• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Dimentional Lock Block Summon Monster

Centaur

First Post
An Argument broke out durring our game tonight about the specifics of the Dimensional Lock spell from MoF. It specifies that dimensional movement is blocked in the area of effect. It lists a number of example spells that this covers but does not specify Summon Monster.

My contention was that while not specified as blocked, it does produce a form of dimentional movement and therefore should be blocked.

The other side of the argument was based on the spirit of the intent, which was to block teleports and other forms of "Self Propelled" Dimensional Movement.

What are your thoughts. Should Dimensional Lock block the use of summon monster within it's area of effect.

FireLance

Legend
Is it the same as the dimensional lock spell from the SRD?
SRD said:
Dimensional Lock
Abjuration
Level: Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space
Duration: One day/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You create a shimmering emerald barrier that completely blocks extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like or psionic abilities. Once dimensional lock is in place, extradimensional travel into or out of the area is not possible.
A dimensional lock does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast, nor does it block extradimensional perception or attack forms. Also, the spell does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell.
Note underlined section. I would say that if dimensional lock does not prevent summoned creatures from leaving at the end of a summoning spell, it should not prevent them from appearing at the start, either.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Or, an exception to the spell effect

Note underlined section. I would say that if dimensional lock does not prevent summoned creatures from leaving at the end of a summoning spell, it should not prevent them from appearing at the start, either.

I'd say that the underlined section was an exception to the spell effect. Otherwise, you
could use dimensional lock to extend summons, and that is probably too powerful. If
I understand correctly, you can make dimensional lock permanent. In that case, not
having summoned creatures depart would be much too powerful.

Thx,

T. Bitonti

Remove ads