• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does Darkness the spell dispel Faerie Fire?

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
The Darkness spell states that it "If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled." Faerie Fire is a 1st-level spell, so yes, it is dispelled.

Karnack

First Post
It should do, one of the effects of the darkness spell is that it will dispel any spell of 2nd level or lower that creates light if it there is any overlap from the light created and the darkness created. Since Faerie Fire is a 1st level spell and sheds 10ft dim light it'll get snuffed out.

pdegan2814

First Post
The Darkness spell states that it "If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled." Faerie Fire is a 1st-level spell, so yes, it is dispelled.

What that also suggests to me however, is that if a Level 5 Archfey Warlock were to cast Faerie Fire, then Darkness wouldn't dispel it. At Warlock 5, his Pact Magic spell slots are all 3rd level. The same would apply to anyone else casting Faerie Fire using a spell slot of Level 3 or higher, yes? When casting a spell using a higher-level spell slot, the spell assumes that higher level, even if there is no additional effect from leveling it up(such as additional die rolls for damage). Am I reading it right?

What that also suggests to me however, is that if a Level 5 Archfey Warlock were to cast Faerie Fire, then Darkness wouldn't dispel it. At Warlock 5, his Pact Magic spell slots are all 3rd level. The same would apply to anyone else casting Faerie Fire using a spell slot of Level 3 or higher, yes? When casting a spell using a higher-level spell slot, the spell assumes that higher level, even if there is no additional effect from leveling it up(such as additional die rolls for damage). Am I reading it right?

As far as I understand the rules, yes. Anything cast out of a 3rd-level slot is a 3rd-level spell for that casting.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter

Yes, you're reading it right, but bear in mind that Darkness can be cast with a higher spell-slot level, too. It's a spell-casting version of an arms race.

pdegan2814

First Post
Yes, you're reading it right, but bear in mind that Darkness can be cast with a higher spell-slot level, too. It's a spell-casting version of an arms race.

Yes, though if the Darkness was cast as an innate ability, such as the racial abilities of the Drow or Tiefling, those act as if cast at their lowest possible level. So in the original example, if the Drow is "casting Darkness" as his racial ability, then a 3rd-level Faerie Fire wouldn't be dispelled. :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
So how would lets say a 3rd level FF react with a 2nd lvl darkness just the outline of the creature in the big sphere of inky blackness? or what if the target was on the opposite side of the spell oh god can of worms.

Remove ads