• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doombrew v0.5

Doctor Doom

Explorer
posted this over on NTL, but you all might find something interesting in it, and feedback is always good.

well, here's all D20 3.5 stuff I've been working on. I feel pretty good about it, and my friends and I are starting a real campaign using this ruleset and not just playtesting. We'll see how it goes.

Doombrew v0.5

ok, this is only major changes. I've tweaked a lot here and there. a ton of small changes throughout the SRD stuff. I really felt that 3.5 moved too far towards being a tabletop wargame, so I tried to move back from that, and change some things that have bugged me since 3.0 came out.

races:
-dwarf loses racial weapon pro, attack/ac bonuses. gains stone, metal, gem craft bonus and cooking, brewing profession bonus
-elf gains craft, profession, perform bonus to create things of art
-added goblins as player race, altered from MM stats
-haflings favored class now druid
-added orc as player race and removed half-orc, altered from MM stats

classes:
-no skill lists. Characters gain skill points based on class and can buy ranks in any non-class exclusive skill
-heavily modified barbarian variant
-heavily modified bard. bardic ability now expanded to include dancing, singing, musical instruments
-heavily modified paladin, class renamed to champion. Can now be paladin of good, blackguard of evil, reaver of chaos, and cavalier of law and special abilities depend on champion type.
-clerics slightly modified
-added commoner as a player class, and general class for NPCs to replace NPC classes
-slightly modified druid. may use any weapon, armor made of natural material with no penalty, and gains craft bonus to create natural items.
-slightly modified fighter. gains intimidation, appraise arms/armor, and assess combat ability powers
-monk slightlky modified to work with new armor DR system. Monk unarmed attacks are not considered light weapons for purposes of disarm, sunder and does not need to move to initiate bullrush at 9th level
-slightly modified ranger, gains favored terrain and bonsu to create simple, natural traps
-slightly modified rogue. sneak attack can now be used as lower powered assassins death attack to render creatures unconcious. gain trapfinding ability (pass within 5', automatic search similar to elven secret door ability). gains special abilities sooner
-heavily modified sorcerer. Lose familiar. Now chooses draconic, fey, celestial, or infernal bloodline and these grant powers every 5 levels. Sorcs can choose to cast any spell in the game.
-slightly modified wizard. Wizards can learn any spell in the game.

skills:
-no class/cross class skills. all skill ranks cost 1 rank.
-redone craft skill
-diplomacy skill from Rich Burlow (www.giantitp.com)
-knowledge skill from Amber E. Scott (www.giantitp.com)
-listen/spot merged into 'perception' skill
-hide/move silently merged into 'stealth' skill

feats:
-metamagic feats can be used anytime by spending full round action, taking non-lethal damage, and making concentration check
-feats divided into 'combat', 'general', and 'magic'
-a ton of new feats
-bunch of feats slightly modified

equipment:
-kept weapon sizes as in 3.5, but explained a little differently (to hopefully make better sense)
-removed repeating crossbows, replaced with double crossbows. crossbows ignore armor DR within short range
-gotten rid of armor spikes and shield spikes
-new rules for using whip (so you can try indiana jones type stuff with it)
-armor now gives some DR
-added stats for helmets (to work with called shot rules in combat section)

running the game:
-alignment is now optional for all creatures except for some magical creatures from an alignment plane or dimension, clerics with an alignment domain, and champions
-added rules for karma points that can be used to affect game mechanics and dice rolls
-added sleep rules (to be used in extreme cases, like with the extreme environment rules)
-modified exhausted and fatigued conditions to affect characters mentally as well as physically
-rules for legendary items (items that gain powers simply be being used by heroic characters)

combat:
-removed all mention of 'squares' I could find
-AC becomes Defense. 10 + one half BAB + armor bonus + shield bonus + dex mod + size mod
-armor gives DR. natural armor DR and armor DR are the only DR's to stack.
-extended rules for taking massive damage that includes being dazed, staggered, stunned, or unconcious in addition to dying
-rules for taking wounds to the head, arms, or legs
-rules for making called shots (bypass armor DR, cause a wound)

magic:
-made Divination a subschool of Universal
-got rid of the 'arcane' vs 'divine' and made all the spells just 'magic'
-deleted "perform rogue ability" or "1-800-GOD-TALK" spells
augury
bless water: (now a function of channel energy)
commune
contact other plane
curse water
detect doors
detect snares/pits
divination
find traps
heal mount
legend lore
locate creature
locate object
mages lucubration
mnemoic enhancer
-added/modified some spells
2nd lvl animate dead, lesser (create one skel or zombie)
4th lvl 'greater' versions of buff spells that add +4, and moved the normal versions to 2nd level and they only give +2
darkness spells from CZ
-went through the entire spell list changing spells I thought had stupid durations or effects or level
-added rules for overcasting (allow spellcasters without spell slots to still cast spells they know)
-changed metamagic to work like overcasting. you can both metamagic and overcast a spell

Fieari

Explorer
Not a comment on content just at this moment (although in general, I'm finding it quite interesting) but on the formatting of your PDF... when you have lists of abilities, I find that merely italicizing the ability name isn't a big enough seperation between abilities... my eyes keep wandering all over the place, losing track of which line I'm on. Could you either add indents or bold the abilities names or both? Bolding would probably be sufficient. Just something for my poor eyes to latch on to.

Remove ads