• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Such an Ability Exist in the Official Rulebooks?

Oversquid

First Post
Is there an ability, be it a feat, or a spell, or whatever it is that allows you to, during Item Creation, substitute a certain type of damage like Fire into another kind of damage like Sonic damage?

I'm asking this because I'm looking at the Blast Disk in the Heroes Of Battle Sourcebook, and I want to substitute the Fire damage it does into Sonic damage.

Also, the DM I'm playing with won't allow it unless its from an official sourcebook.

Also, Sonic Damage pierces through Object Hardness, right?

Also, I won't make potions of Fireball, because Fireball only specifically targets creatures, and so this means that objects won't be affected.

Thanks guys!

The feat Energy Substitution (Sonic) would be your best bet. It's in Complete Arcane.

IIRC Sonic doesn't ignore hardness. It's just that you don't reduce the damage before applying hardness. Things like fire and electricity have their damaged halved before applying hardness. Acid and sonic do not.

IIRC the 3.5 version of Energy Substitution doesn't allow for sonic.

You are correct good sir!

An archmage with elemental mastery could do it.

Also, in 3.0 you could use energy substitution for sonic.
[MENTION=6684394]Oversquid[/MENTION] it never hurts to ask your DM if you can use the feat for sonic damage. Worse case scenario, the DM says no.

Oversquid

First Post
You are correct good sir!

An archmage with elemental mastery could do it.

Also, in 3.0 you could use energy substitution for sonic.

@Oversquid it never hurts to ask your DM if you can use the feat for sonic damage. Worse case scenario, the DM says no.
Thanks, though I have another question.

When it comes to Wands, can you store a metamagic effect in addition to its normal effect at a higher price?

Aaron L

Hero
As long as the metamagic level increase doesn't make the spell higher level than can fit in a wand, you can apply any metamagic effect you want.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Yes, you could create a wand of maximized magic missile. It would cost the same as a 4th-level wand. Or you could make a wand of empowered scorching ray. It would also cost the same as a 4th-level wand. You could make a wand of extended mage armor. It would cost the same as a 2nd-level wand. Basically so long as you don't go over level 4, you can do it.

Empirate

First Post
What's a bit problematic to rule are metamagic cost reducers, though. So Practical Metamagic, Metamagic School Focus, Easy Metamagic, high-level Incantatrix, Circle Magic... all pose a bit of a problem for item pricing. Ask your DM, or if you're the DM, err on the side of caution and don't allow metamagic cost reducers to apply when crafting items.

Dice4Hire

First Post
What's a bit problematic to rule are metamagic cost reducers, though. So Practical Metamagic, Metamagic School Focus, Easy Metamagic, high-level Incantatrix, Circle Magic... all pose a bit of a problem for item pricing. Ask your DM, or if you're the DM, err on the side of caution and don't allow metamagic cost reducers to apply when crafting items.

I agree.

Greenfield

Adventurer
One reason Sonic was taken off the list was because there are essentially no creatures with Sonic damage resistance. It was the avenue of choice for substitution.

If you look, most Sonic damage spells roll damage dice that are one size smaller than other comparable level spells. D4s instead of D6s most of the time.

So if you're looking for that conversion, and want your DM to approve it, make that damage reduction part of the offer. Your odds of approval will go up sharply.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads