifi!" I know its minor but every time someone says the word "Tiefling" its like nails on blackboard. SO I will include both races in any game I run but, change the name from Teifling to something else...I thought Cambion was cool.

:);)

HMasad

Rel

Liquid Awesome
This is a very minor quibble. While I do not hate the idea of either race, I really hate the name Tiefling. It just doesnt sound EVIL-ESQUE. It just doesnt fit imo: "Ohh this is my hunting Falcon, his name is Fifi!" I know its minor but every time someone says the word "Tiefling" its like nails on blackboard. SO I will include both races in any game I run but, change the name from Teifling to something else...I thought Cambion was cool.

HMasad

Agreed. I prefer the term Satan-Spawn myself. Feel's very 1980's!

Fenes

First Post

HMasad

For native german speakers, "Tiefling" sounds close to "Teufel", the german word for "devil", so I never thought it did not sound evil-esque. Literally translated, "tief" means "deep", and that's not that un-evil sounding either.

Brennin Magalus

First Post

Choranzanus

Explorer
If one were to look at traditional (real world mythological) races, one finds...
...human (duh)
...elf
...dwarf
...and that's about it.

Hey, I'm reaching on elf. Tolkien (via Norse, sort of) and Celtic Myth.

Dwarves have a stronger lineage, although - again - Nordic mythology is the strongest source for Dwarves As We Know Them.

After that, Halflings sort of exist (apart from Tolkien) as the little men of fairy stories: perhaps brownies and others of that sort. They're not really a strong PC race (as oD&D halflings weren't, either! You played a halfling only because you Really Really Liked Halflings).

(Asian Mythology has a bunch more animal and river spirits, of course...)

Cheers!

Since when are half elves not traditionaly mythological?
In fact all 3.x races have pretty solid mythological roots except half orc.
Granted, for someone from central europe gnome=dwarf.

Jhaelen

First Post
Since when are half elves not traditionaly mythological?
Well, I don't remember having heard or read anything about half-elves outside of Tolkien's novels (and even there they've not been called 'half-elves'). What traditional, mythological roots are you thinking about?

Rechan

Adventurer
In all honesty, I've been considering half-elves as 'fey touched'. Those with fey in their blood, not necessarily "My dad was an Elf".

This due to the fact I would enjoy nixing elves completely.

Miyaa

First Post
My problem with Dragonborn is that it feels too much like catfolk. Or dogfolk. If I wanted a part-animal part human, I'd go with lycanthropes.

As for the tiefling, if they only had the asimars with them, then I'd be alright with them. Those two go together, like two peas in a pod.

And that dragling image way back looked way too much like the offspring of Jar Jar Binks and a human.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the Elderin, Elves, and Drow are nothing more than Asian, European, and African elves?

Remove ads