• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does "Fantasy Role Playing" attract people who have a hard time in reality?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm not sure it attracts a significantly higher amount of "people who have a difficult time in reality." You don't know the person on the other end of WoW or Xbox Live. People in other activities might be just the same, but go unnoticed because they may just be written off as "quiet" or "loners."

What I think happens is that they are noticed more in fantasy role playing because it is by nature a social activity.

BlackMoria

First Post
Paizo has stated that quite a number of their subscribers to Dungeon and Dragon magazines are prisoners in the penal system.

I would think that would qualify as 'having a hard time in reality'. I know that if I was in prison, I would be having a hard time of it.

theemrys

First Post
I thought I read somewhere that the "boom" for RPGs (at least D&D) was during Recessions... partially because once you have the basic books you don't need anything else and therefore no additional cost... but also because people did want to escape.

Personally, I enjoy it for the social aspects as well as to escape from reality. My reality is good... very good, but sometimes you just want something different. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
BlackMoria said:
Paizo has stated that quite a number of their subscribers to Dungeon and Dragon magazines are prisoners in the penal system.

Interesting. There was a time when roleplaying books were considered contraband in many prisons. I had no idea that had changed.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
PwrMnky said:
I was thinking about this today.

"Does 'fantasy role playing' attract people who have a difficult time in reality?"

Does it attract people who are passive aggressive, or who would like to control EVERY aspect of their lives?

I understand this is not a blanket statement. That I'll receive responses that start off with "not everybody in D&D is ..." or "there are some people ..."

But instead of playing the line, do you think there is an identifiable amount, that is large enough to warrant this observation?

... just thinking.

I'd say yes. Games in general, including board games, tend to attract a somewhat higher percentage of people who are less socially adjusted than the average.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Piratecat said:
Oh, sure. But so does sports and MMORPGs. Everyone has their obsessions, and I'm sure fantasy role playing is no exception. If you're miserable in real life, kicking butt in a fantasy world is kind of fun.

It's not mutually exclusive, though. Lots of RPG players have great social skills as well.

I agree that MMORPGs attract the less socially adept, on average. However, I have not found that to be the case with sports. For both playing sports and watching sports, in my experience those people on average tend to have better social skills than the average, not worse.

Grymar

Explorer
I know someone who uses it as a safe outlet for his aggressive emotions.

I know someone who uses it to improve his self image by playing a winner or a champion.

I know someone who uses it as a complex puzzle to challenge himself.

I know someone who uses it as a social outlet.

So yes, some do use it as escapism. But there are many other reasons too.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mistwell said:
I agree that MMORPGs attract the less socially adept, on average. However, I have not found that to be the case with sports. For both playing sports and watching sports, in my experience those people on average tend to have better social skills than the average, not worse.
I disagree with watching sports, but no biggy; this is all anecdotal, so it's not like we can back up our opinions with proof. One thing is for sure; sports involves a larger fanbase, providing sports fans with far greater "conversational currency" than RPG fans. It'll always be easier to discuss the ball game with a bunch of strangers than it is to discuss your character. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads