Doom Striders

Jim Butler

Explorer
Doom Striders

by Sam Witt

On Sale Now at better hobby and game stores!

Catapults and ballistae are the weapons of yesterday's armies, impersonal tools of warfare that were imprecise and whose loyalties depended on the crews manning them. Doom Striders presents a new type of weapon designed for more heroic play styles and face-to-face encounters.

Whether you're looking for a weapon to throw at your opponents in the next mass combat encounter, or an effective offense against a dragon guarding its horde, you'll find something within the pages of Doom Striders.

At their heart, doom striders are magical constructs whose purposes are limited only by the imagination of their creators. Wizards and sorcerers craft them as weapons of war or as a safeguard to privacy; clerics can build them as monuments of faith and might; warriors might seek to lead one into the thickest of combats. The choice is yours...

Doom Striders Preview

Download the Preview (which includes the Table of Contents, Introduction, sample doom strider, blank strider sheets, and Index) by clicking below.

http://www.bastionpress.com/Downloads/Doom_Striders_Preview.pdf

What the Reviewers Say...

"Doom Striders offers 128 pages of arcane "warmech" stompin' action.

It's perfect bound, softcover, with a price of US $22.95. It has a grayscale interior, and, though I did not get to see it on my preview copy, a full color cover. The graphic design is superb, with lettering and everything enhancing the product. I love almost all of the artwork as well." Read the Review by Kithmaker at Mortality by clicking below.

http://tinyurl.com/22omv

"Doom Striders goes a long way in genre-crossing action, making the worlds of D&D and Battletech or Mechwarrior work within one another. It also combines many elements of the Steampunk genre into the mix. This would work well in Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms setting or with Fantasy Flight Game's Sorcery & Steam products. With its high end technology or even Renaissance magic system it would not sit well in a low-magic or early medieval period setting games. They could however become a method to bring change into those genres in much the same way that the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks brought powered armor and laser swords into 1st edition D&D, thus shaking up the norm of your game and allowing big change to infect the game." Read the Review by Bruce Boughner at the d20 Magazine Rack by clicking below.

http://tinyurl.com/2fyuy

ORDER DIRECT FROM BASTION PRESS

To support your favorite game publisher, visit our online store and order Doom Striders:

http://tinyurl.com/3gys2

FIND A LOCAL RETAILER

Don't know where to go in your town to find a copy? Check out our list of local retailers:

http://www.bastionpress.com/bastionstores.htm

Vrylakos

First Post
Hello THE Jim Butler!

Hm, the link tells me the pdf files is 'damaged and could not be repaired.'

Fix! Please!

Also, how well will airships and doomstriders interface? Coz... I use both in my game.

Vrylakos

Jim Butler

Explorer
Vrylakos said:
Hello THE Jim Butler!

Hm, the link tells me the pdf files is 'damaged and could not be repaired.'

Fix! Please!

Also, how well will airships and doomstriders interface? Coz... I use both in my game.

Vrylakos
Make sure you're using version 6 of Adobe REader (a free download at Adobe.com). I just downloaded the PDF and it came across fine...

You shouldn't have any problems using Airships and Doom Striders in your game (though they weren't written to work with each other; you won't find an Airships chapter, for instance).

Like all of our d20 supplements, Doom Striders is a standalone addition to your campaign. We try not to break any previous sourcebook rules, though. ;-)

Vrylakos

First Post
Ok, I'm the proud owner of Doom Striders.
Now, it seems a bit strange that the other Bastion book I love is Airships... big flying Airships.... YET Doom Striders that actually fly aren't covered in the DS book. Seems a pretty common staple of anime, which some people will pick up Doom Striders hoping to emulate it.

Any reason that true flight of some kind could not be added? Or is there something I'm missing?

Vrylakos

Jim Butler

Explorer
Vrylakos said:
Any reason that true flight of some kind could not be added? Or is there something I'm missing?
There's no particular reason we didn't cover it in Doom Striders, other than it would have taken up more space. As we already had Airships out there, it never really occurred to us to add flying rules. Doom Striders focuses more on the steampunk versions of powered armor, but you could always add a magical quality to the strider to allow it to fly (and then just refer to Airships for specific rules regarding aerial battles, etc.).

drnuncheon

Explorer
Sounds like we need Doomstriders II, with flying mecha, transforming mecha (a la Escaflowne), mecha bays (for use with Airships) and anything else you can fit in. ;)

J

MEG Hal

First Post
Vrylakos said:
Hello THE Jim Butler!

Vrylakos

He obviously has met me before ;)

DS is a great supplement and the art and Ed Bourelle's sheets in the back are a fantastic addition to this big book....
Congrats to all on this.*

*I did not have anything to do with the making of this book.

Dana_Jorgensen

Community Supporter
Banned
Jim Butler said:
Make sure you're using version 6 of Adobe REader (a free download at Adobe.com). I just downloaded the PDF and it came across fine...

You shouldn't have any problems using Airships and Doom Striders in your game (though they weren't written to work with each other; you won't find an Airships chapter, for instance).

Like all of our d20 supplements, Doom Striders is a standalone addition to your campaign. We try not to break any previous sourcebook rules, though. ;-)

Hmmm... Not good... I'd have to shell out $199 to upgrade my OS in order to run Acrobat Reader 6.

Creeping Death

First Post
Doom Striders vs NPC/PC

PC's are on the battlefield, on foot, fighting the enemy alongside the troops and a DoomStrider shows up.

How can the PC's deal with it? Take it down with magic? Board it and kill the crew? Attack it with their melee weapons? Use seige weapons or another DoomStrider? What are the rules for this?

Thanks,

drnuncheon

Explorer
The PCs facing the Doomstrider can basically treat it as a creature of the appropriate size, and do anything they'd want or be able to do to such a creature (well, with the exception of certain spells that won't work because it's essentially a construct). Because of the way they're set up, you'll be using the same d20 combat that you're used to.

J

Remove ads