• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

mamba

Legend
I didn't claim anything. Are you sure you understood my post?
in that post you might not have claimed anything, but through several posts you have basically kept claiming

'Hasbro totally missed the boat on the OGL when it was stealthily released behind their backs, and now that they became aware of it, they obviously want to revoke it. Anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen that coming and should have prepared for it. If you did not, then you are just bad at business and should not complain.'

That (or rather the first part of it) is what I was referring to here

I would add though that they were coming from the position of being the injured party. They bought a company, then had a subsidiary push out an agreement i.e. the OGL that they perceived as hurting them. [...] they did not pay attention to what was happening within their own enterprise, and poof! here is this thing that gave away their IP
I would hope that 3rd party companies would have enough business sense and fortitude to weather a request like that on their own, without the 'help' of the general public. If they would have folded otherwise, I would suggest that they didn't have enough knowledge to run a business to stay afloat regardless.

No, they haven't! Frankly, I don't think you have.
thanks for confirming my suspicion. So you flat out say anyone who disagrees with you did not actually look into it and is just plain wrong. Guess we can end it here

You are literally doing the thing I was talking about in the post you responded to.
no, I merely come to a different conclusion based on facts you do not even want to acknowledge

Last edited:

in that post you might not have claimed anything, but through several posts you have basically kept claiming

'Hasbro totally missed the boat on the OGL when it was stealthily released behind their backs, and now that they became aware of it, they obviously want to revoke it. Anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen that coming and should have prepared for it. If you did not, then you are just bad at business and should not complain.'

That (or rather the first part of it) is what I was referring to here

thanks for confirming my suspicion. So you flat out say anyone who disagrees with you did not actually look into it and is just plain wrong. Guess we can end it here

no, I merely come to a different conclusion based on facts you do not even want to acknowledge
If you take a more polite tone, I'll respond to you. I have no interest in responding to a post that confirms your suspicions or if you want to wholesale manufacture quotes then attribute them to me. I don't feel like anything productive is going to come out of continuing a discussion with someone who's coming in with those sorts of tactics.

I'm happy to have a discussion with you on this topic. But not when you're coming in hot under the collar like this. Not worth my time. I'm not judging you, or holding anything against you. Heat of the moment, I get it.

But do better, or this particular discussion ends here.

mamba

Legend
I have no interest in responding to a post that confirms your suspicions or if you want to wholesale manufacture quotes then attribute them to me.
sorry, what? You did agreed with what I suspected, how is that not correctly described as 'confirming', and the quotes are literally from you... I shortened one, as indicated by [...] but it did not remove context, just irrelevant fluff

I don't feel like anything productive is going to come out of continuing a discussion with someone who's coming in with those sorts of tactics.
I agree that there is no point continuing this discussion with you....

What plan could account for the OGL debacle? Specifically, what should 3pps have done?
The first thing they should have done is realise that they created businesses that were 100% dependent on the existence and good will of a singular other business. When you are in that situation, real life will happen, and you are at heavy risk of having something catastrophic happen to you, and those that depend on you. What you have going for you is that you are providing a product and maybe a service to customers who appreciate your take on RPGs. Is there something you can add to your business to make it independent of the mothership you are started out, riskily, depending on?

I agree that there is no point continuing this discussion with you....
That's cool. I honestly have no hard feelings about this conversation. You've had good points in posts I've read in the past. I'll be more than happy to have more discussions with you in the future.

In case it wasn't clear, the quote you manufactured was this one:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The first thing they should have done is realise that they created businesses that were 100% dependent on the existence and good will of a singular other business. When you are in that situation, real life will happen, and you are at heavy risk of having something catastrophic happen to you, and those that depend on you. What you have going for you is that you are providing a product and maybe a service to customers who appreciate your take on RPGs. Is there something you can add to your business to make it independent of the mothership you are started out, riskily, depending on?
So companies that make their content based on the OGL just shouldn't exist, and doing so makes you an irresponsible business who is not taking care of their employees? I'm very glad so many content creators don't agree with you then.

mamba

Legend
That's cool. I honestly have no hard feelings about this conversation. You've had good points in posts I've read in the past. I'll be more than happy to have more discussions with you in the future.
no hard feelings here either, we simply disagree

Contrary to what you believe I am not emotionally invested in it ;)

In case it wasn't clear, the quote you manufactured was this one:

that ‘quote’ was not intended to be a quote, otherwise I would have properly quoted you, but it was intended as a summary of statements you made.

I then quoted examples of your posts that basically say the same. I’d be curious to know where you think what I did quote from you differs from my paraphrasing of your position

Last edited:

So companies that make their content based on the OGL just shouldn't exist, and doing so makes you an irresponsible business who is not taking care of their employees? I'm very glad so many content creators don't agree with you then.
What are you talking about? That's like saying Jumbo Video and Blockbuster should never have existed! What I said, very literally, is that if you start up a business, and that business has a huge inherent risk i.e. being wholly dependent on another business's presence and goodwill, you better have a backup plan.

that ‘quote’ was not intended to be a quote, otherwise I would have properly quoted you, but it was intended as a summary of statements you made.

I then quoted examples of your posts that basically say the same. I’d be curious to know where you think what I did quote from you differs from my paraphrasing of your position
I understand. But when you write something, then attribute it to me, then put it in literal, actual quotes... you can see where that would rub me the wrong way I hope.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What are you talking about? That's like saying Jumbo Video and Blockbuster should never have existed! What I said, very literally, is that if you start up a business, and that business has a huge inherent risk i.e. being wholly dependent on another business's presence and goodwill, you better have a backup plan.
Were Jumbo Video and Blockbuster bad businesses in your estimation then, because someone might popularize a different way to view visual media? And a company reneging on a contract many parties, including they themselves, explicitly said couldn't be unilaterally dissolved is too big a risk without having something else to fall back upon to keep afloat?

Remove ads