• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domains for Druids--thoughts? (repost)

RavenSinger

First Post
I posted this info in Sammael99's thread "Restricted Spell Lists for Clerics." And realized if I wanted any feedback, I should get my own blessed thread!:D

This is what I have come up with. I was/am concerned this might power up the class too much, so I put in the restrictions. If you have any comments, I'd love to hear them.

Something that I have implemented for Druids in my campaign is allowing them to take a domain if they wish based on an aspect of Nature that they revere. In my campaign there are three aspects/God(desse)s based somewhat on alignment:

Ged (LN)--God of Creation and the Cycle of Nature, Protector of the Natural Law. Domains--Animal, Plant, Law, Healing, Creation

Marat ( True Neutral)--Keeper of the Elements, Maker of the World. Domains--Air, Earth, Fire, Water

Sekonet (CN)--Goddess of the Storm and Earthquake, Queen of Death--Animal, Plant, Chaos, Death, Destruction

Should a druid chose to focus on one of these aspects, she may choose one domain of their particular deity (as a cleric). She also receives a +1 caster level on all spells of the domain type. However, she then cannot cast any spell of the opposing type.

The Opposing Domains are as follows:
Animal--Plant
Law--Chaos
Healing--Death
Creation--Destruction
Air--Earth
Fire--Water

It's pretty straight forward. The reason for the change is that in the campaign, Druids are essentially the Elven clerics. And as such, are somewhat sectarian in their views of how Nature works. I thought access to domains might help to reflect that.

--RavenSinger

~Joseph~

First Post
I think i'd be a good idea, to keep them from being over powered, reduce their spells per day by 1 per level and have it like the clerics spells per day where, I don't have the actual numbers but for example, instead 3 lvl 1 spells per day make it 2+1 spells per day where +1 is a domain spell
One problem may be the domain albilities, they may be unbalancing, but probly not.
I don't really think that you should have opposing domains, especially domains from the same god. Another problem with it is, if I take the plant domain the animal domain is opposed, so what happens to all my animal related spells? That's atleast 2/3rds of their spell list. Or even the druids animal based abilities like wild shape and animal compainion? If a druid can't caste a spell to turn into an animal then why should they have the ability to do so.
Other than that I think it's a pretty good idea

Crothian

First Post
Some of your domain balances are a little off. They make sense as they are opposites, but some of those domains have few spells on the Druids spell list. So, they really aren't giving up much. And having animal and plant as opposites really hurts a druid who takes either of those. The spells on those domains are some of the most useful for a Druid.

Overall, I like giving Druids Domains. I don't think you really need to balance it out much. Taking away a spell of each Druids spell level to become a Domain spell is enough. Domain powers aren't that strong, and the few extra spells is nice.

RavenSinger

First Post
Thank you Joseph and Crothian,

It looks like the solution is to combine your suggestions of reducing the spells per day by one and then adding the domain spell, and throwing out the opposing domains idea.

I definately appreciate your input. It's hard when you are a first time DM, and you are not sure whether an idea is going to throw balance out the window.:)

--RavenSinger

Crothian

First Post
Best way is to try it in a game. Explain to the PC what you are trying and see how well it works. THen after a few sessions using these rules ask the PC how he thinks it's going and compare that to what your opinion is. Make changes as neccissary. Good luck with this, it looks like it should work well.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I give druids in my game one free domain and granted power. Choose from: air, animal, cavern, destruction, earth, fire, plant, travel, water... or anything else appropriate to an aspect of nature, such as lust, plague, wolf, etc.

I also change their weapon list to remove scimitar and put in bows (not crossbows). Scimitars are metal and bows are wood, for crying out loud! It only makes sense. How else is druid supposed to hunt in the woods? Sneak up on the deer and smack 'em with his scimitar? LOL

Remove ads