D&D General Does you campaign setting match where you live?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
No. While I do have plans of creating a Weird West setting, that is set on actual 19th Earth with possible encounters with Wyatt Earp, Nikola Tesla or Marie Laveau, so in that one case, yes. But in every other publication or personal game, I create worlds of fiction. In fact right now am working on an interstellar setting of potentially 47 star systems and 200+ individual planets of every variety. So most of the time, no.

I live in New England (don't like the weather wait a few minutes it will change) but I often describe weather patterns similar to ours (Harsh winters mild summers with storms)

Nope. I live in the desert. Most of my campaigns are on the Sword Coast or other Euro-typical forested regions with plenty of water. About the only thing I can think of that I forget to adjust for is snow in the winters. I never mention it and weather rarely impacts play.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I grew up in Indiana and I now live in Massachusetts. But since 1995 or so all of my campaigns have been set in either deserts, space, deserts in space, or primordial ice-age jungles.

So no correlation here really.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I don't really have a default climate for my games, but different types of stories tend to work better or be more common in certain environments, so the types of stories I'm planning to tell during a particular campaign tend to heavily influence the general environment of the world I set them in.

I suppose, for the majority of the games I've run, the climate of the setting has sort of been analogous to Europe - majority temperate climates but with various outlying extremes that may or may not be within easy travel.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Always when we play Gamma World :)

Otherwise my campaigns tend to be globetrotting so I guess I'll say sometimes?

Now that I think about it though I do tend to lean towards building areas based on where I've lived, but since I've lived in the desert, the mountains, the great plains, and the midwest there are a lot of different climates covered - I guess that might be why we don't do jungle games as often, and I probably end up describing it more like forest or swamp if I ask my players about it...

As a Londoner, no. Unless I'm playing Planescape, ironically. In which case Sigil will probably be a bit London-y, but it kind of always was.

And the settings I run rarely resemble Britain, either. Not never, but it's certainly not the norm. Far more extreme weather is common in stuff I run, serious mountains, really huge rivers, deserts - all common in D&D settings I run, all very much not present in the UK!

Voadam

Legend
I grew up in Massachusetts and I noticed when I was running the forest/jungle continent setting of Wildwood in the Oathbound setting I would default to my images of walking around in the woods I was used to, hearing the rustle of squirrels making huge rackets as they raced around, occasionally catching sights of raccoons at night (or during the day during the 80s rabies surge). This would enter the game in my descriptions alongside things like green lions or magical insect monster encounters and then for specific exoticism I would throw in things like bamboo groves. Of course raccoons are native to North America only so selection of background detail animals used can give a specific geographic flavor either consciously or unconsciously.

I remember being surprised when somebody from Australia mentioned having never actually seen a squirrel in person.

Remove ads