• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone still play Dragon Star?

Storyteller01

First Post
Some random info, because it's fun...

Some fun facts, in case you get that player who complains about speed penalties (especially in aircraft).

An interceptor can do a top speed of 40. 45 with a pilot; 50 with a pilot/combat ace PrC combo.

If my math is right (rounding to the nearest hundredth) and assuming Mach 1 is 750 mph, I figure these are approximate real speed conversions in an atmosphere:
-40 equals Mach 3.01
-45 equals Mach 3.41
-50 equals Mach 3.79.

The second fastest aircraft in service today is the SR-71 (the first being the space shuttle; both are at NASA IIRC). The plane it's design was based on (the A-12) actually has a faster recorded highest speed.

To compare:
-Fastest official speed for the A-12: Mach 3.56
-Fastest official speed for the SR-71: Mach 3.43

These are aircraft that (per rumor) required 3 states to turn! One test of a modified A-12 (M/D-12 with drone) required that they start in New Mexico to reach their needed test speed at the California coast!

Let them munch on that when they complain about a -20 to their roll. :)

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
There is still a couple of books left that can be purchased through Amazon.

I must say I love the concept, but it is too extreme for my taste. I've plundered a lot from it though for my homebrew.

Storyteller01

First Post
Ranger REG said:
What's good for the goose (PCs) is also good for the gander (NPC BBEGs). :]

That is, until my group dwindles to one player in attendance.

PS: It's about as likely to kill automatically as a sneak attack, in my opinion. Less, when you figure that the damage does have a level of variability and rogues can use iterative attacks.

Last edited:

Imruphel

First Post
Wow. I just wanted to echo the comments about the use of iaijutsu to replicate sniper damage. That's a really clever and elegant solution. If I ever run a Dragonstar campaign (and I hope I do) I'll be yoinking it!

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
My (incomplete) take on Dragonstar

This was some work I did on it. I wanted to make it more like a D&D/Star Wars fusion than the original writers intended.

Attachments

• Dragonstar.doc
    456.5 KB · Views: 88

teitan

Legend
2WS-Steve said:
I still think it was a concept with some real potential.

I wonder to what extent it was hurt by not using d20 Modern/Future as the base rules (or waiting to use them).

Probably not at all. It came out before D20 Modern was announced. From what I remember FFG had planned only to do limited releases for their settings like Dragonstar, Midnight and Dawnforge.

Storyteller01

First Post
teitan said:
Probably not at all. It came out before D20 Modern was announced. From what I remember FFG had planned only to do limited releases for their settings like Dragonstar, Midnight and Dawnforge.

I think it was hurt most by the 3.0/3.5 conversion. They attempted to incorporate 3.5 rules into the last book (Smuggler's Run), but don't think DS overall sales were enough to warrant a complete re-print. Since few folks weren't interested in buying 3.0 after that...

Your guess is as good as mine though.

Last edited:

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Good to see some renewed interest in DragonStar! I worked up a bunch of stuff years ago, you can check it out here: http://www.angelfire.com/games/Alterniverse/dragonstar/dstar1.htm
But I never got a chance to convert my regular D&D Campaign over to DS.
Looks like I'm finally going to get a chance to run DS. Would love to hear some of your ideas about the Egyptian Mythos Campaign! Off-Forum of course! ;)
Have you seen Bulldogs d20 it's got some stuff that looks perfect for use with DS.
Later,
Brutorz Bill

Psion

Adventurer
Storyteller01 said:
I think it was hurt most by the 3.0/3.5 conversion.

I think it was hurt mostly by the fact that it was delayed by so long.

Of course that leads us to your proposal... if it had been out a year earlier when it was initially promised, 3.5 would not have had as big an impact. But just as important, I think they had a lot of initial interest that faded by the time it came out. Perhaps they couldn't have had it out any sooner, but perhaps they could have been smarter about marketing it before it was ready for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads