• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone use the Gametable?

BrokenSp00n

First Post
I just downloaded this thing called Gametable where you play table top games on your computer. I was wondering if anyone else used it to play D&D or some other game and would be willing to help me. If you have a a way i could contect you ventrilo or something thatd be great

jedavis

First Post
Gametable which is also known as OSU-GT from sourceforge? If that's the one you're using, then I may be able to help you out; I've used it for a number of games before (D&D, Starmada, Space Hulk, WH40k, possibly others), and built a fair number of pogs for it. How may I assist you?

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Yes, I've used Gametable (now known, as hollowleg said, as OSU-gt). You can read about my experiences here. (The oldest post is at the bottom.)

I started my online gaming with OpenRPG, then discovered Gametable and switched to it, then discovered MapTool and never looked back. If you like Gametable, you might want to check out MapTool, which I think is even better (and just as free).

BrokenSp00n

First Post
Well i was wondering if there is like a list of servers or there is a specific ventrilo server or something for playing on the gametable or talking about it I also wanna learn how to play D&D i already Play warhammer 40k but D&D also looks fun :)

jedavis

First Post
I don't think there are any public dedicated GameTable servers, nor to the best of my knowledge is there a vent channel. They do have a forum hosted by sourceforge at The Gametable Project (OSU-GT) • Index page , and I wouldn't be surprised if they had an IRC channel, maybe on freenode, but I haven't found it if there is one.

And yeah, having played with Maptool a couple of times, it is definitely both prettier and more powerful. It really doesn't support my DMing style of "half an hour of prep for six hours of play", though. I very rarely go in with stats for enemies prep'd, so the stat storage and combat macros are wasted on me; it doesn't seem efficient to spend more time inputting stats than it did to come up with them. Likewise maps; we're used to playing by scribbling in pencil on graph paper. Don't need line of sight, lighting, fog of war, and other special effects. It felt less like D&D and more like videogaming.

Then again, digital gaming isn't my primary medium; GameTable is for those days when somebody forgets the graph paper (usually moi), but one of my players remembers to bring a powerstrip. If I were running online all the time, my preferences might be different.

Remove ads