D&D 5E Does lightening bolt spell cause extra damage to sea creatures in water?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
"The 'kill zone' for fish is "probably not more than 30 yards away in fresh water, 10 yards in salt water, though good information is scarce[.]"

But as other have said, the bolt from a lightning bolt spell is not the same as natural lightning. For one, a natural lightening bolt has the diameter about the same as pencil (What happens to the fish when lightning strikes a lake?)

A pencil is 0.25 inches wide and a lightning bolt from the spell is 5 ft. wide, equal to the width of 240 natural lightning bolts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In real world physics the lightning would fail to penetrate very deeply and instead disapate across the surface (thats why fish dont die in every storm). A Hag swimming on the surface might get hit (10ft circle?) but diving under water would allow them to avoid damage.

Well, fish do die in lightning storms. But, the ocean is big, and there are a lot of fish in it, so we don't notice.

A full natural lightning bolt will spread when it hits the surface of salt water, and in the real world anything that's near the surface within a few tens of meters is going to have a bad day. Game lightning folks are probably smaller.

jasper

Rotten DM
I likee the double width of LB. How about? Double the range. Or Disadvantage. OR send $20 Amazon dollars to Jasper to get a Starbucks. Must have cough ee.

Weiley31

Legend
It's a moment like this where you ask yourself that very important question: To Rule of Cool or not to Rule of Cool.

Rule of Cool dictates that Lightning and Water don't mix very well ala the Trope of what usually happens when Lightning and Water get introduced to each other. As to whether the Hags see that coming a mile away, well that depends on whether or not the coven gets along with each other. If they are too busy arguing with each other about some "usual" petty squabble that they bicker about, then that's a distraction that could help out.

To me that would probably be the only part that is the questioning or what. I'm more leaning towards Rule of Cool with the Lightning/Water though.

I would definitely let it do something extra. Increased area and/or disadvantage to saves would work. This is the players engaging with the fiction, and trying to act smartly, and this is a good thing. 'It's magic, it just does what the rules say and nothing more' is a boring answer and makes the magic feel more gamey and less real.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I like the dis to saves and also the double width ideas, both of them make it more thematically cool and also a little extra.

But ... these hags aren't dumb and I'm sure they've thought about lightning or whatever. They're ancient magical creatures after all.

aco175

Legend
Depends on how far you want to go with modifying spells. Would a heat metal spell be negated if the target jumped into the water? What would happen to a fireball cast under water? I'm thinking that most all the elemental spells would be modified somewhat in other environments. You could just keep spells the same as the book under 'magic', or you allow the player to change them based on the situation.

I'm not sure which is better. I would want to reward clever players with something like the lightning in the water idea. I would also like to keep things simple and have only one way that things work. It may come down to the just the way the rules work and things like being able to knock prone a snake.

Remove ads