WOIN Does the hardy skill apply to the Vital Defence?

kingpin000

Explorer
Hi there,
recently I created a new character for a new player and this one has "hardy 3". Like the book suggests, I applied it to the Health pool but now I am considering to apply it also to the Vital Defence. Would this work or would the skill become to powerful?

kingpin000

Explorer
My initial thought about the "hardy skill" was that you endured extreme conditions without becoming sick to increase this skill. In real life there are people who train to swim in ice cold water and after some time they don't even freeze anymore.

BlckKnght

Explorer
The official skills that boosts VITAL DEFENSE (according to N.E.W. 1.2) are fortitude and resistance. The upcoming 1.2 edition of O.L.D. and the released version of N.O.W. add survival. Making hardy do it too would make those other skills pretty much obsolete, since hardy also gives hit points. The hardy skill is already one of best in the game, and probably among the best things you can spend your first 3 xp on (if you don't start with any ranks in it already).

kingpin000

Explorer
Good point.

I think there are three main problems with the skills in general:
1. There is no fixed skill list.
2. You can create your own skills no matter how narrow or broad they are.
3. You can call your skills, what ever you want.

This means that hardy, fortitude and resistance are just interchangeable terms for the ability to be trained to endure extreme conditions, while survival (in most games) covers your knowlegde to find food, water and shelter in the wild.

Maybe the solution in my game, would be to allow extra Health with fortitude and resistance, too or drop these skills completely out of the game.

dekrass

Explorer
I allow hardy, fortitude, resistance, and any skills made up by players that make sense to add to Health or Vital Defense. The player chooses which one when they take the skill.

I see all 3 things on your list as strengths of the system. Just a matter of preference, I suppose.

Evil_DM

Chris
Good point.

I think there are three main problems with the skills in general:
1. There is no fixed skill list.
2. You can create your own skills no matter how narrow or broad they are.
3. You can call your skills, what ever you want.

This means that hardy, fortitude and resistance are just interchangeable terms for the ability to be trained to endure extreme conditions, while survival (in most games) covers your knowlegde to find food, water and shelter in the wild.

Maybe the solution in my game, would be to allow extra Health with fortitude and resistance, too or drop these skills completely out of the game.
We, as a player group, agree with you. So, we've taken the time to create a fixed list of skills. Also, any skill either gives a fixed bonus (to HEALTH, MOVE or a certain DEFENCE, ór it is used in skill-checks. Not both.

Survival is a great example, and so was acrobatics. We use dodging for DEFENSE, and acrobatics for tightrope walking and falling. Acrobatics does not do both. This prevents some skills from being overly powerful or a must-take.

Remove ads