D&D 5E Domain of Dread: Grognardia

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
It's nice to know this thread has basically been carte blanche for some to take pot shots at fans of older editions.

I get it. I got it the first three times It's still not funny to insult people who don't share your preference. Hiding behind a joke makes it less funny when you keep repeating it.

Potshots? I love the older editions! I grew up playing goldbox games and reading the BECMI 'blue box' and love the idea of a '1st-edition' area and enjoy the 'meta' dialogue across the editions. If you look at the old Dragon magazines they are full of cartoons lampooning aspects of the game, silly character classes like the jock, jester, and professor, and so on. Look back through the 1e corebooks...you have a gag about talking to giant lynxes, a heavily armored warrior jumping into a wizard's arms to save him from the rust monster, leprechauns stealing the 'leucrotta' heading from the corner of the page of the Monster Manual, a party attacking a giant snake with a giant Y-shaped piece of wood to pin it to the wall, and a typical party playing an RPG about the real world. Ironic joking about the rules and tropes is actually very 'old-school'... D&D only started to take itself seriously in the mid-80s.

Last edited:

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
OMG I am so offended by these posts. Ok not really. But imagine.... a post called Domain of Dread: Snowflakeland. Would we have this same reaction by people or mods?

Cue up jokes about the new generation being overly-sensative and offended at the slightest thing. Add in people playing the same furry PCs, always the anti-hero, upset at not using the right pronouns or other perceived slights that were not meant to be offensive....

There we go! Of course, this post was a joke. Get the humor?

When someone fights the Snowflake Dragon, sometimes they become the Snowflake Dragon....

Ok back to the serious topics in this thread.

OMG I am so offended by these posts. Ok not really. But imagine.... a post called Domain of Dread: Snowflakeland. Would we have this same reaction by people or mods?

Cue up jokes about the new generation being overly-sensative and offended at the slightest thing. Add in people playing the same furry PCs, always the anti-hero, upset at not using the right pronouns or other perceived slights that were not meant to be offensive....

There we go! Of course, this post was a joke. Get the humor?

When someone fights the Snowflake Dragon, sometimes they become the Snowflake Dragon....

Ok back to the serious topics in this thread.
I bet mods would delete such a thread because "uninclusive content".

Imagine if we had a thread for making fun of Critical Role generation and their awesome theatrics and Oscar winning voice acting.
With things like this?

I mean, what does “Critical Role Generation” or “OSR generation” really even mean? One can be a fan of both and poke fun of both - and, hence, poke fun of themselves in the process.

Remove ads