• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Barbarian rage end if Barb goes unconscious?

Glyfair

Explorer
Outside the "RAW" I can understand the rage lasting when unconcious. I've been angry when unconscious (sleeping in this case). I was dreaming and angry in my dream, when I woke up, I was still angry as I woke up.

At the same time, I've read of cases where someone was enraged (berserk level) when knocked unconscious. As soon as they become conscious they were still enraged and attacking people.

green slime

First Post
Glyfair, that would be because there are several different "levels" of unconsciousness, whereof dreaming is a very light level of unconsciousness. A dreaming individual can easily be awoken with a noise, strange light, voice, smell even. Being awoken from a dreaming state, after having been in a fight and rendered unconscious, then sleeping, the dreaming person could naturally assume that the voices around were the voices of the assilants which were attacking him, only a few moments ago according to his conscious recollection of events. But he has not been maintaining that high level of adrenaline output throughout the entire time he was unconscious.

Suffering major injuries and loosing consciousness, is not a very healthy sign, and it leads to deep levels of unconsciousness.

But please ignore me and have fun! It is but a game and a poor rendition of reality anyway. Have raging barbarians lie epileptic-like, quaking while bleeding on the floor. As long as all enjoy the game at the table!

Thanee

First Post
Dr_Rictus said:
Yeah, good luck convincing a barbarian to rage when he really needs it under this rule. And therefore, for my money, good luck convincing any sensible person to play one.

You could probably bribe one with Diehard or Fearless Destiny. ;)

Bye
Thanee

ARandomGod

First Post
Endur said:
The rules aren't clear on this, so its up to the GM interpretation.

Actually, the rules are pretty crystal clear on this. Rage lasts for (newly adjusted) Con mod +3 rounds (+more for specific feats), OR until dropped. That's what the rules state.

Dropping it is a concious action, and cannot be performed unconciously.

Of course, I still agree with your second point there, it IS up to the GM... by definition the GM is always allowed to make up whatever he wants, even flying clearly in the face of what's 'written'. This isn't a holy book, it's a list of suggested guidelines.

Endur said:
For those who like to Rage while they are asleep, I will point out that the spell Calm Emotions can take someone out of a rage. If a spell can take someone out of rage, being asleep probably can as well.

Not at all! Although I'll agree that if the barbarian is unconcious and someone casts Calm Emotions on him he won't get a will save. The unconcious are always considered willing.

Now, onto science. There have been studies performed on sleeping people. They CAN get angry. You may have experienced this yourself, waking up pissed. It happens. There have been drug users in the world. Some drugs interact to have a berzerk effect on some people... Sometimes they pass out while being treated. If they wake up and the drug is still in their system affecting them, they will still lash out. This is one reason they sometimes strap people down. If you're a medical practitioner in the real world and a raging barbarian passes out, I suggest you strap him down. He WILL come out fighting.

irdeggman

First Post
As far as being unconscious causing a barbarian to lose his rage. Let us look at similar things. Many spells have a set duration with the caveat that they can be dismissed.

Say a wizard has cast invisibility on himself or an ally. The duration is 1 min/level and the spell is dismissible. Now the wizard gets knocked unconscious by a fireball in the general area. Does he immediately become visible once he falls unconscious.? The answer is no because there is a duration on the spell. If the spell required concentration in order to remain in effect then the answer would be yes the spell would end once the caster fell unconscious (and hence couldn’t concentrate anymore).

The barbarian’s rage falls under the same criteria it does not require concentration to maintain, in fact while raging the barbarian can’t use concentration. It does require will to change (either to invoke or dismiss). The action must occur during the barbarian’s action and not as a response to someone else’s action. (Basically a free action).

werk

First Post
irdeggman said:
Many spells have a set duration with the caveat that they can be dismissed.

The barbarian’s rage falls under the same criteria it does not require concentration to maintain, in fact while raging the barbarian can’t use concentration. It does require will to change (either to invoke or dismiss). The action must occur during the barbarian’s action and not as a response to someone else’s action. (Basically a free action).

I didn't use this analogy because a spell is more comparable to a supernatural ability. That said, I think the fact that rage is an extraordinary ability makes it even harder to dismiss. It's just something inherent to the being, like immunities or SR. When a monster is unconcious (or sleeping) do they lose their other Ex abilities that were 'on' when they passed out? I think not.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm firmly in the "rage continues when unconscious" camp. I don't see rage as a purely mental effect. Going berserk is definitely going to come with a rush of adrenaline and other chemicals to provide that extra durability and strength. When the barbarian hits the floor, those chemicals are still active until the rage ends and the barbarian becomes fatigued (and, if not healed by that time and he's over 4th level, dead).

the Jester

Legend
Endur said:
For those who like to Rage while they are asleep, I will point out that the spell Calm Emotions can take someone out of a rage. If a spell can take someone out of rage, being asleep probably can as well.

Why? A spell is significantly different from sleep. Hell, even a sleep spell is different from normal sleep- it's harder to awaken from it.

To those of you that end rage when the barb drops unconscious: it sounds like you're saying that when a barbarian does what he does best- rage and fight to the end- he ought to be punished. What, then, are barbarians for in your campaign?

By the RAW, rage has a set duration. As is often the case, injecting too much realism (making it end with unconsciousness) makes the game less fun.

Endur

First Post
the Jester said:
To those of you that end rage when the barb drops unconscious: it sounds like you're saying that when a barbarian does what he does best- rage and fight to the end- he ought to be punished. What, then, are barbarians for in your campaign?

I think you identified why this argument is unresolvable. Half of the people are looking at this as a punishment and the other half are looking at this from a "what ought to be" perspective.

For instance, I agree with the barbs losing rage when the go unconscious, but I've never killed a barbarian under this definition. I don't see it as a punishment. I don't think I've ever even driven a raging barbarian unconscious.

All of the "Sky is Falling" arguers, on the other hand, think GMs are going to slaughter barbarians left and right and create a "de facto" ban of Barbarians.

Scion

First Post
Endur said:
I've never killed a barbarian under this definition.

In the last game I was in the barb would've been dead after nearly every encounter.

He really liked to rage and charge into the middle of things, generally he did a lot of damage and then fell unconscious. Once that happened we always popped a heal on him and finished off the enemies before they could try to do him any harm.

As for 'what ought to be', I think it 'ought to be' that the barb doesnt fall out of rage. He has an ability, it lasts for X amount of time, it doesnt say it ends when he falls unconscious, I see no reason for it to do so. Neither biologically nor rules wise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads