Does the swordmage marking power suck?

Nifelhein

First Post
They are interrupt because it interrupts the action, take place and then things continue, the only reason for the action that triggered not to continue would be if it became impossible to do so.

Rules quote below:
Interrupt: An immediate interrupt lets you jump
in when a certain trigger condition arises, acting
before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates
a triggering action, that action is lost. For example,
an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you
use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate
interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the
enemy’s attack action is lost.

Page 268 PHB

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Really? Please point out to where this
I'm happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Interrupts are one of the best action types of all time.

OF ALL TIME.
is written, because my knowledge of the english language maybe be getting in the way -- which may be debated, being a 'merkin and all). As far as I can recollect, an interruption stops a person from doing (or saying) something. If an immediate interrupt doesnt actually, well interrupt ... then they should call it something else. Perhaps an Immediate Interject.
You have the page number now, but here's the updated rules text in the Compendium:

Compendium said:
Interrupt: An immediate interrupt lets you jump in when a certain trigger condition arises, acting before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost. For example, an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the enemy’s attack action is lost.
As you can see, it's the same as the original.

Cheers, -- N

What Obryn said. Swordmage is my favorite class, hands-down.

Good thing nobody cares and it's even better that it's irrelevant to the subject.

On Subject:

They are the best for taking ranged hits and the most viable vs Solo/Elite ENEMIES, because of the way the mark works. Very situational. Every tank is like a dog, they all have their days.

Perhaps the most fun encounter I ever played was when I was playing a water genasi assault swordmage. We were returning to a halfling boat village (lots of small house boats connected with rope bridges, on a lake) when a blue dragon we had pissed off swooped in with some giant bat buddies to attack us.

Repeatedly I marked the bats, in an attempt to discourage them from hitting our wizard and rogue who were shooting at the dragon. But then the dragon started zapping me, and I realized I needed cover.

The DM reminded me I couldn't teleport without line of effect, so I couldn't run inside any of the house boats. But I figured hey, I'm a water genasi, how about I hide in the water?

So then every round I would attack something, then jump into the water. My marked opponents would inevitably go attack someone else, and I would then teleport out of the water, back on solid ground. With mark of storms and lightning-based attacks I could hit my opponents and slide them away from me, so I could then jump back in the water without provoking OAs.

Finally, once the bats were dead, everyone took cover indoors, so the dragon landed to chase us, at which point everyone jumped out of hiding and dogpiled the thing.

Except me. I hid in the water, and every round when it attacked someone, I'd teleport up to it, whack it, then fall back into the safety of the water.

mneme

Explorer
Ooh. Using a Water Gensai's swim ability to deny enemies the ability to attack you and then slam them when they violate your mark = awesome (though now that you mention it, and even more awesome thing to do would be to do the same trick to non-Aquatic enemies as an Ensnaring swordmage, and encounters that put non-aquatic enemies near bodies of water are more or less asking for this kind of trick).

That said, a minor point is that you need line of sight, not LOE for teleports--so if the houseboats had windows, you could totally have run inside them and then teleported out. But I'm guessing they didn't.

Remove ads