• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Does pathfinder strike anyone as too gamey?

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Well, the OP used "gamey" as a pejorative meaning "anti-simulation", so under than definition, I would have to agree that 4e is the most "gamey" version. Fortunately, I don't find "anti-simulation" to be pejorative at all.

Yeah, but it's your same-old-same-old, so, ya know, pinch of salt and all that.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah, but it's your same-old-same-old, so, ya know, pinch of salt and all that.
I literally can not figure out what you mean, although if you dislike something about my post or posting manner, I'd rather know the issue so I can address and/or rectify it.

Hussar

Legend
A bit OT, but then the whole stat thing is anyway - do you think AD&D paladins are underpowered?

Not so much underpowered as just hamstrung. They couldn't use many common tactics - no oil, no poison, their options could be, through the application of the DM, very, very seriously curtailed. The whole, "Must always be good" thing was a pretty strong limitation. Even a stronger limitation with Cavalier limitations added in. Although, to be fair, the Cavalier upped the paladin's power a whole pile.

Gamgee

First Post
Ultimately Pathfinder is a fun distraction, but I've moved beyond it into a greater world of RPG's. I don't think my players realize how lucky they are with my fast collection of RPG's to pick and choose from.

N'raac

First Post
I think a lot of issues with Paladins are more issues with "my GM will force Good to be stupidly ineffectual" than a knock against the Paladin class itself. When we started playing D&D, weren't looking to play hard-bitten, cynical mercenaries, but Heroes, so a lot of the "drawbacks" of the Paladin were shared by the group as a whole. The DM also had a plotline and a world build, not just "kick in the door, kill the monsters and take their loot".

If the DM punishes heroic characters, characters won't be heroic. That's not really a difficult concept, at least to me. Anyway, well off topic.

Starfox

Hero
I don't think my players realize how lucky they are with my fast collection of RPG's to pick and choose from.

I find players are a lot more conservative than GMs when it comes to new games; they might not thank you if you change system, especially not if you do it often.

Remove ads