D&D 5E Does Prestidigitation Break the Law of Conservation of Energy?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Simple question, but the consequences are a bit strange.

If you use Prestidigitation to clean an object . . . what happens to the "dirtiness" on it? Is it just magically destroyed? Is it teleported somewhere else? Is it somehow melded into the object you clean?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, I suppose I've allowed some level of modernity to have swept into Faerun with this player's character prose.
I'm not averse to what has now become canon in the setting. The printing press and academies are around. Unbeknownst to him - what helps is that I acquired Arcana of the Ancients some time back and have wanted a way to incorporate it. His character is perfect for this Numenera addition.
Faerun does have printing presses, for what it is worth.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The "published papers" form found in modern academia, to me, doesn't normally fit with the low-ish tech of D&D pseudo- Medieval fantasy. As in, published papers require a publishing industry, and subscriptions to those publications. The first academic journal in our world was published in the mid-17th century.
On the other hand, we know that Paracelsus read Al Jabir and his contemporary.

Review is possible without journals, it just becomes generational, rather than a matter of months and years. In a place like FR, there are newspapers, and fast magical communication, so I’d say it’s fair to assume a system similar to early academic journal based peer review.

In Eberron, we can and should assume a well developed system of peer review across Khorvaire, between the various universities and libraries, and a sadly separate system amongst The Twelve.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On the other hand, we know that Paracelsus read Al Jabir and his contemporary.

Review is possible without journals, it just becomes generational, rather than a matter of months and years. In a place like FR, there are newspapers, and fast magical communication, so I’d say it’s fair to assume a system similar to early academic journal based peer review.

In Eberron, we can and should assume a well developed system of peer review across Khorvaire, between the various universities and libraries, and a sadly separate system amongst The Twelve.
Yeah, Eberron has international newspapers and modern Universities. It's very Modern.

Forgotten Realms is probably going to vary more from table to table, depending on how anachronistic a given DM want's to make it. Greenwood probably would have rolled with whatever his players wanted to do. Candlekeep feels way more Medieval than Modern on that front, at least.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, Eberron has international newspapers and modern Universities. It's very Modern.

Forgotten Realms is probably going to vary more from table to table, depending on how anachronistic a given DM want's to make it. Greenwood probably would have rolled with whatever his players wanted to do. Candlekeep feels way more Medieval than Modern on that front, at least.
One thing I’ve come to appreciate about Faerun is it’s “messy” nature, wrt what time period and culture is being referenced.

IMO, the sometimes negative response to that aspect of the setting is a case of the Tiffany Problem. Sometimes what is historically accurate feels anachronistic, and audiences balk at, for instance, a Medieval English serf traveling to a pilgrimage site, or being relatively clean, or fairly well fed.

Exactly because Candlekeep is so very medieval monastic, while Waterdeep has newspapers. The “development level” of the world has never been flat, in any era, and I appreciate when it isn’t in a fantasy setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One thing I’ve come to appreciate about Faerun is it’s “messy” nature, wrt what time period and culture is being referenced.

IMO, the sometimes negative response to that aspect of the setting is a case of the Tiffany Problem. Sometimes what is historically accurate feels anachronistic, and audiences balk at, for instance, a Medieval English serf traveling to a pilgrimage site, or being relatively clean, or fairly well fed.

Exactly because Candlekeep is so very medieval monastic, while Waterdeep has newspapers. The “development level” of the world has never been flat, in any era, and I appreciate when it isn’t in a fantasy setting.
I think that is a major part of the "secret sauce" for what makes the FR so perennially popular: you can basically do anything with it, a generic Fantasy LEGO Setting of parts and possibilities.

Remove ads