• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the Fireball spell expand in a narrow corridor?

Hawkeye

First Post
My old group was pretty math savvy. We would always have a programmed calculator nearby to figure out fireball volume. The DM even caught in a room that was the exact volume of an expanding fireball. The BBG was standing on a ledge in about a 2 foot niche raining fireballs down on them. I stopped him with a wall of force from my handy dandy wand of force. His next fireball exploded in his face, filling the niche completely and the DM rolled very high on the damage. Since he was trapped no save. The bad guy baked himself to death.

I do kind of miss that, but I can understand the new version helping to simplify things.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye said:
My old group was pretty math savvy. We would always have a programmed calculator nearby to figure out fireball volume.

Were you always in rooms that were perfectly smooth?

It would seem that the volume of sections of natural stone caverns would be impossible to work out on the fly ...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Don't forget that you also need to calculate the volume of every creature caught within the area of the fireball, and then add their total volume to the volume that the fireball expands to fill. (After all, creatures take up space, and the fireball can't fill that space, so it would expand that much more...) :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Caliban said:
Don't forget that you also need to calculate the volume of every creature caught within the area of the fireball, and then add their total volume to the volume that the fireball expands to fill. (After all, creatures take up space, and the fireball can't fill that space, so it would expand that much more...) :)
Using big, bad, evil guys to increse the volume of your fireball while toasting them at the same time - priceless :D

Caliban

Rules Monkey
shilsen said:
Using big, bad, evil guys to increse the volume of your fireball while toasting them at the same time - priceless :D

Or if you're the DM, and your players forget to account for the size of the bad guys when they drop the fireball...

Credit goes to KODT for that one. :mad:

ZuulMoG

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
The problem, of course, is that the old method of fireball was never, ever ruled consistantly.

After all, how many DMs actually know the water volume of their dungeons, let alone are able to calculate spherical volumes in such on the fly?
People who can't do simple math like that shouldn't be playing D&D, they might get a paper cut on the books or something...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
ZuulMoG said:
People who can't do simple math like that shouldn't be playing D&D, they might get a paper cut on the books or something...

Hmm... as an insult, that only rates a 2.5. Math abilities have nothing to do with the likelyhood of getting a papercut. Irrelevent insults lack a certain impact. Next time try to have it make sense, and you might be able to offend somone who cares. :)

Snowy

Explorer
I read that last night and assumed he was being sarcastic......

Wish I still hope he is, its either sarcasm :D , ignorance, or hes a genius.

Though I did have to do displacment theory for one of my exams last year, I've got a handy book of tables for calculating segments of most regular and irregular commonly occurign shapes, its only about 50 pages ;), maybe I shoudl try playing OD&D sometime.

Remove ads