D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It’s the scope. In combat they are limited. Out of combat they never run out.

Like has already been said. All spells require and action, reaction or bonus action to cast. IF you don’t get actions out of combat you can’t cast any spells out of combat. Is that really what you believe?

What I believe is it's a meaningless term out of combat. No DM asks you to spend an action, and no player need say they are spending an action, out of combat (or I should say out of combat or those rare situations where fast action is relevant).

But you know darn well it's a very limited resource for a large portion of this game. What even is your point in arguing it's not? I mean, NOTHING in the game is a limited resource if we cannot even talk about actions being a limited resource. Why would you view spell slots as a limited resource in that context? You get as many spell slots as you want, if days are not an issue, right? Much like you get as many actions as you want, if rounds are not an issue. Where are you going with this argument that actions are not a limited resource?

Mistwell

Healing? It will damage you!

If you try to sit inside that extradimensional space for a full hour, would say it causes 6d6 bludgeoning damage for the 60 ft fall you take when it inevitably ends before your full hour for the short rest is up. If you and your friends then relax right on the spot where you fell, and stay there for somewhere close to a minute, then I'd rule that you took a short rest and you can take your hit dice. :)

I'm pretty strict when it comes to these kinds of tricks. You need 1 hour rest, and the spell is exactly 1 hour, but inside the spell's 1 hour duration, the rope climbs up, the space is created, and you and your friends must climb up and optionally pull up the rope. That leaves less than 1 hour for resting.

As pointed out repeatedly earlier, 1) the spell does not require a 60' rope, it simply allows UP TO a 60' rope and you can have a 3' rope with this spell if you want; 2) a short rest is only interupted by strenuous activity and entering a space though a very short rope, or exiting it, is less strenuous than the already allowed activity example of tending to wounds. The intent of this spell is in fact to allow for a short rest. If you're not allowing it, particularly for the reasons you gave, it's a house rule which isn't within the rules as written or the rules as intended.

Mistwell

Which playtest was that? Because every version of the playtest I checked (and I checked seven, from the August 2012 packet when it first appeared to the September 2013 packet that ended the playtest) and it was an hour in each.
You may be misremembering the duration of rope trick...

My recollection is that it was always 1 hour as well. However, the earlier versions said 50', and also said it MUST be at least 50', "Requirement: You must have alength of rope no less than 50 feet long to cast this spell. Effect: You create an invisible entrance within 50 feet of you that leads to an extradimensional space." The final version however changes this language to, "You touch a length of rope that is up to 60 feet long." Which makes it clear the rope does not need to be 60 feet long, as they originally were going to require a full length rope and appear to have changed their minds.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Does casting the Rope Trick spell heal/restore? No its does not. What you do after the spell is cast can restore/heal.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But you don't look at adventuring day for actions because you get ZERO actions in an adventuring day but-for "combat and other fast-paced situations."

Actions are only assigned to a PC (one per six second round, baring something like action surge) when it is "combat and other fast-paced situations" and otherwise they are not assigned and you just do things without needing to talk about using an action.

So you really are arguing that a wizard can't cast an spell with a casting time of an action outside of combat. I also love how you have now added "and other fast-paced situations," but adding that in doesn't help you. If a wizard just standing around bored as can be wants to cast a fireball with a 1 action casting time, can he cast it? If you say yes, then every six seconds you get an action with the same definition as in combat. If you say no, then I'm really not sure what to else to say.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What I believe is it's a meaningless term out of combat. No DM asks you to spend an action, and no player need say they are spending an action, out of combat (or I should say out of combat or those rare situations where fast action is relevant).

Right. It's not asked, because outside of combat, actions are an unlimited resource and it's everyone knows that you had one during that 6 second period.

But you know darn well it's a very limited resource for a large portion of this game. What even is your point in arguing it's not? I mean, NOTHING in the game is a limited resource if we cannot even talk about actions being a limited resource. Why would you view spell slots as a limited resource in that context? You get as many spell slots as you want, if days are not an issue, right? Much like you get as many actions as you want, if rounds are not an issue. Where are you going with this argument that actions are not a limited resource?

It's limited per round, sure. We aren't talking about casting more than once per round, though, but rather over and over again, even 6 seconds for a day or more. So in the context of this discussion there is no limit.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As pointed out repeatedly earlier, 1) the spell does not require a 60' rope, it simply allows UP TO a 60' rope and you can have a 3' rope with this spell if you want; 2) a short rest is only interupted by strenuous activity and entering a space though a very short rope, or exiting it, is less strenuous than the already allowed activity example of tending to wounds. The intent of this spell is in fact to allow for a short rest. If you're not allowing it, particularly for the reasons you gave, it's a house rule which isn't within the rules as written or the rules as intended.

The bolded part is wrong. It doesn't take strenuous activity to break a short rest. Any average activity or greater will break it. All you can do are very, very light activities like eating, drinking, sleeping, tending wounds and such.

Mistwell

So you really are arguing that a wizard can't cast an spell with a casting time of an action outside of combat.

No Max, I am not arguing that at all. See if you can figure out how I am not arguing that.

I also love how you have now added "and other fast-paced situations,"

I didn't add it. I was quoting the rule, same as I quoted earlier, with that same phrase.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No Max, I am not arguing that at all. See if you can figure out how I am not arguing that.

Spellcasting requires actions, reactions and bonus actions as defined in the combat section. Either you get those three types of actions outside of combat and other "fast paced situations," or you can't cast spells during leisure time without using a ritual.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
@Mistwell, the rule you quote doesn't even say what you think it does. It says that in combat and other fast-paced situations, the rules RELY on rounds, not that rounds don't happen outside of those circumstances. The game just doesn't RELY on them outside of those circumstances.

Edit: Apparently he couldn't handle the truth and blocked me. His loss.

Remove ads