• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Detect Magic detect charmed individuals?

jasper

Rotten DM
the srd list a 1st level spell having a faint strength.
The next chart shows spells with faint aura strength have a duration of 1d6 minutes. So
Charm Person 1st spell. 6 minutes go by no more aura.

Macbrea

First Post
That listing of time is residual aura even after the spell has ended. Its so your players can look at a person as say, "well, it appears he was charmed, before he died." Those aura durations are there for investigative purposes.

If you come on the spell while its in effect you will detect a faint aura. As long as a bright aura isn't foreshadowing it. It isn't that big of deal to allow detect magic to detect charm. As there has to be some way to do it. But remember they have to concentrate on that person for 18 seconds. This isn't something that is going to happen in passing. And at higher levels most characters are going to be littered with spells and auras.

Cougar

Felis Concolor
The most important point is that the charmed character is not a minion or mindless.

The game effect for combat would be that the charmed character would only fight if old friends (which he would retain his friendships with) were threatening his new friends. Even so, the charmed character uses the least lethal effective method available to him.

Also, personally, I believe charm should only be effective for the caster, especially if the charmed character is forced to fight friends. The charmed character is friends only with the caster, not his allies, although he would certainly be neutral to them. In my opinion, the charmed person would only protect the caster, especially when fighting friends to do so. The way Charm Person was played on Saturday was WAY above the power of a first level spell. Of course, this is my opinion.

I think this is where the death of the caster of a Charm Person spell comes into play. True, the spell doesn't end, but when a friend dies, I don't think the spell transfers to it's allies. Of course, as I said, this is my interpretation, but as we played it the spell is MUCH more powerful then first level.

Remove ads