• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does "Fantasy Role Playing" attract people who have a hard time in reality?

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Oh, sure. But so does sports and MMORPGs. Everyone has their obsessions, and I'm sure fantasy role playing is no exception. If you're miserable in real life, kicking butt in a fantasy world is kind of fun.

It's not mutually exclusive, though. Lots of RPG players have great social skills as well.

Ditto. Couldn't of said it better.

Baron Opal

First Post
Yes, but I don't think the "fantasy" is truly part of it. It is a hobby that tends to tolerate people with unusual interests and mannerisms because it is composed of people who engage in unusual interests and mannerisms.

The Hound

Explorer
Thinking back, I'd say that when I have a really difficult time with the real world I tend to get moody and sort of anti social - and as a result spend LESS time gaming.

I've been playing RPGs for twelve years, and I've never had a problem with reality. Just the other day I mentioned this to the Magic Pink Pixie, the one that lives in my fridge, and he agreed that I was totally well-adjusted.

Remove ads